Whats the Job situation around Doncaster

Hey Guys

My partner and I are seriously considering moving to or around Doncaster from Cambridgeshire to be closer to family

My main concern is what work is actually available there??

Are the agencies like down here, ask you to register and then you find the truth they dont have any work. What is that all about??

I have held my licence for 17 years, no points, and have done many different types of work, Prob know more about different types of gearbox etc than someone who has had only a few truck in their career

I do however love fridge work, curtainsiders are ok, but i draw the line at rope and sheeting, never learnt how to rope up, tried but gave up lol

Hope you guys can help me, So need to move but so need the work

Thanks in advance
Sophie
Pink Lady trucker

Theres plenty enough work around. It just depends on how much you need it to be consistent to be a regular wage. As it’s typical “post Xmas” some agency drivers are only getting 3+ days a week. But those I know of aren’t as willing to be more flexible which is why they’re only getting 3 days. As you probably know the agencies around Doncaster cover the Doncaster DN postcode & beyond. That alone covers S.Humberside, parts of Lincolnshire etc. So you may need to travel some distance to a site on agy. Stobbies at Goole, David Price, Netto & Next at South Elmsall & Armthorpe, Asda at Redhouse, bibby’s at Scunthorpe & a couple of places at immingham may be among the places the Doncaster agencies my want you to go. Pay structure isn’t great with the likes of d price paying a set £100ish per day. Others will pay above average per hour but as a flat rate, or time & half after 1st 10hrs. Whichever way you look at it, it still averages out the same in a round about way

Take a look at the agencies along netherhall rd, or speak to them and see how it goes from there

You have a PM would help to know which part of Doncaster you are looking at moving to as Pierre said it covers a large area depending on where you live could depend on where best for work. Good luck

Thank you Peirre and esp thanks to Norfolknewbie for your PM

OMG what a PM

1st day on Trucknet lol, I cant thank you enough for details of these companies, it sure will help in our decision, as to where in Doncaster, We looked at Sprotborough which i like so much, and then there is Bessacarr and Armthorpe, but until we both are convinced that one of us has a job, then where actually we are going to live is up in the air, as my partner is a uncertain driver who gets lost so easy lol, she is great on long runs thou

Doncaster seems to be the center of Leeds, Sheffield and Goole, We’ve family in Manchester and Redcar, so Doncaster seems to be the logical center for us, far enough away from family to have a life, but close enough to visit lol

Thanks again guys, will call those companies and see what they say :smiley:

PinkLadyTrucker:
We’ve family in Manchester and Redcar,

I’m sorry to hear that. :laughing:

Ken.

Quinny:

PinkLadyTrucker:
We’ve family in Manchester and Redcar,

I’m sorry to hear that. :laughing:

Ken.

i know fancy being unlucky enough to pull 2 short straws. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

LOL @ you two. True though. :laughing:

I think you should be careful moving to Doncaster as it’s not an area that has a huge choice of trucking jobs, and those that do exist are generally a bit lower paid that those, say, in the Leeds area. They are also very spread out round there so be very prepared to do a lot of travelling, which, with fuel costs as they are and rising, will end up taking quite a chunk out of your income. Commuting to Leeds from Doncaster for work is fair drive, less so for Sheffield.

If you want the best pick of the work up here in God’s country :stuck_out_tongue: you’d be better positioning yourself around south Leeds as there’s a very good choice of work between Wakefield and Halifax along the M62 corridor, most of which is reasonably accessible without having to drive far off the motorway.

yer u would be better traveling 2 leeds 4 work especially south leeds there is loads of work on agencies there is a agency what my company uses and i see the same drivers in everyday of the week some have been in 4 2 yrs

:laughing: Ken and JD - Some peeps cant help drawing the short straws :smiley: :laughing:

Rob K and Arlamatt

Good advice, Its been a while since i drove on M62, and I remember a Asda at Normanton I think it was, and then further west a huge Industrial / distribution estate

And looking at the bigger picture, Ok I may have to drive for 30 mins for work, and thankfully i have a eco’ish car 60mpg plus on Motorway at trucker speeds :slight_smile: that Doncaster so appeals so much to us both

Many thanks to you all, You have placed my mind at ease that work shouldnt be so much of a prob up in Gods country, Next thing to do, is get my partner in work, which should be relatively easy

Oh then House hunting, and getting married, OMG what I have I got myself into, More stress :laughing:

Thanks again Guys

Sophie

PinkLadyTrucker:
We looked at Sprotborough which i like so much, and then there is Bessacarr and Armthorpe,

Well, Sprotborough and Bessacarr are villages full of 'Ten Bob Millionaires"! Don’t ever think of taking your truck home if you live in one of the villages - you’ll be sentenced to death if you do!

