What's the longest you have spent away from home working in

A TRUCK

My longest is 6 weeks on 1 week off

Exactly one night.

16 hours :blush:

13 weeks but… weekends in hotels.

107 days. Did a roadshow for Xerox when the first digital photocopier was launched.

Went to Geneva, Zurich, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Warsaw, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Moscow (again), Kiev, Bucharest, Istanbul, Belgrade. I did spent time at venues in hotels though.

Naturally I only got the job because of being one of the undeserving “if your face fits Elite”. :stuck_out_tongue:

a place i worked in a few years ago got a phone call from a drivers family in donegal asking if he still worked there,and if so,could they tell him his sister was getting married in 2 months and would he come home for the wedding as they hadnt heard from him for the last 8 months since he started doing euro work
another mad for tar cowboy wired to the moon.
i know who he was,but i never found out if he made it back in time. :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
a place i worked in a few years ago got a phone call from a drivers family in donegal asking if he still worked there,and if so,could they tell him his sister was getting married in 2 months and would he come home for the wedding as they hadnt heard from him for the last 8 months since he started doing euro work
another mad for tar cowboy wired to the moon.
i know who he was,but i never found out if he made it back in time. :slight_smile:

Lol friend of mine was away for 8 weeks after 6 weeks his wife rang where he worked and asked if there was any chance of her husband coming home, to which the reply was “Don’t know he hasn’t worked here for the last 2 weeks” Turned out he’d done a runner to Tipperary with some new doll :smiley: :smiley:

Regularly do 2/3 month music tours.

Harry Monk:
107 days. Did a roadshow for Xerox when the first digital photocopier was launched.

Went to Geneva, Zurich, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Warsaw, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Moscow (again), Kiev, Bucharest, Istanbul, Belgrade. I did spent time at venues in hotels though.

Naturally I only got the job because of being one of the undeserving “if your face fits Elite”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hotels thats cheating no hotels only truck that was half a holiday

Bigtruck3:

Harry Monk:

Hotels thats cheating no hotels only truck that was half a holiday

Just staying in the truck, I did several runs of 4-6 weeks and occasionally a bit more.

5 months . That comprised of 2 tours back to back . I never even got back to our home yard before having to ring the wife to tell her I’d be home at xmas !! :laughing:

I did 6 week trips fair number of times. The R&G lads did that regularly.
On one occasion I did over 3 months without sleeping in my own bed. Shipped in on the Sun morn and out the same night, but never stayed the night. Free ferry trips with free cabin and food, tractor unit left in France. No computer generated tickets then!
In the past dozen years, just one full weekend out. I enjoyed that life while I was at it, but am happy doing 5day weeks now.

I regularly did between 13 to 16 weeks at Norman Lewis Tankers, in the days of proper European work. It was only when I bought a house I started getting home sick. Its the reason I have only just married the girl of my dreams, 29 years later, we didn’t want to rush things. :laughing:

Numerous Middle East trips in my younger days last an average 6 to 8 weeks although i did spend almost 3 months clearing into kuwait once.That was boring.

Bigtruck3:
A TRUCK

My longest is 6 weeks on 1 week off

Was this when you were a tour truck driver making tea and cleaning toilets etc etc, a short tour then !! eh BillyBigtruck3

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

6 weeks away and a week home. Same as OP.

25 hours… Normal duty start 16:00, but didn’t get home until 17:00 the following day, because I got snowed out that night.

Night Heater is a life-saver in these situations of course…

Geoffo:
6 weeks away and a week home. Same as OP.

I tell a lie. It was actually 3 Months once about 20 years ago.
Strangely enough the Wife reminded me.

3 months…

Was the longest stint I did.

UK to Spain to France swap trailers to Portugal to France swap trailers to Spain to Italy to France swap trailers to Spain and so on. But two months was usually the average. No wife no kids good money it suited me at the time.