Whats the crack with this 2yrs experince shite

is it just me or is it a bit of a joke :unamused:

been phoning around all morning trying to get my brother some work as class 1 or class 2 and all you ever get it 2yrs experince or got to be over 25 .

quite frustrating you get all these numptys that have been sat on there licnce for few years but dont have a clue what to do then you get someone that actualy does no the game and wont be given a chance .

if theres anywhere or anyone on the forum who is in a postion to offer him some work would be great .

clean licence
digi card

been working in haluage industruy with myself and family for more years than can remember , knows the score and would say can do the job just as good as someone who has been doing it few yearā€™s .

spent last few months doing internatniol work and got on fine

dont mind traveling for right job would prefer nights out if there is fair bit of traveling involved to and from work and dont mind been away all week .

many thanks

Its the insurance companies who do this, you have to pay a higher premium for a new driver. Strangely, you donā€™t need two years experience, you just have to have held your licence for two years. Keep plugging away though, youā€™ll find something.

Two years experience AND be over 25 is the norm in this industry now, just be thankful your brother :exclamation: isnā€™t only 18 or so, that would be a while to wait and a hell of a waste of money on a license - unless you can find someone who will employ a youngster.

thats the problem only had his class 1 few months and got lucky been offerd a postion before even passing his test by a o/d . went to work following week doing internatniol work .

he is under 25 but does actualy no the haluage game very well seen so called experinced drivers that couldnt drive a nail into a bored with a sledge hammer but there employable because has it for 2yrs with no experince silly realy .

i no some companys do have policys in place as been doing few agency jobā€™s that everyone else fetchs the truck back with damage from west street market in london so not the best of runs but its work .

I can understand your frustration, but unfortunately we are in a recession and there are too many good and experienced drivers who through no fault of their own are out of work. so if anybody is recruiting at the moment, they are likely to go for a safe pair of hand and not take a risk with a ā€œnewbieā€ or younger driver. He will just have to keep plugging away until things pick up or get lucky, I presume he is doing the rounds himself as well, as many have said before, getting your face noticed in the transport offices/yards for the right reasons (presentable, keen and enthusiastic) can help when companies are looking for drivers.

Good luck.

psv8:
thats the problem only had his class 1 few months and got lucky been offerd a postion before even passing his test by a o/d . went to work following week doing internatniol work .

he is under 25 but does actualy no the haluage game very well seen so called experinced drivers that couldnt drive a nail into a bored with a sledge hammer but there employable because has it for 2yrs with no experince silly realy .

i no some companys do have policys in place as been doing few agency jobā€™s that everyone else fetchs the truck back with damage from west street market in london so not the best of runs but its work .

I just wish that I could have found someone to have given me a start straight out on international work when I got my licence class 2 at 21 and class 1 at 24 because I knew that there wasā€™nt any point in having a 1 at under 25.The 25 rule has been there for years and I canā€™t work out how it was that he found an owner driver whoā€™d give him a start under 25 just after passing the test with a wagon on international work.Iā€™ve often said on here all the things which would be in place if carlsberg did haulage and getting a class 1 at 21 and getting a job on international the week after passing the test would be one of them.Itā€™s more likely that heā€™ll spend years on local distribution and whatever other uk stuffā€™s going if heā€™s lucky and if heā€™s really lucky heā€™ll get an international job who knows when?.Unless that owner driver can get him back on with him again or he takes the lesson he learnt there and becomes an owner driver himself.

thanks for the replys .

he his actualy 23 and a o/d approached him after seeing him shunting trailers about , the o/d was just doing some subbing for them at the time is other trucks did internatniol work he was just doing local stuff and asked my brother if he wanted a job .

he was away 6weeks at a time dring a 06plate 530 topline pulling a new freezer behind it , both always come back in same condition they left the uk in , he chose to leave due to 6weeks away at a time was a bit much , money was ok though , the o/d has supplied with refrence to give to new enployers and said there is always a job there should he wish to go back .

if things dont start inproving will be forced to go the o/d route and both of us work at it together as both have plenty of background.

he would rather do uk work though

psv8:
thanks for the replys .

he his actualy 23 and a o/d approached him after seeing him shunting trailers about , the o/d was just doing some subbing for them at the time is other trucks did internatniol work he was just doing local stuff and asked my brother if he wanted a job .

