What's the score with LMO's currently

The companies I dropped in on when I was in calgary back in March are aparrently having trouble getting LMO’s
Anyone have any inside onfo on the lmo status at the mo?
I thought it was tightening up for the food and hotel industry :
I was hoping to be out and about in calgary early august but it’s not looking too good …

The whole TFW program has been tightened up this week by Government making it harder for Companies to get LMO’s, they have to show more proof of trying to get Canadians to do the job and also I think brought the WP back to 1 year again and only allowed 2 years here now instead of 4 so your PR has to be in process within 2 years which shouldn’t be a problem.
If you go on the CIC.GOV website it should explain it all there.
If you can’t get the info off there, let me know and I’ll PM you where you can.

Thanks Neil, I’ve had a bit of a read up but it seems likely it will take a bit longer to get the lmo I’m after. A couple of the firms I contacted have stated they have completed the appeal interview and are awaiting the result
Fingers crossed!!!

It’s cut down to 10% of the workforce can have a LMO at the cost of $1000 per LMO. Companies are being more choosey now to who they bring over. Plus the whole application process for them is harder and longer.

I thought the 10% was in 2 or 3 years time with something like 30% now, 20% next year and down to 10% the year after. I can’t see it happening though, many companies here have huge foreign driver majorities and while some of them may have PR a heck of a lot won’t and this won’t just apply to trucking. Once all the companies start crying foul, that they’re about to go under etc etc etc I see the Canadian government back tracking and the status quo of almost unlimited amounts of foreigners being allowed in to maintain the status quo of often much less than desirable employment conditions just as they are. At the moment they have to be seen to be tough, it will all be forgotten in two years and these new hard line measures can slowly be reversed or ignored on the quiet. Thats my cynical opinion any how.

10% by 2016. Swift and hard

esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_ … ndex.shtml

info here if the link works :laughing:

I’ve only had a quick glance at the link above but…Where will trucking jobs fall with this low/high wage category? As drivers we generally earn a darn sight more than most people who live in our local areas with the exception of higher level management jobs etc so if there is to be no 10% cap on high wage jobs, which we will probably fall under, does this mean we’ll see no difference as the likes of Ayr Motors, H&R and all the rest can continue running with vast amounts of high turnover foreigners that will cost them $1000 a go instead of $275?

Thanks for the link Russ
Anyone know if there’s a complete stop on issuing LMO’s to companies while all this goes on? One company I have been in touch with have said they are doing a fast track appeal right now but the others have gone very quiet with regards responding to emails :frowning:
I think I’ll have to take the first offer I get (if any) which probably means reefers instead of flat decks but beggars can’t be choosers !

robinhood_1984:
I’ve only had a quick glance at the link above but…Where will trucking jobs fall with this low/high wage category? As drivers we generally earn a darn sight more than most people who live in our local areas with the exception of higher level management jobs etc so if there is to be no 10% cap on high wage jobs, which we will probably fall under, does this mean we’ll see no difference as the likes of Ayr Motors, H&R and all the rest can continue running with vast amounts of high turnover foreigners that will cost them $1000 a go instead of $275?

So its not just me that reads it that way then !! Until I read it I thought it would be reducing the number of TFW`S to 10% overall eventually regardless of income level but again I dont think the information is clear enough - standard practice by CIC in my experience :laughing:

Dereko:
Thanks for the link Russ
Anyone know if there’s a complete stop on issuing LMO’s to companies while all this goes on? One company I have been in touch with have said they are doing a fast track appeal right now but the others have gone very quiet with regards responding to emails :frowning:
I think I’ll have to take the first offer I get (if any) which probably means reefers instead of flat decks but beggars can’t be choosers !

No problem mate, I`ve no idea on the LMO situation as a whole but I know that the company I work for are struggling to get them at the moment but this may just be down to the fact that they are advertising the jobs here with no success and this needs to be done first to justify the LMO applications anyway - best of luck with your quest to come here - feel free to pm me if i can help at all

In short any company over the 30% capped rate will not be issued any LMIA (was LMO) until they are below the 30% then 20% by 01 July 2015 then down to 10%. If you have a current work permit you are allowed to serve out that time. If you need a new one best talk to your boss lol.

It will effect every company with TFWs

So the 30/20/10 limit definitely applies to HGV drivers?

The restriction is on low skilled occupations only, right? And low skilled occupations are simply those that pay less than the median wage in the region?

So if truckers are paid by the mile, how does that translate and compare? At $0.44 per mile, for example, driving at 50mph will yield $22 per hour which is above median in some provinces. Plus allowances?

If I have misunderstood please forgive and correct me.

ORC:
So the 30/20/10 limit definitely applies to HGV drivers?

The restriction is on low skilled occupations only, right? And low skilled occupations are simply those that pay less than the median wage in the region?

So if truckers are paid by the mile, how does that translate and compare? At $0.44 per mile, for example, driving at 50mph will yield $22 per hour which is above median in some provinces. Plus allowances?

If I have misunderstood please forgive and correct me.

Your sums add up but that’s getting $22/hr as long as your wheels are turning, a big majority are paid nothing when waiting for dispatch, waiting to load/unload, pre-trip’s, fueling, log book, etc. etc. This can add up to, many hrs , all unpaid.
Then that soon brings that $22/hr average down.

Atm yea it applies to truck drivers but there are a lot of MPs trying to get AB exempt so have to wait for any updates but for now gotta ■■■■ it up I guess. If I was doing 50mph my dispatch would soon be on the phone asking if I was ok lol

in MB the low/high wage mark is$19hr. for lmo.

Just to add another angle to the debate - spoke to my gaffer last night and he told me there is no impact on companies applying for LMO`s who are bringing people in through a provincial nomination scheme/applying for PR so nothing should change in that respect, its only people who are being brought in as Temp Foreign Workers to then leave afterwards who will see a change in the process.

You’re still classed as a temporary foreign worker though Russ. So would effect drivers

taffytrucker:
You’re still classed as a temporary foreign worker though Russ. So would effect drivers

I understand your point, but the employer has to apply for an LMO stating under what conditions (PNP etc) you are being employed and this becomes part of the conditions of your individual LMO. Therefore if you are coming here under a PNP scheme with the intention of becoming permanent resident you are not subject to these new conditions, this is how my boss explained it to me and apparently it is also stated in the new terms and conditions issued to employers intending to apply for LMO`s. Just simply passing on information by someone involved in the process :wink:

Far as I’m aware until your application is accepted you are still classed as a TFW. So it’s up to that point. When they apply for LMO the paperwork as far as I’m aware is the same if you’re staying for 2 yrs or plan on going for PR. I could be wrong mind