Whats the best Digs you ever stayed in?

WARNING LONG STORY !!
Many moons ago when I was about 19 I drove a Ford 0710 D Series 7.5 tonner from London to Yorkshire on a Thursday, approx half a dozen drops, on the way up I started to feel ill man/boy flue- ache all over - week - cold - shivers etc, after completing my deliveries I looked in the RHA mag Road Way “anyone remember that” for some digs found a place turned up and it was a coal yard/merchant out in the sticks.
The man of the house said " put your motor here boy go into the house and the wife will sort you out,
She worked out I was suffering and put me in front of the biggest coal fire I’ve ever seen yes (coal merchant) fed me some sort of home cooked stew and a Whiskey hot tottie to go to bed with.
The eiderdown bed quilt was so heavy and warm I was out like a light.
Fri morning got up full English breakfast clean clobber on only got to run home empty, half way home funny noise ? crawled underneath loose exhaust but OK to get me home, as I was getting back out I hit my head on the air tank drain pin covered I S****T happy days.
I will never forget that woman’s hospitality she was a saint.

Mrs Rileys, Berwick on Tweed. Home from home.

That’s over 50 years ago, but i’ll never forget that dear old lady.

Abercorn Terrace in Leith.
In Southampton near the container terminal,another little old lady who looked after us like we were her sons.

Two senior charming ladies who ran different B&B’s at Lockerbie in the 70’s, i forget one name but Mrs Gould was the other lady, could usually find a bed at one or the other, they weren’t really transport stops as such, i used both regularly.

Rainton Services Ripon was a good lorry driver motel i thought, i had some comfy nights there.

Buffs at Ross on Wye , warm , cosy , like a home from home . Food was spot on , but you had to be recommended by a trusted regular .

Found a digs in South Shields along the sea front, It was home from home one person per room and every room had a TV and It’s own washing facilities, it even had it’s own bar, I said to the owner why don’t you take in tourist’s he said he once did but they only came in the summer season so I decided to just do transport as I have them all year round, It was a hotel lovely place…
Ossie

All I can recall was that it was in South Molton, we had been running concrete sectional buildings from Paddock Wood to Potlington Industrial estate in Barnstaple for months. I parked in the Cattle Market and walked only a short distance back to a turning off what I will call the high street. The lady’s husband drove for a local factory which had something to do with wood chippings, I think it was called Spanboard. A bath, the best rabbit stew I’ve ever tasted, a couple of pints in the nearest pub then sit with the family to watch TV, a bedroom just like home and breakfast at 6am. Couldn’t ask for more.

I used to take Seatrain containers to Felixstowe and the Routemaster Motel was a refreshing change to the run of the mill doss house digs that we had to put up with,used to relish a hot bath,decent grub and finish the night off with a few jars at the bar,a nice evening.

David

Juddian:
Two senior charming ladies who ran different B&B’s at Lockerbie in the 70’s, i forget one name but Mrs Gould was the other lady, could usually find a bed at one or the other, they weren’t really transport stops as such, i used both regularly.

Rainton Services Ripon was a good lorry driver motel i thought, i had some comfy nights there.

The Lockerbie B&B was a word of mouth recommendation from other drivers if it’s the same one I’m thinking of. If you became a regular she would take a photo of the driver and his lorry.

Transport House,Ipswich,near football ground.
Run by a French woman,owned by an American.Immaculate place.

Chris Webb:

Just a bit far out for a dodgy , even for you Chris .

Chris Webb:

Must have been VERY good to tempt you away from hitching home to Sheffield on a dodgy Chris. :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink:

Regards. John.
P. S. Must learn to type faster !!!

Mrs Dorrian…Lockerbie…lovely lady, first class food, spotlessly clean.
The garage we use to park up in got hit by the downed aircraft, her and her house were thankfully OK…

Can’t believe the response thanks guys
how about this one - London to Scotland im 19 years old and didn’t have a clue I had 4 drops Bellshill Glasgow, Dumfries, Carnoustie, fraserburgh, night out in Carnoustie after about two hours of trying to find digs I gave up, in the end asked a bloke why no rooms he said golf tournament ON Doh !!
plan B park up on an Ind Est and sleep on the back shelf of a Bedford TK with a bit of foam,
No Mobile (didn’t exist)
No Radio
No Curtains
No Night heater
Severe Condensation
The only good bit was the Fish n Chips WRAPPED IN PAPER and a can of Coke.
and oh that rattle of the TK engine side flaps. Happy Days. :frowning: :frowning:

Heatherghyll, Crawford (30+ years ago) also the Crawford Arms
Mrs Hingley, Erskine St, Alloa (round about the same time)

Langdons Taunton (more recent times)
and not forgetting my old favourite, Newcroft, Lymington Rd. Torquay - Monica’s breakfasts were to die for!

Steve

Fergie47:
The garage we use to park up in got hit by the downed aircraft, her and her house were thankfully OK…

One of the best digs I have stayed in was in the Brittany region, very nice couple!

pete smith:

Fergie47:

One of the best digs I have stayed in was in the Brittany region, very nice couple!

They have a Dutch lorry driver staying now and then, kind of lowers the tone of the establishment. … :wink:

old 67:

Chris Webb:

Must have been VERY good to tempt you away from hitching home to Sheffield on a dodgy Chris. :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink:

Regards. John.
P. S. Must learn to type faster !!!

:smiley:
I had no option on both occasions I stayed there John. 0600 delivery on a Monday morning at BXL Manningtree ex BP Saltend Hull.
I suppose I could have booked sunday running from Sheffield and had an early start - like 0100-Monday……………………but that would have been against the law.
That would have been fiddling log sheets,tut tut. :grimacing:
Anyway that job out of BP was the dog’s knackers,no point in spoiling it.Anyroad,a steady run back to Doncaster for a dodgy Monday,good breakfast in Woodside Café Rawcliffe Tuesday and run into Saltend about 1100,a bit before time like. :laughing:

I remember going with my grandad who use to work for jj shepherd in oughterbridge on the outskirts of Sheffield he used to run out of Thomas wraggs in loxley with foundry bricks for bsc clydesdale tip there reload out of steetleys at armadale for a back load for Thomas wraggs he booked into digs in Hamilton mr & mrs Montgomery owned it the food was all home made and was amazing as a 7 year old it was a proper adventure my grandad met up with another driver who worked for shell and drove a tanker and while they went to pub I sat in a big leather chair with a bag of sweets the next morning we were greeted with a full English breakfast and harold the tanker driver use to give me 50p for sweets for the journey home

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk