What's all this umbrella stuff?

Just curious really,what’s it all about on job adverts…I see generally if your umbrella you get a pound per hour more so I assume it’s not fully self employed as we pay more than a £1 per hour in tax and N.I plus covering holiday pay too.
So in the words of alan partridge … what’s it all aboot?

Don’t touch with a barge pole. If you do a search on here you’ll find loads on them.

Basically they charge you a fee (per payslip) of around £35. For this they do your accounts for you…how cool is that.

Ah…by “accounts” I mean “calculate your wages”. My firm do this for free, it’s called a payslip with BACS transfer direct into my bank…

Don’t go spending all that extra £1/hr, you’ll need that if you want a “paid” holiday. Oh and if you’re sick.

Cheers fella,I’m not planning to leave my current job been here 10 years,it’s steady.
Was just browsing the indeed app see if anyone needed a top driver for 50k a year mon-thurs,sadly didn’t find any such ads but kept coming across the umbrella thingy and was curious at to what they actually expect for the extra £1 per hour.

No worries…I’ve never been on one, I only know what I’ve gleaned from this forum.

The general concensus is that they’re a tax dodge scheme run by shyster agencies to rip off poor drivers for every penny they can.

Umbrella companies are often related to the agency as well. The government are cracking down on them too, I thought they would be faded out by now.

Ella Ella Ella eh eh eh?

PaulNowak:
Ella Ella Ella eh eh eh?

umbrella? Barge pole! I reckon someone’s fishing! :sunglasses:

one of them wanted £50 a month off me through an agency,told them to poke it