What's needed for new venture

I know a few local plant drivers and there appears that there might be room for another delivery firm around here.
They have 10-16 ton swing shovels and associated kit and they tell me that when they need a move, they have to book at least 7 days in advance and sometimes even have to pay for a low loader rather than a rigid.
So I was thinking about getting a 26ton beaver tail and taking up some of the slack that there appears to be but I’m not 100% what is exactly needed to run it.
I know I’ll need an O license. I know I’ll need a maintenance contract and a certain amount of money in the bank but what about a TM’s and other stuff.

This is purely a feasibility study at this stage. I know all about running my own business just not in the transport sector.
Any constructive help will be hugely appreciated.

No offence mate but just look through any of the " what do i need to become an owner driver " threads and theres hundred of replys on the subject, as i said no offence but just use the search button then if you have a specific question ask again

Do your CPC (not DCPC) and that will tell you everything you need

chaversdad:
No offence mate but just look through any of the " what do i need to become an owner driver " threads and theres hundred of replys on the subject, as i said no offence but just use the search button then if you have a specific question ask again

To be fair.
I hadn’t thought of that…
My mistake.

Should know better really. I am a moderator on other sites.

Umm.
Can’t really find much.
I’ll trawl through the posts in this forum later and see if I can find anything.

Hello,

Just google the requirements for application for a O Licence.

Or do the TM CPC.
Then you will be a fountain of knowledge.
Your better of doing the course it’s piece of ■■■■ :laughing:

J_K:
Umm.
Can’t really find much.
I’ll trawl through the posts in this forum later and see if I can find anything.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=115354

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=115344

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=114657

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112314

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=109032

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=92783

as i said, anything specific then ask away :wink:

Spot on. Thanks.

Just need to read stuff and digest it and get some kind of idea what the running costs are then try and work out if it’s a feasible proposition.

Appreciate your help.

You’ve spotted a gap in the market, that’s shrewd.

Got to agree with other posters though your OP (but what about a TM’s and other stuff) was pretty non specific. On this forum you will get best response with specific Q’s. Suggest to spend a week of evenings searching here and the web using search terms in Google such as “Owner driver start up” “New owner driver” etc. If you want Google to search only TN just type in Trucknetuk before your question.

AFAIK this stuff tends to be short miles, so no good looking at mileage rates, needs to be on a rate per job. Your fixed costs will be more relevant than fuel costs.

Fair point.
I think I was being a bit lazy and wanting too much from others. Not my usual style…

Good point about per job price as opposed to per mile rate.
Which is good and bad. Less miles covered = less maintenance and fuel costs but more of a headache to work out price to the customer.

And I don’t think this is a ■■■■ it and see kind of deal. With costs for machinery and o’license and OCPC, it’s quite a commitment to just try it for 6 months to see if it’s a goer.

As I see it its less difficult to work out rates. You will know your fixed costs … your research here will reveal what to include. You will know what the truck needs to earn per week/month on top of those to make it worthwhile. Find out how many jobs per day you are likely to average.

Weekly gross take needed / (say) 5 days / jobs per day = charge out rate.

Obviously its not quite that simple depending on mileage. Probably best to base on x amount per hr + x per mile over (say)10 miles.

I think I should set up as a freelance consultant for:

1. Investment
  2. Cars (inc. classic & executive)
  3. Driving
  4. Potential new lorry owner drivers.

The problem is you’ve been talking to the drivers and not potential customers. Drivers will always tell you they’re on 30k a year to your face then come here saying why is pay so low as the only jobs they can get are £6.50 per hour. It’s almost as if we become trained ■■■■■■■■ artists when we do our licence.
Before you go down the expensive route of licences, find out your demand and what rates are that others are charging.

Driveroneuk:
I think I should set up as a freelance consultant for:

1. Investment
  2. Cars (inc. classic & executive)
  3. Driving
  4. Potential new lorry owner drivers.

That’s good. You’ve spotted a niche in the market :wink:

You’d be surprised what people will pay for. Look at the people that pay a broker for their HGV training…

Themoocher:
Hello,

Just google the requirements for application for a O Licence.

Or do the TM CPC.
Then you will be a fountain of knowledge.
Your better of doing the course it’s piece of ■■■■ :laughing:

Piece of p*ss ! which course did you do ?

I would not describe CPC as easy personally I suggest you study before hand, concentrate on the course study at night cross your fingers and hopefully you’ll pass

I learnt the value of studying before tests on the day I received my abysmal GCSE results.
Got 98% on my HGV theory test. Revised lots.

If I go down this route then there will be lots of revision. Don;t worry.