What's the best Sat Nav to get?

Hi guys, I’m looking at getting a sat nav for my trucking needs. Could you advise of any decent ones specifically designed for lorry drivers?

Thanks, Simon

I use the Snooper S7000 which they sell at motorway service areas.
It has a good tv for nights out or while waiting around.
Up to 16 multi drop planning.
Live traffic managment for road closures/incidents.
Pair a mobile phone to it to go hands free.
Adr route planning.
Width/height and weight restrictions.
Ask for a discount if you do get one.

Snooper s8000 or tom tom truck both have good reviews pricy though or theres a link on here somewhere where you can get one off ebay for £80 not sure what their like though in my experience you get what you pay for I havr a snooper s7000 very good only problem I have with it is it trys to send you down 7.5 ton weight limit roads but that is because I haven’t bothered updating it too tight to pay 140 quid for a life time update incidently the new ones come with life time updates that and a truckers map you won’t go wrong.

I have the snooper db8500 European and its a cracking bit of kit. Not cheap though, but the digital tv and dab radio are good when you’re waiting to tip/load.

Thanks guys - on having a look around, I’m swaying more towards getting the Snooper S8000. It’s rather pricey tho :open_mouth:

Pricey but it will pay for itself.Why truck drivers have car sat navs is beyond me.If the police direct off a road due to an accident and you do not know the area , you may hit a bridge or get stuck in a lane.
Snooper is a good one.Hope you get the tv in it too.With winter on the way,tv on,cab heater on.Happy days.If go to a computer shop they sell small satchell bags to carry the sat nav around if you have to leave the cab.

I have been using the snooper truckmate pro s2500 and its been brilliant this week (first week of ownership) I was a bit disappointed it sent me along a 7.5 ton road (I didnt drive down as I used my eyes :laughing: ) but then I remembered I had not entered my truck details :blush:
But once you get the tomtom image out of your mind (nothing has as good graphics as tomtom imho) they are great and at £209 delivered with life time map updates a pouch and multi charger extender thrown in, oh and the charger is 12v and 24v.
It also has traffic updates.
Its 4.3" screen but I find that fine, also its just a satnav without all the multimedia bells and whistles but I have all those gizmo’s on my tablet :wink:

Ive been using a regular tomtom on my iPhone/ipad for the past 18 month with no real problems, as long as you dont go through a sign you shouldnt you cant go wrong. If you cant turn down a road keep going to the next one and let it re-route :slight_smile:

toby1234abc:
Pricey but it will pay for itself.Why truck drivers have car sat navs is beyond me.If the police direct off a road due to an accident and you do not know the area , you may hit a bridge or get stuck in a lane.
Snooper is a good one.Hope you get the tv in it too.With winter on the way,tv on,cab heater on.Happy days.If go to a computer shop they sell small satchell bags to carry the sat nav around if you have to leave the cab.

I’m with Toby, if you use a car nav as a new truck driver your asking for stress and trouble. Well worth the extra few pounds for a truck nav, even though you can’t trust them 100% and they need backing up with a good map/google maps they are still better than a car nav.

SB.

Using a car sat nav is how some foreign truck drivers get in to trouble, they get stuck down rural lanes and in villages and towns and end up damaging property.
In most of the Uk, you will now see truck signs with a sign to indicate do not follow sat nav.If in doubt, stop and get out, a five minute walk is cheaper than an expensive crane to come out and lift you out.

Just buy a map

I ordered a map online the same evening I ordered my new sat nav…been using the sat nav a few days, the map still hasnt arrived, go figure :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
This is serious too :blush:

Phillips navigator. Okay and a cheap tom tom.

Had snooper wouldnt trust it one bit pile of rubbish purchased the tomtom great bit of kit but tend to use google maps more than anything its a god send

i pad with google maps you can see exactly where your going and zoom in and see exactly what is down such lanes etc you all no what it is like when you look at end of road and think cant possibly be down there google maps especialy if doing long loads and need to plan the turns you can take for street furniture

You can get new ones of eBay with free map trucking every year and download what ever countries map you want for 60pound all in. 5inch. And 4gb as card. Bargin

Simongrove:
Thanks guys - on having a look around, I’m swaying more towards getting the Snooper S8000. It’s rather pricey tho :open_mouth:

I’ve used the S8000 for a year now & it’s been a good bit of kit, set it up with 14’2" & 16’ height configurations (toggle between the two, depending what trailer I’ve got on) she does have her moments & occasionally sends me onto housing estates (I reckon she must know someone who lives there !) but generally she behaves herself.

Had a problem with the TV when I first got her, but a quick phone call to the admin/techie guys soon sorted it.

Keep meaning to update the map, but I’m not the worlds biggest Geek & I don’t want to wipe the SD card, might give it a try this weekend.

Live incident warnings on my Snoopy S7000 are odd and sometimes bizzare.One came up saying about cars with odd or even number plate numbers to be allowed in this town.
Forest fires in winter warning.
Water mains bursting in the street all over the UK.
Tarmac melting on cool days.
But great TV for nights out.All the Freeview ones.
So watch a film or Babe channel.But they never take their kit off.?

Drift:
I ordered a map online the same evening I ordered my new sat nav…been using the sat nav a few days, the map still hasnt arrived, go figure :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
This is serious too :blush:

The driver trunking the map down to you probably hit one of the missing bridges from the map he was delivering :grimacing:

There’s plenty missing from the Philips Navigator.

never bothered with a truck sat nav, only use the mapping system built into my Samsung s3, beauty of it is you can sat view the route and street view as well, so can check for bridges ect, us it around London, ok it will try and take you down some 7.5 tonne roads but just use some common sense and it will re-route, I mean what happened before we had all this technology?
gut instinct and maps, I personally think people rely on sat nav’s too much now, I use to travel all over Europe without one and just a map to go on :wink: :wink: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Try Sygic Truck simple app to any android. Works great.