What would you prefer?

Would you prefer…

A job hourly paid at neigh on £13ph contracted to 37hrs a week with the ‘option’ of doing more hour.

Or

A job paying a day rate that Inc bonus comes in at 120 a day?

FYI I’ve already made my decision, just the her indoors thinks I’m going to drop money.

NewLad:
Would you prefer…

A job hourly paid at neigh on £13ph contracted to 37hrs a week with the ‘option’ of doing more hour.

Or

FYI I’ve already made my decision, just the her indoors thinks I’m going to drop money.

13 x 37= 481 …plus say 13 hrs of OT at £18 ( time and a half I guess) = £234 .
So a total of £715 for a normal week with OT .

However 5x 120 =600 . And will they make you do 50 or more hours …I bet !
Depends on how well you get on with them and how big they are as to your decision .
It may be good on quiet months but companies do not give money away for nothing, it would work in there favour or they would not offer it.

NewLad:
Would you prefer…

Or

Personally for me its a no brainer and it would be the hourly pay. Having done a period of time working for a day rate I said never again and now will only ever work for hourly pay.

There’s 2 ways of looking at it - number 1 is assuming you were doing 5 days on your rate of £120 I bet you were north of 60 hours most weeks but for simple maths and this example lets say 60 hours then that’s £10 per hour, 37 hours at £13 is £480 but nearly half the amount of hours for only £120 less. Number 2 is lets say worst case scenario you only ever get the 37 hours then at least your on decent enough money for a really basic working week rather than killing yourself with a stupid amount of hours. Only you know your financial situation though.

Its also nice to see you’ve thought things through and made your mind up first before posting rather than a lot who ask advice about what to go for or do in certain job situations and then expect strangers on an internet forum who have never met them or know anything about their circumstances to answer which is best etc.

37 hours all day

Hourly pay certainly, for the day rate they’ll want their pound of flesh for sure.

3 wheeler:

NewLad:
Would you prefer…

Or

13 x 37= 481 …plus say 13 hrs of OT at £18 ( time and a half I guess) = £234 .
So a total of £715 for a normal week with OT .

However 5x 120 =600 . And will they make you do 50 or more hours …I bet !
Depends on how well you get on with them and how big they are as to your decision .
It may be good on quiet months but companies do not give money away for nothing, it would work in there favour or they would not offer it.

Overtime rate is based on day shift rate so not much difference so may as well work it out on basic honestly there is like 10p an hour more.

Let’s just say I’m not crazy and have taken the hourly paid job, I was doing 5 and 6 in the day rate job but I figured I’ve only got to do 47 hours to get the same money. I can afford to only do 37 1/2 hours but to be honest I’d like to do about 48 now and again.

Apparently acording to some of the people who work there you can do upto 60 a week, which is great for when you need a little bit extra like just before going abroad etc.

I’ll be happy earning a bit less with a better quality of life.

I probably have been averaging around 65hours a week doing 5/6 recently but that’s because I refuse to do a 15 unless it’s going to
a. complete a delivery/collection
or
b. get me home

Also I simply refuse to do a 10hr drive unless it’s last card as we get moaned at for not managing our wtd hrs.

Speaking to the lads at the new place they generally do 48hrs (if they want it) but occasionally bump it up. Also it’s always there if you want it because they sub it out if it’s not covered by overtime which is more expensive obviously.

Definitely hourly pay was the right decision. There’s very very few companies where you don’t end up being shafted on salary and they’re mostly companies where they don’t make their money out of haulage.

OT is ok if its there and every other driver’s not chasing it but then if you get to the magic 48hr ave what you gonna do

I’m honestly surprised that you are even asking the question Newlad. You know through bitter experience what you get with a day rate, at least with hourly pay when you are working above and beyond you are getting paid as opposed to bitter and twisted.

the maoster:
I’m honestly surprised that you are even asking the question Newlad. You know through bitter experience what you get with a day rate, at least with hourly pay when you are working above and beyond you are getting paid as opposed to bitter and twisted.

Which is why I’m grabbing it with both hands mate, it’s the Mrs that thinks I’m making a mistake. I think it’ll be the best move I’ve ever made.

I agree mate, go for it and keep us informed how it works out.

F-reds:
37 hours all day

Only 24 fit in. :smiley:

NewLad:
Would you prefer…

Or

What the holiday pay at this new job :question: 37 x £13 =£481 :question: ,that £120 less per week than your old job £120 x5 days =£600 p.w ,I can now see why you’ll want to be doing more hours in your new job too make up for what you’ll loose on holiday pay,unless they pay average etc .
As for the Mrs ,I wish too god I’d listen too mine over the years and not been so pigheaded ,2 years ago she told me what too do ,I knew better though,but she was dead right

Hourly rate everytime.

dozy:

NewLad:
Would you prefer…

Or

What the holiday pay at this new job :question: 37 x £13 =£481 :question: ,that £120 less per week than your old job £120 x5 days =£600 p.w ,I can now see why you’ll want to be doing more hours in your new job too make up for what you’ll loose on holiday pay,unless they pay average etc .
As for the Mrs ,I wish too god I’d listen too mine over the years and not been so pigheaded ,2 years ago she told me what too do ,I knew better though,but she was dead right

Dozy the holiday pay at the day rate job DOESN’T include the bonuses so comes in at £100 a day, so not much in it over a week.

Oh and the new job I get 28 days but only work 4 days a week.

Anyway, I passed the assessment today so should start within the next month.