Armthorpe is an ex-mining village with good and bad parts.

One place you could try for jobs is DHL at Tickhill. (Another village full of ‘Ten Bob Millionaires’!

There are loads of companies in and around Doncaster,Tesco,(Tesco -Stobarts at Goole)Next at,South Elmsall ,Corton Wood and Armthorpe,Parcelnet (Hermes) at Sth Elmsall and Corton Wood (same site/warehousing as Next) , Nobbys at Armthorpe,Superdrug ,sth Elmsall,and at B&Q Redhouse…Just reopened after rebuilding warehouse.The only trouble is getting on as most jobs advertised are agencies,its a way in but if your after permanant work you may find it a little harder to find.

As already stated it depends where you want to live,Doncaster is only a Town but covers a large area.Leeds,Casleford,Normanton,Wakefield all within half hour if you live near the A1.Live near the M18 and your looking at Scunthorpe and Goole poss’ Hull to the north ,or south its Sheffield or Rotherham.Good luck.

Mick - Next and Hermes (Parcelnet) are at Manvers, Wath=upon-Dearne not Cortonwood, are Alba still at Cortonwood?

Thank you Mick and Norfolknewbie
Will be contacting these places asap, esp now that I know where and who, I can start to organise things a whole lot better

Killsville - 10 bob millionaires, haven’t heard that one for a while, prob since i escaped Manchester in the late 80’s
But those areas actually sound like the places that I am so used to living down in Cambridgeshire in village or non estate locations

Anyways Guys, Many Many thanks, and be sure to give me honk on ya horns when you see a new lady trucker driving around Doncaster, probably getting lost - NOT lol

See ya out on the roads soon guys

Sophie
Pink Lady Trucker

alba was still at cortonwood last time i knew, there is symphony bathrooms along the grimethorpe bypass aswell.

That sprotborough is full off wanna be toffs aswell. :laughing:

nisa at scunthorpe use to always want drivers but dropped wages last i heard, I here benton brothers always require drivers? :unamused:

steve07:
alba was still at cortonwood last time i knew, there is symphony bathrooms along the grimethorpe bypass aswell.

That sprotborough is full off wanna be toffs aswell. :laughing:

nisa at scunthorpe use to always want drivers but dropped wages last i heard, I here benton brothers always require drivers? :unamused:

Bentons go through many a driver once they have done a few weeks an realise there on peanuts they leave to drive the local dustcart for loads more dosh!

autologic based in doncaster are looking for drivers,if you fancy transporters.

buck rogers:
autologic based in doncaster are looking for drivers,if you fancy transporters.

Hi Buck rogers (btw love the name :slight_smile: )

I dont mind most work, only thing with Transporters, is dont you do loads of nights out? one thing I haven’t done for many years, and to be honest, I dont mind 1 or 2, but its a definite no to all week, as I do like to spend time at home and chill with my partner.

I did go for a assessment with MCD of Queen Adelaide nr Ely, sent to somewhere near Runcorn for the assessment, but failed it, Dam old Dafs with the crash box, the assessor expected everyone to be able to drive those antiques, Why, Caus when the MAN was in for service you had to drive a DAF :smiling_imp:

I could never manage to drive those type of gear box, thankfully no one else i worked for had them

First think that comes to my mind when I hear Doncaster is an article in a book I used to learn English from.
In that article Doncaster is a town of boarded up shops and shut down factories, unemployment and despair, not even “public conveniencies” in the city centre, all summed up by the last quote “there’s nothing to do, people just stay at home and watch TV”.

It all might have changed, it’s been some time ago…

killsville:
'…Bessacarr … village full of ‘Ten Bob Millionaires"! Don’t ever think of taking your truck home if you live in one of the villages - you’ll be sentenced to death if you do…’

Bessacarr was a very respectable suburb within a half hour walk south of Donny when I lived there (Stoops Lane) in the 80’s. I agree that a parked up unit wouldn’t be ‘their’ ideal.

It is essentially a 60’s-70’s build estate and appeared to still be respectable when I stalked my old rented place recently. I’d not hesitate to return.

Maybe pop into the The Flying Childers pub on the estate to see how it is?

killsville:
One place you could try for jobs is DHL at Tickhill.

alas I know they’re not taking on ATM the work is slack right now
The number of agency drivers onsite today (tues) totals 8 With start times 00:00-04:00
+1(me) on another contract, a job which myself & a mate share out between us, & guard furiously
Whereas normally they’d use 20-40 agency drivers per day, and to cap it off the main agency has just chopped the Sunday rate by £1 p/hr from sun 6th feb with a review on the other rates currently in progress.