he was away 6weeks at a time dring a 06plate 530 topline pulling a new freezer behind it , both always come back in same condition they left the uk in , he chose to leave due to 6weeks away at a time was a bit much , money was ok though , the o/d has supplied with refrence to give to new enployers and said there is always a job there should he wish to go back .

if things dont start inproving will be forced to go the o/d route and both of us work at it together as both have plenty of background.

he would rather do uk work though

Check out some of the stuff which I wrote on hours topics.The best way to run international is with two of you or more or youā€™ll get no homelife.But two of you should be able to run out to Italy etc. and back on around a week and a half on week and a half off rota?.But I canā€™t understand what type of operation needs 6 weeks on at a time unless youā€™re running part loads all over the place between countries instead of full loads UK-Italy-UK etc?.If heā€™d rather do UK work then his chances should be much better of finding something than international because I always found that everyone (rightly) wanted international not UK.

psv8:
is it just me or is it a bit of a joke :unamused:

been phoning around all morning trying to get my brother some work as class 1 or class 2 and all you ever get it 2yrs experince or got to be over 25 .

quite frustrating you get all these numptys that have been sat on there licnce for few years but dont have a clue what to do then you get someone that actualy does no the game and wont be given a chance .

if theres anywhere or anyone on the forum who is in a postion to offer him some work would be great .

clean licence
digi card

been working in haluage industruy with myself and family for more years than can remember , knows the score and would say can do the job just as good as someone who has been doing it few yearā€™s .

spent last few months doing internatniol work and got on fineā€¦

With the greatest of respect mate - I know heā€™s your brother, but why are you making phonecalls/enquires about possible vacancies, on behalf of a 23 year old?

I mean heā€™s an adult and with all his experience surely heā€™s capable of picking up the phone himself? If heā€™s to give himself any chance at all, heā€™d be better speaking to potential employers himself.

because he his doing multi drops around london with fresh meat all day so i think other road users would appreciate i did it rather than him

and there not to no that it aint him on the other end of the phone are they realy :smiley:

psv8:
because he his doing multi drops around london with fresh meat all day so i think other road users would appreciate i did it rather than him

and there not to no that it aint him on the other end of the phone are they realy :smiley:

Pity youā€™re not twins - you could have done the interviews for him as well! :laughing:

Anyway, I hope he finds something.

Whats the 06 530 hes driving? You mean 560?

Whats wrong with the continental work hes doing?

scottishcruiser:

Youā€™ve read it wrong he was doing international he chucked it in for London multidrop.But then again it was 6 weeks away at a time so maybe canā€™t blame him.

scottishcruiser:

am just presuming it was 530 it pulled like a train so who knows

he dont mind been away 1-2weeks at a time its just the 6week away back 3days then back off again for 6weeks , the work in genreal was fine apat from the numptyā€™s in germany amongst other placeā€™s

psv8:

scottishcruiser:

he dont mind been away 1-2weeks at a time its just the 6week away back 3days then back off again for 6weeks , the work in genreal was fine apat from the numptyā€™s in germany amongst other placeā€™s

But thatā€™s one of the reasons that the O/D gave him a chance, 6 weeks away is alot for many people, so maybe he had trouble finding somebody and a keen 23 year old without commitments might be more likely to stick it out.

Although you might sing you brothers praises as a good driver, how is a haulage company (or more likely an insurance company) supposed to know from just a phone call or interview? So they assume that by the time you have 2 years experience and reached 25 you are reasonably capable, we know that this is a general rule, but thatā€™s how life works Iā€™m afraid to say. If you want a job without experience of under 25 you need to knock on doors of the smaller less fasionble companies and hope you find somebody who wants a driver and is willing to take on a less experienced one either because they canā€™t find drivers or because they like to take drivers and train them up their way.

I think most of us found it tough getting the first job and things arenā€™t good out there at the moment, so keep plugging away and good luck.

Carryfast:
Check out some of the stuff which I wrote on hours topics.The best way to run international is with two of you or more or youā€™ll get no homelife.But two of you should be able to run out to Italy etc. and back on around a week and a half on week and a half off rota?.But I canā€™t understand what type of operation needs 6 weeks on at a time unless youā€™re running part loads all over the place between countries instead of full loads UK-Italy-UK etc?.If heā€™d rather do UK work then his chances should be much better of finding something than international because I always found that everyone (rightly) wanted international not UK.

