Whats on this?

I have seen these before but never managed to get a picture until now.

In front there was a Police motorbike followed by a Police van then a spare Foden unit and then 2 Landies with gun hatches and then about 4 or 5 of these units and trailers then 2 Landies with gun hatches again and then another Police van and then a Police car after that was a big Renault wagon and drag which looked like a control room and after that 2 minibuses full of soldiers and then a recovery truck.

No doubt its some serious stuff on it i just wondered who knows exactly what it is?.

The motors might not be in the exact order i saw them but its pretty close.

If its something like warheads or armoury why the hell do they use Fodens and Renaults and not something more reliable?.

where abouts / what road did you see it on?

fresh supply of donuts for the coppers perhaps?

why the hell do they use Fodens and Renaults and not something more reliable

Because they’re specially built for them, high horse power, all wheel drive and the REME maintain them, probably change the oil once a week! How many times have you seen one of them broken down? :wink:

What ever it is it’s heavy. All our Missiles and Nuclear Reactors are Sent to a Rolls-Royce place in/near London for refurb i think.

all wheel drive and the REME maintain them,

They did’nt maintain this one very well, look at the Photo it appears to have a tail light out :confused:

Carrying warheads (of various types). The spare unit is in case of breakdown etc as the convoy gets rather twitchy if the have to sit still for any length of time. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

saw one today on the a1. Its a nuclear weapons convoy . Motors are usually magnums, and the convoy usually includes a fire engine. If you see men in civilian clothes it usually means that it carries liveweapons.

and the convoy usually includes a fire engine

As a token gesture no doubt.

CM:
all wheel drive and the REME maintain them,

They did’nt maintain this one very well, look at the Photo it appears to have a tail light out :confused:

True, but bulbs can and do blow on any vehicle, even LED ones pack up. :wink:

Going back a few yrs, they were based at RAF Wittering and known through the RAF as A.S.U (armerment support unit). And as said before do carry nuke!!
If anyone remembers one toppled over a good few yrs back on the A4 near Hungerford.

I did see soomething similar a few years ago when the Greenham Common protest was going on and they were cruise missile convoys if I remember right?

8wheels:

and the convoy usually includes a fire engine

As a token gesture no doubt.

Must be. I don’t think todays fire engines are capable of extinguishing a nuclear fire are they?

No but they could put out the truck before the Nuke caught fire :wink:

The nuclear material is actually fairly ‘safe’ stuff it doesn’t just blow up, it needs quite a lot to happen to get it cooking. But yes, putting a fire out quickly would be best.

On a similar note, I recall back in the 80’s when they crashed a train into a nuclear flask wagon to assess what would happen. Apart from a mangled train, there was no major damage.

On a similar note, I recall back in the 80’s when they crashed a train into a nuclear flask wagon to assess what would happen. Apart from a mangled train, there was no major damage.

I’ve seen that film. It was like a fully laden freight train and they wound the thing up to 70 odd MPH and just ploughed into the flask.

Yet Friends of the earth still insist that it’s not safe shipping flasks about :laughing:

There are some good stills here.

http://www.6lda28.com/od1a.htm

Ah the old ASU out on the road again for a practice nuke move, All trucks designed to carry nukes but very rarely done and just one big pose.
The one that rolled a few years back was driven by one “Steve Sharky” :laughing: