What's VOSA's veiw on this?

over the last week i’ve seen a couple of longline scanias pulling 45’ trailers, i’ve also seen what i think was an american kenworth pulling a 45’ step frame box trailer.

So, Do vosa not bother about overall vehicle length?
If not, Why?

Would the driver get fined?
Would he be allowed to continue his journey?
Would the operator be in any trouble?

The ones i’ve seen lately, Didn’t look so over size in so much that they looked out of place on our roads.

i would be interested in what would happen too, i have seen longline scanias on containers which i presume as the trailer would be (i guess) 40 foot, then it wouldnt be overlength?

Ive seen 2 longloines over the last week, one started with REG - MM, presume its Mick Moodys from Moody International and was pulling a fridge, the other was another Silver longline pulling a container… As said thought the overall length was illegal yet it seems 2 operators have got them on the road??

scottishcruiser:
Ive seen 2 longloines over the last week, one started with REG - MM, presume its Mick Moodys from Moody International and was pulling a fridge, the other was another Silver longline pulling a container… As said thought the overall length was illegal yet it seems 2 operators have got them on the road??

it seems that there’s a few about, as it wasn’t those ones that i saw.
maybe they know something we don’t.

there are 3 UK registered ones in the country, well, 2 uk reg and one still belgian reg’d due to it not being transferred over.

one was owned by John F Hogan from Felixstowe, was black and gold, this one is now silver in the hands of Garry George from Tamworth (i believe)

one was for Boons, that is now silver and being run by Moody International, this one does pull 45’ fridge trailers

the last one is still parked in the yard of Romantiek (still on belgian reg plate)

there is a thread about them in the Transport Photo Gallery section

I think they are OK with a 40’ skelly as the container is not actually part of the vehicle, merely the load which is overhanging the vehicle. As for fridges I dunno but I used to see Wolfe European’s big bonneted yank tank pulling a trailer that actually had “Vehicle length 16.5m” on the rear underrun bar.

There’s a jet black one with sidepipes and southern plates pulling for MacBurneys :laughing:

It “pulled” past me on the M62 a few weeks ago and it was a standard 45’ er

8wheels:
I think they are OK with a 40’ skelly as the container is not actually part of the vehicle, merely the load which is overhanging the vehicle. As for fridges I dunno but I used to see Wolfe European’s big bonneted yank tank pulling a trailer that actually had “Vehicle length 16.5m” on the rear underrun bar.

that is because he had a shorter trailer :smiley:

i’m under the impression a t-cab an a longline use the same lenght chassis

a t-cab can pull a 40 ft trailer, but not a 45ft as a ex work collegue found out when he was stopped with a 45ft container on a skelly, althought they couldnt do him as its only the load he was told that had it been a 45ft trailer he would have been over lenght

so i presume a longline or a tcab pulling a 45ft trailer ie fridge is over lenght

there is a 530 topline t-cab pulling a 45ft fridge for mcburneys that i have seen stopped by vosa a while back but seen it the other day still pulling for mcburneys

shuttlespanker:

8wheels:

that is because he had a shorter trailer :smiley:

Should have been 2 sentences :unamused:

i’ve also seen what i think was an american kenworth pulling a 45’ step frame box trailer.

I was thinking of this

there is a 530 topline t-cab pulling a 45ft fridge for mcburneys that i have seen stopped by vosa a while back but seen it the other day still pulling for mcburneys

Aren’t the Irish lads exempt from this? :laughing:

Taxi

haha not too sure there 8 wheels, but what i am sure of it took over me an my dad last tuesday doin some speed !!

limeyphil:
over the last week i’ve seen a couple of longline scanias pulling 45’ trailers, i’ve also seen what i think was an american kenworth pulling a 45’ step frame box trailer.

So, Do vosa not bother about overall vehicle length?
If not, Why?

Would the driver get fined?
Would he be allowed to continue his journey?
Would the operator be in any trouble?

The ones i’ve seen lately, Didn’t look so over size in so much that they looked out of place on our roads.

Yes they do…

Yes the driver gets fined for over length.

The load would have to be adjusted or arrangements made for trans shipping to a shorter vehicle combination within reason.

The operator could end up in bother.

Page 43 onward of this should give an idea… businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … Policy.pdf

if the load is not fixed(ie cars on a transporter,or a removable box),does it not come under exemption from length laws??

buck73:
if the load is not fixed(ie cars on a transporter,or a removable box),does it not come under exemption from length laws??

yerr, a t-cab scania can draw a 40 ft trailer with a 45ft box on

just not a 45ft trailer

buck73:

A car transporter comes within the length laws as cars are the load.

A shipping container of whatever length is “The Load” and therefore not part of the vehicle, so a “T-Cab” can pull a 40ft skelly with a 45ft box on legally. the answer for anybody wanting to do fridge work with a Longline or T-cab Scania etc would be to use a 40ft skelly and an Intermodal reefer unit which would be only marginally heavier than a standard fridge trailer. :unamused: :unamused:

THERE IS 3 IN THE UK
THERE IS A SILVER ONE WHICH USE TO BE BLACK AND GOLD AND USE TO BE OWNED BY JF HOGAN BUT ITS NOW OWNED BY GARRY GEORGE AND IT IS A 580 WITH BLACK AND CREAM COLOUR INTERIOR

THERE IS ANOTHER SILVER ONE WHICH IS OWNED BY MICK MOODY AND IS UP FOR SALE ON HIS WEBSITE AND IT IS A 580 WITH RED AND WHITE INTERIOR

AND THE ONE THAT WAS SITTING IN BANHAMS YARD IS NOW OWNED BY JF HOGAN AND IT IS A 620 WITH GREEN AND WHITE INTERIOR AND ON THE OUTSIDE IT IS BLUE AND WHITE BUT IT IS NOT ENGLISH REGISTERED YET

ALSO I WAS IN FELIXSTOWE TODAY AND I SAW THE 620 ONE

JOBE BEN

There are more than 3 in the UK, I see several over a week just here in the South East.
I have seen them pulling scrap, fridges, containers, low loaders, bulk powder.
All colours, red, silver, black, green, beige/brown, blue and other custom paint jobs too.
Loads of them all over the place!
Also seen a couple of Volvo N730`s on the M25.

att:
There are more than 3 in the UK, I see several over a week just here in the South East.
All colours, red, silver, black, green, beige/brown, blue and other custom paint jobs too.

I reckon your talking about “Bullnoses” (T-Cabs) att, the 3 in question are Longlines with the rear of the cab extended by 4 feet instead of the bonnet extnding forward by the same ammount :exclamation: :wink:

Goaty:

att:

I reckon your talking about “Bullnoses” (T-Cabs) att, the 3 in question are Longlines with the rear of the cab extended by 4 feet instead of the bonnet extnding forward by the same ammount :exclamation: :wink:

I reckon you are right :blush:
Saw a Silver Longline this last week, had a blue Scania Lion or whatever it is they use as an emblem.