What's the point in reporting posts?

So the forum rules are quite clear here, but I’ll copy and paste them again so theres no misunderstanding.

“Baiting other members
Posting simply to get a rise out of another/other members will simply lead to the poster no longer being able to post without their posts being scrutinised first no warnings- it will just happen. any such posts will be removed
the arbitors of this will be the admin team.”

As I’m browsing the forum I come across this:

Rowley010:
Truck was overtaking me on the M6 tonight. As it got as far as my window I could see it was a tnt truck. Seeing as they all drive like bell ends I wound up the cruise control to it’s limit to leave him out there for a while.

Now I’m never going to be a brain surgeon, but I could tell where it was going and sure enough i wasnt disapointed. But me being me, i gave it the benefit of the doubt.

Some time later, the following post appears:

jakethesnake:

Rowley010:

jakethesnake:
Rowley you have disappointed me. I hope you are not going to turn into one of unprofessional lot. :wink:
As you know I need your support as some seem to make excuses for all these bad drivers but I may have to go back to my ONE man crusade. :laughing:

Keep at em lad. :wink:

It didn’t happen jake. I wouldn’t really do that.

Good Man, I did not think you would lower your standard to that of the average ■■■■■. :laughing:
But you got all the usual tribe going and brightened the forum up at the same time.

Top work. :wink:

I’ve left the original quote in for context.

So here we have a post that appears to be pure bait which is then confirmed by the poster themselves to be false AND acknowledged to be a bait post by another user.

So, I follow community guidelines and use the report button. A short time later I got an email off a mod saying the matter was closed (the exact wording escapes me right now). So imagine my surprise when I log in the next day to see the thread and post still intact on the front page of the board.

The rules say baiting isnt allowed, the op confirms it was a baiting post, it’s been reported, yet nothing is done. Yes, I accept the point that not taking the bait results in boredom for the troll. But if we’re to be self policing, what’s the point of the report function?

If people are dumb enough to bite and respond to the obvious baiting then they get what they deserve. If you don’t give them the audience they yearn for, eventually they give up and go away. Most of the threads generate 2-3 pages of angry responses which emboldens them to create even more trolling threads.

All I will say is… Patience.

There’s a process and (depending on time availability of staff) issues can vary in their time to be resolved.

Creating threads like this does not speed up any (if there are any that is) actions or decisions.

R420:
If people are dumb enough to bite and respond to the obvious baiting then they get what they deserve. If you don’t give them the audience they yearn for, eventually they give up and go away. Most of the threads generate 2-3 pages of angry responses which emboldens them to create even more trolling threads.

That’s pretty much my point. Unless I have a (in my opinion) witty retort I’ll either reply as if it was genuine or ignore.

But since theres so many on here that cant do that, we have the report function. But if that’s ineffective, what the point?

When one of the posters I quoted say the offending post “brightened the forum up”, it makes you think that its permitted because it increases traffic.

Reef:
All I will say is… Patience.

There’s a process and (depending on time availability of staff) issues can vary in their time to be resolved.

Creating threads like this does not speed up any (if there are any that is) actions or decisions.

Thanks for the reply reef. The only reason I posted this was because the email said (and I’ve just checked the wording) “the report was afterwards closed”.

Now if it had said “being looked into” or “we’re busy, please wait” or any words that suggested decisions or action were pending, I wouldn’t have posted. But “report closed” is pretty definitive.

Nite Owl:
The only reason I posted this was because the email said (and I’ve just checked the wording) “the report was afterwards closed”.

Now if it had said “being looked into” or “we’re busy, please wait” or any words that suggested decisions or action were pending, I wouldn’t have posted. But “report closed” is pretty definitive.

Hi Nite Owl,

I can clarify this for you.

We have built in forum software, so many of the functions have pre-determined automatic replies.

The volunteer Mod/Admin Team all have jobs/lives, so we’re not a 24/7 operation that are available to type customised replies.

:bulb: The point of reporting something is to bring it to our attention, then we look into it… at times of our availability. Then we discuss reports (and other stuff) in the Mods’ Forum away from public view to (normally) arrive at a proportionate response.

We’ve had lots of reports on this and other issues, but we generally give people enough rope to hang themselves, then there are less complaints to deal with afterwards.

Softly softly catchee monkey, but we always catch 'em. :wink:

dieseldave:

Nite Owl:
The only reason I posted this was because the email said (and I’ve just checked the wording) “the report was afterwards closed”.

Hi Nite Owl,

We have built in forum software, so many of the functions have pre-determined automatic replies.

The volunteer Mod/Admin Team all have jobs/lives, so we’re not a 24/7 operation that are available to type customised replies.

:bulb: The point of reporting something is to bring it to our attention, then we look into it… at times of our availability. Then we discuss reports (and other stuff) in the Mods’ Forum away from public view to (normally) arrive at a proportionate response.

We’ve had lots of reports on this and other issues, but we generally give people enough rope to hang themselves, then there are less complaints to deal with afterwards.

Hi Diesel Dave, thanks for the response.

I appreciate that you all have real lives out there in the real world which was why I was so surprised at the swift email. Being automated explains that I suppose.

It was the wording of the email that led me to believe a certain path was being followed when in fact, as you’ve just described, things are still in the process of being discussed. Would it be possible to amend the content of the auto email to clarify the process to prevent future confusion?

As for catching them all, any chance of you joining the England cricket team? :wink:

Nite Owl:

dieseldave:

Nite Owl:

Hi Nite Owl,

Hi Diesel Dave, thanks for the response.

I appreciate that you all have real lives out there in the real world which was why I was so surprised at the swift email. Being automated explains that I suppose.

It was the wording of the email that led me to believe a certain path was being followed when in fact, as you’ve just described, things are still in the process of being discussed. Would it be possible to amend the content of the auto email to clarify the process to prevent future confusion?

As for catching them all, any chance of you joining the England cricket team? :wink:

Hi Nite Owl,

It’s purely a coincidence if something gets what looks like an instant response.

I can’t speak for others’ lives, but in my own case, sometimes I’m on ‘live’ as I work from home, but at other times it can easily approach 24hrs between my visits. It’s all rather unpredictable, but that’s because my work involves me wearing two different hats, but since there’s no crossover, I can’t wear them both at the same time!! :smiley:

The wording on some of the automated emails is a thing that comes up from time to time, but TBF, it’s not a high priority.