Not that difficult to understand I would have thought. The job is either tipping and reloading in the UK and shipping straight back out again or itā€™s reloading near where itā€™s tipped for just about anywhere. Only gets home when the trucks in for service or whatever. The only way to do international as far as Iā€™m concerned, minimises the ferry costs.
Then again, it could take six weeks to get where ever itā€™s going and back again.

enit?:

Carryfast:

Not that difficult to understand I would have thought. The job is either tipping and reloading in the UK and shipping straight back out again or itā€™s reloading near where itā€™s tipped for just about anywhere. Only gets home when the trucks in for service or whatever. The only way to do international as far as Iā€™m concerned, minimises the ferry costs.
Then again, it could take six weeks to get where ever itā€™s going and back again.

Exactly what I said?.Load up UK ship out get tipped Italy or wherever load up back again tip UK.Ship straight back out again but using the other driver while the first one has some time at home until the next return run when the second driver gets his time off.Canā€™t see how youā€™re minimising ferry costs by using one driver instead of sharing the that job between 2 drivers and itā€™s all UK out and return loads.But no one could realistically keep up an International tramping job where youā€™re away for 6 weeks continuously with no decent time off at home between runs unless they want a life like a prisoner tied to a truck cab.But maybe 6 weeks on 4 weeks off would make that job great?. But six weeks to ā€˜get somewhere and straight back againā€™ should mean a round trip of around 10-12,000 miles+ and I canā€™t see as we can go anywhere thatā€™s 5-6,000 miles away in any direction except maybe Mongolia or Kazak?.However maybe that 6 weeks of continous turn arounds might make him rich enough to retire early.

muckles:

psv8:

scottishcruiser:

But thatā€™s one of the reasons that the O/D gave him a chance, 6 weeks away is alot for many people, so maybe he had trouble finding somebody and a keen 23 year old without commitments might be more likely to stick it out.

Although you might sing you brothers praises as a good driver, how is a haulage company (or more likely an insurance company) supposed to know from just a phone call or interview? So they assume that by the time you have 2 years experience and reached 25 you are reasonably capable, we know that this is a general rule, but thatā€™s how life works Iā€™m afraid to say. If you want a job without experience of under 25 you need to knock on doors of the smaller less fasionble companies and hope you find somebody who wants a driver and is willing to take on a less experienced one either because they canā€™t find drivers or because they like to take drivers and train them up their way.

I think most of us found it tough getting the first job and things arenā€™t good out there at the moment, so keep plugging away and good luck.

But doesā€™nt that just sound like support for that old Catch 22 no experience no job?.How can the insurance companies assume that anyoneā€™s got the 2 years experience at 25 if they couldā€™nt get insured to get it in the first place? and I can remember that old ā€˜things areā€™nt good at the momentā€™ one being said to me when I was a new driver around 30 years ago.I knocked on doors as a 21 year old and it landed me with a job with my local council when I should have been running wagon and drags on international work.

What I meant was youā€™d be minimising ferry costs if you didnā€™t keep coming back to the UK. Say, load UK for Spain, Spain for Sweden, Sweden for Portugal, Portugal for Germany, Germany For Italy and so on until the trucks due for service. Bring it back, go home. Service done, load UK and go again.

Years ago I had a similar job with six weeks on, one week off. I found that after three days off I was ready to get going again. Iā€™m single so donā€™t need to be home. If I was married with kids and stuff, it would be different. Maybe.

I would be interested in the rates this operator is getting, the one who can afford to pay 2 drivers enough money for 3 weeks while only getting 2 Italian round trips done. that is not counting the driver taking a legal 24 hour break after 6 shifts regardless of the weekend ban or by being held up in an oft held midweek religious holiday.

Load up UK ship out get tipped Italy or wherever load up back again tip UK.Ship straight back out again but using the other driver while the first one has some time at home until the next return run when the second driver gets his time off

Or better still with the drivers who work for 6 weeks while the other sits on his fanny for 4 weeks.

But maybe 6 weeks on 4 weeks off would make that job great?

Exactly what he said :wink: