What would you.....

…think is a fair hourly rate!!.

Have been offered a C+E job (if i pass my C+E 9th Oct) trunk run to London.

Start at 9pm finish at 5am

Have been offered £7.50 an hour.

Do you think this is a fair rate!!

Jackg

No especially for nights but then again you’re a newbie so need the experience so it’s catch 22 situation.

No its dreadful and the company should be bloody ashamed of themselves, but i can understand you need to get a start.

The only experienced bloke they’ll get for that money is someone with umpteen points or a DD sitting on their licence.

If you accept it, use the job to learn, practice as much manouevering as you can get away with, you’re being paid by the hour so train yourself well and then when the time is right bugger off for some proper wages.

Juddian:
No its dreadful and the company should be bloody ashamed of themselves, but i can understand you need to get a start.

The only experienced bloke they’ll get for that money is someone with umpteen points or a DD sitting on their licence.

If you accept it, use the job to learn, practice as much manouevering as you can get away with, you’re being paid by the hour so train yourself well and then when the time is right bugger off for some proper wages.

Would it be better to ask for more like £8.50 per hour and see what they say, they might say yes :blush:

Lol unbelievable…

If the hours you state are correct then you’ll only get £60 a night IF you get paid through your break, a night trunk should pay a bare minimum of £100, for 8 hours and a bloody sight more for a proper nights work.

Nights on agency would pay £10 or £11 min in Northants on PAYE except for one or two ■■■ companies/contracts, employed should be similar minimum, but they probably know they have you by the cobblers being a new driver.

Have you knocked on any more doors asking for work if and when you pass your test, you’ll earn more than that tiddling round with a 4 wheeler skip lorry or builders merchant dels on days?

i passed my test in may and on £7 pun hr and £10.50 after 40 hrs is that bad im out 4 nights

jackg:

Jackg

Where are you trunking from??

If you can survive for 6 months on that money, take the job, get the experience and use them like they are using you, it’s ■■■■ money, but could be worth it for the experience.

Thats utter balls money.

The fact that theres a good chance he’s gonna smash the truck up i’d say that was a pretty good wage. It doesnt matter though because if he dosnt take it im sure theres another young lad desperate to climb the ladder and move on to better things that would rip the guvners arm off for that job.

This is where the problem lies in the industry, the rates and wages are crap but as long as there is a newbie or a desperate Dan out there willing to do it for ■■■■ all then it’s never going to get better.
I’m not blaming a new starter as I would do it to get the experience under my belt but it’s just a shame that the wages doesn’t reflect the responsibility of the job.

Saaamon:
The fact that theres a good chance he’s gonna smash the truck up i’d say that was a pretty good wage. It doesnt matter though because if he dosnt take it im sure theres another young lad desperate to climb the ladder and move on to better things that would rip the guvners arm off for that job.

I would have to disagree mate, trunking is repetitive and mind numbing work and even if you do have to reverse it will be the same reverse eeeeeeeeevery single night. Newbies are over cautious and if I were to run a few trucks I would have more confidence in them rather than a jack the lad whos been there and done it.

selby newcomer:

jackg:

Jackg

Where are you trunking from??

If you can survive for 6 months on that money, take the job, get the experience and use them like they are using you, it’s [zb] money, but could be worth it for the experience.

Trucking from Norfolk.

Juddian:

+1 get your “2 years” in, gain experience and then go elsewhere.

Cheers guys, got a meeting with company week on Monday, will thrash out pay with them.

Hopefully can get a better hourly rate(got nothing to loose).

If not got other options. Have other companys to go and see :wink:

I would also say that the rate quoted is pretty poor. That said our day and night people (on the same salary contract) get the same BASIC rate with an unsocial premium which takes it to about time & 1/3 for the hours worked in the unsocial band 19:00 to 06:00, at the moment that is just under £3 an hour on top of basis. The reason, as far as I can see, is so that the unsocial enhancement is discounted for sick and pension calculations as these are made using the basic rate.

You might want to ask if the rate quoted is it or whether there is an additional unsocial premium. I’d also suggest you confirm if breaks and POA is paid or not, if not keep those to an absolute minimum. Assuming you take the job.