What's the point!

Afternoon all, I’ve recently passed my class 2 and got full cpc, smart and Tacho card, ready to rock n roll, but due to childcare I can’t work Thursday’s. Been to a few agencies but they are saying we can’t find you full time work because of that! (Only offered van work) I’ve rang many companies now asking if they could accommodate that and long story short…No. If the haulage business was that stretched then surely someone could maybe give me a break [CRYING FACE] seems like I’ve thrown £1600 out the window. What more can I do? Thank you Peep’s.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Keep trying fella,most companies run 7 days a week,I do Friday to Tuesday so it’s possible to get a start,where abouts are you someone here will have an idea where to try.

Thanks for your reply pal, I’m from Taunton Somerset.

This might help

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141150&p=2224054&hilit=Taunton#p2224054

A cracking post thanks pal, people have told me just to walk into places and hand out my cv, but I feel a little embarrassed to do so and a good chance they’ll just push me out as I have no experience! Sorry on being so negative just wasn’t what I was expecting once passed.

Remember that the majority of agencies are scum mate, and will use and abuse you!
So, put your morals and integrity aside for the minute and play the game… :wink:

You obviously need experience and that may be the main reason you’re not getting any luck with employers So why don’t you sign up with some agencies to do a weeks work, and sadly find yourself feeling a bit under the weather on the Thursday! :laughing: OK you may not be able to play that card for long, but you need to get your foot in the door and once you’ve exhausted your other options, it may be the best/only option left open to you.

Best of luck! :smiley:

I’m in a similar situation as I am the one that has to change their hours for childcare in our family. I found that Palmer & harvey are very accommodating.

When I say accommodating I obviously mean that they are so short of drivers they’re grateful when you turn up. I’m aware that in the depot I work the offer 4 day shifts and via an agency I tend to pick and choose the days I work.

It maybe worth taking a look at the Bristol area which has a large number of hubs and seeing which agency works with whom.

P & H and brakes both have depots in Bristol - hard graft but if the hours fit around childcare then it maybe worth it.

As evil said play them at their own game and earn the cash if you don’t some bugger else will.
As for knocking on doors with a cv,you will get more respect by taking the time by getting out and about asking it will and does work,even if they aren’t taking on transport managers are nosey buggers they know who’s taking on and can point you in the right direction,also if you said the TM from this firm sent me to ask is worth more than anything as the guy your seeing will know he wouldn’t have sent you if he didn’t think you are good enough.
Also it gives you the chance to give the place the once over before you walk in,never get that posting a cv in a post box.

Put your work gear in the car if they need someone tell them you can start now,bingo you get a days work and the TM will think more of you.

I really can’t see you having issues finding a place working over the weekend.

Try ADR Network. I know they have the contract for Palmer and Harveys and they hire guys for 3 days a week.

Thanks for all your advice guys, really appreciate your time, I’ve found an agency that will take me on working for DHL, Question: they want me to do an assessment for a day, please could someone tell me what’s involved? Again thanks all.

mcleemo:
Thanks for all your advice guys, really appreciate your time, I’ve found an agency that will take me on working for DHL, Question: they want me to do an assessment for a day, please could someone tell me what’s involved? Again thanks all.

Going off some assessment I’ve had…

Probably a few questions on tachograph rules and WTD and then bit of driving. Treat it like a test. Plenty of mirrors, forward planning etc. Maybe some reversing simulating some tight deliveries they may use regular. Don’t be too afraid of making the odd mistake as a decent assessor SHOULD help you out a bit.

Good luck

mcleemo:

Be prepared for a whole day there, will start with a theory test you have to get a certain amount right to pass, fail this and you won’t be working there. Then a driving assessment, as has been said just drive as though you’re on test. Then loads of paperwork on safety with questions, the answers are all in the papers you read and you can look back through, this bit is just to drum health and safety into you and isn’t pass/fail so don’t worry about it too much it’s just time consuming and a bit mind numbing at times. Then a lesson on defensive driving with the instructor driving first to demonstrate before you have a go. Again this bit is not pass fail and if you get that far assume that you will be working there. The defensive driving is actually very good for a new driver to learn. And remember they don’t want anyone to fail the assessment so don’t get too nervous. I actually quite enjoyed mine.

Sounds like double manned home deliveries. Good luck with that! :laughing:

Yes pal double manned home delivery, is it ■■■■??

mcleemo:
A cracking post thanks pal, people have told me just to walk into places and hand out my cv, but I feel a little embarrassed to do so and a good chance they’ll just push me out as I have no experience! Sorry on being so negative just wasn’t what I was expecting once passed.

Bit late, but don’t be worried about calling in. Keep it brief and be polite and no problem - sometimes you’ll get a short answer but don’t take it personally, the phone call 5 mins ago was to say that a trucks had a blowout on the M6, never going to put someone in a good mood.

Good luck with the assessment.