What's so bad about Hoyers?

Did assessment, was offered the job over the phone yesterday, email to follow to confirm. Start sometime next 2 weeks.

£41K over 32 hours, although shifts can be earlies / lates / or weekends etc., but at least you know in advance.

I personally don’t mind weekends to be honest.

32 hours for £41K, sounds ok. Or am I missing something?

This is for the West London terminal right by Heathrow if anyone knows it.

So, what’s the catch?

Did they give you your shift pattern?

There’s one from Hoyer that’s been posted on here before and it’s pretty grim in my opinion so I think that’s the catch for most people. Obviously if it suits you then it’s not an issue.

Also I think I’ve heard that each job is designated a set amount of time and if it takes longer (traffic, rta etc) then you don’t get paid anymore. Not 100% on that though.

Can’t imagine it’s the worst job out there so no harm in trying! It’s not uncommon to have to repay training costs for a job like that if you leave before a certain time though - might be worth asking?

Londontrucker123:
Did assessment, was offered the job over the phone yesterday, email to follow to confirm. Start sometime next 2 weeks.

£41K over 32 hours, although shifts can be earlies / lates / or weekends etc., but at least you know in advance.

So, what’s the catch?

Sounds good. I’m on a few grand less than you, fixed salary, hours and shift are flexible but have so far averaged 32. Also from Heathrow.
What requirements do hoyer have? How many years of driving experience? Do they put you through ADR, or do you need to have it yourself?

crunch13:
Did they give you your shift pattern?

There’s one from Hoyer that’s been posted on here before and it’s pretty grim in my opinion so I think that’s the catch for most people. Obviously if it suits you then it’s not an issue.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … r#p2819305

A driver left where I work to go to Hoyer West London, he’s lasted 9 months & he starts back with us next week, said he wouldn’t wish them on his own worst enemy.

Job wasn’t as sold at interview or on the training, told one thing & then when you’re out on your own, it’s totally different.

Londontrucker123:

So, what’s the catch?

Its bloody London

selby newcomer:
Job wasn’t as sold at interview or on the training, told one thing & then when you’re out on your own, it’s totally different.

Find me a job that isn’t. And this isn’t just in lorry driving either. When I bobbed out of lorry driving back into IT the Systems Technician job I was sold ended up being nothing like it was and way worse than any mis-selling I’ve had in lorry driving which says a lot given almost all my time driving trucks has been for agencies who BS like nobody else.

I just can’t understand why Hoyer operate this shift system. Everywhere I’ve ever worked which has had 24 hour operation has had some drivers who work days, some who work nights, some who work back shift etc on a permanent basis and it’s always because those are the shifts they want to work. Why don’t Hoyer work on the same principal?

It’s 32 hours of schedule work, does not include breaks, waiting to get loaded at terminal which could be 3 or 4 times a day and traffic, or any other issues like problems with tipping. So can be long night shifts and weekend shifts. If u break it down u can get same or better money on agency doing long night and weekend shifts on a hourly rate so not flying around trying to get home. A lot of drivers realise this after a while and move on to a more relaxed working environment. Hence big sign gone up on M62 in mcr trying to recruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take the job do the training which is second to none do your time then move on to better companies. BUT tankers are not the holy grail like they used to be you will be rushing about some terminals suffer with queues and be prepared to visit other terminals if you are near enough to cover there work too

Hold on people.
Am I getting it right?
Hoyer expects its drivers to work for free when they have to wait at loading or unloading points or if they are stuck in traffic or delayed anywhere?
This surely can not be right, can it?
Are these drivers even allowing it to happen?

internetfan:
Hold on people.
Am I getting it right?
Hoyer expects its drivers to work for free when they have to wait at loading or unloading points or if they are stuck in traffic or delayed anywhere?
This surely can not be right, can it?
Are these drivers even allowing it to happen?

All bonus or piece work type pay schemes have been like this, Hoyer are doing things no differently far as i can see it if what is being said is true except calling it hourly pay, it looks like each job is timed as to what it should take.

They’ll have compiled average timings for jobs, in good conditions when everything goes well, and those are what the rate is based on…i just wish it occured once in a while to the tear arses out there every journey time will be noted and averaged out, belting around knocking minutes off only adds up to an effective pay cut when they collate the info and cut the number of hours for the job ion question, but people making rods for their own back is nothing new.
A job should take 9 hours, if you can knock it off in 7 hours good for you, bugger off home, if you get delayed and it takes 11 hours bad luck better luck next time.

I wouldn’t personally consider working for Hoyer because of their shift system, no need for it at all, where i work we have various shift patterns that you can apply (on a seniority basis) to transfer between as and when a vacancy arises, all shifts are permanent earlies lates or nights some include weekend working some don’t, obviously those working weekends pay higher salaries, never heard anyone suggest we all swap about, only the odd few think weekday only workers should get the same as those covering premium shifts.

Doesn’t sound like a job for me.
I expect to be getting paid for all my hours at work, starting from the time I arrive to the time I leave.
Hoyer can keep advertising on every motorway, roundabout and services for as long as they want.
I’ve learned enough about them to be put off for good

Why/how does rota system still be in play in this country?

Should be illegal couldn’t imagine doing early 0300 starts then next week 1800 starts sleep pattern everything is ruined.

But guess some cowboy say yes to everything so these company have it in place

Harry Monk:
I just can’t understand why Hoyer operate this shift system. Everywhere I’ve ever worked which has had 24 hour operation has had some drivers who work days, some who work nights, some who work back shift etc on a permanent basis and it’s always because those are the shifts they want to work. Why don’t Hoyer work on the same principal?

Exactly this!

3 or 4 years ago now I applied for a class 1 job at my local Hovis depot. All seemed good from the hours and pay - then they dropped in that the rota was 7 weeks of days then 7 weeks of nights, okay I suppose you could say at least you were doing “each” shift pattern for a period of time so could adjust, but as Harry makes the point above … why? It potentially makes things unnecessarily awkward with out of work commitments like childcare, family, social activities and so on. My own thinking was some drivers will want days and some will want nights so why make drivers do “both”. Needless to say my interest ended there.