whats going on

im sat there tonight reading my copy of this weeks c.m and low and behold on page 39 it says qoute -at a roadside check a driver who owns adigi card must produce it- even if they are driving analogue vehicle. now wheres that piece of legislation come from, ive got one but dont bother carrying it as we havent got any digi tacho motors. it seems like every week something else crops up. i bet when i get pulled by vosa they wount know anything about it as usual. i thought i was employed as a driver not a legal expert
excuse the rant but this is getting beyond a joke , do all these factory workers get all this legislation, and all for 7 pounds a hr, mad or what :imp: :imp:

Why are you surprised? You have to be able to produce the last 15 days tacho records. It could be that on some of those 15 days, you drove a vehicle with a digital tachograph so that is why they are asking for the card.

It’s not rocket science… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

because the 1st you get to know about it is in a magazine, whats the point in carrying something with you cant use as you havent had any training how to use it , yes i could just bung the card in and pray but id rather do things properly.

and by the way one of ours was stopped at bingham a few weeks ago and he wasnt asked if he had a digi card, and weve had them since april

because the 1st you get to know about it is in a magazine

It was also in the Q&A that was with the card !!!

As for training that is up to your employer, I have had training from a client and had it offered from one of the agencies I work for - still not used the card though !!

G

garreth wrote it was also in the Q and A card that came with it
was it :open_mouth: oh dear itll teach me to just chuck it in the bin. :blush:

garreth i havent bined it as usual, ive found it, but what page 6- 9 and which question o- 38 says you have to carry it with you all the time even if your not using it, not doubting you just like to see it in black and white which i cant at the moment. i take it the pamplet is digi- tacho- card, driver and company info thanks

It says here that you have to carry your card if you have one.
dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d … 504543.pdf

Funny thing is there is no mention about keeping 15 days of charts. Unless I missed it.

Wayne.

Wayne:
It says here that you have to carry your card if you have one.
dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d … 504543.pdf

Funny thing is there is no mention about keeping 15 days of charts. Unless I missed it.

Wayne.

You didn’t miss it. That pdf file in the link is out of date. Although it has been updated with the digi tacho stuff they information on the number of charts a driver needs to carry hasn’t been updated. Section 38 still says that you have to have all the charts for the current week and the chart for the last day of the previous week on which you drove.

They really should update that to reflect the new regulations which now means you have to carry all the current week’s charts and those for the 15 calendar days prior to the current week.

The regulations concerning production of records were originally contained in Article 15.7 of EEC 3821/85. At the time this was limited to the charts for the current week and the last chart from the previous we in which he/she drove.

This regulation was amended by EEC 2135/98, which required that the driver card also be produced. This legislation was effective from 24/09/2000 but was delayed until 05/08/2005 by a moratorium agreed by the Member States (of Europe), which covered the introduction of digital tachographs. The fact that you have never used the card is immaterial, if you have one you must produce it when requested to do so. Failure to produce the card could result in a prohibition until it is produced and/or a trip to see the Magistrates. At present there is a way that the VOSA can check to see if you have a drivers card as info is held about it on your driver licence record. Soon, according to the press, they’ll have a handheld that can interrogate a database called ‘Tachonet’ which will give them the info very quickly. Apparently, Tachonet will also be able to check the validity of the card you give them.

The production period for analogue charts was amended by 561/2006 which came into force on 01/05.2006. The current production period is now; the current week and the 15 calendar days prior to the current week. Obviously if you haven’t driven on a day you won’t have a chart. Reg 561 also brought in some other important items;
You must now use the crossed hammers symbol for recording other work. This includes other work for another employer, whether that work was transport related or not. So if you work in a pub on Saturday evening, you must record this under the crossed hammers. Obviously, you then cannot include this in your weekly rest period.
The square box symbol must be used for recording POA
Manual entries regarding time spent on or off duty which are not recorded automatically by the VU on the drivers card (for example waiting at an RDC for a vehicle to arrive so you can start your duty) must now be entered onto the driver card using the VU manual entry facility. The same applies for drivers using charts, although the record is to be made on the chart itself.
Where a digitally equipped vehicle is double manned, the drivers are to ensure that their cards are in the correct slots; 1 = driver, 2 = co-driver.
If a driver card is lost / stolen / damaged you may continue to drive for up to 15 days but you must take a VU printout at the start of the day and add; your full name, driver licence number (or driver card number) and sign the printout. At the end of the shift you take another VU printout and add the same details. Both these printouts must then be produced as if they were tachograph charts. Failure to take the printouts = fail to make a record, failure to retain or to produce are also offences. Maximum level of fine = £5000 in each case. You cannot use printouts if you have not applied for or are still awaiting your digital card to arrive and have to drive a digitally equipped vehicle. YOU CANNOT DRIVE UNTIL YOU HAVE THE CARD.
On 01/01/2008 the production period changes to; current day and previous 28 days, bringing analogue vehicles in line with the records held on a drivers tachograph card.