What would you improve with modern lorries?

Slightly off topic but I think relevant too
I think that the pressure of getting to delivery locations on time, the attitude towards drivers generally and the health and safety culture prohibiting drivers resting in their cabs whilst on the bay has a huge impact on drivers concentration.

Win-Stone:
Get rid of all the electronic cr@p.

Adaptive Cruise Control… useless and half the time it doesn’t work.

Lane Departure… useless and half the time it doesn’t work.

Automatic distance thing for putting brakes on… useless, doesn’t work and downright dangerous.

etc, etc, etc…

Every single time I jump into a different lorry I seem to spend hours trying to find all this useless electronic junk, so that I can then turn it all off before I go anywhere!

:imp: :imp:

So it aint just me then.
All that type of crap is only there to counteract inept drivers with their lack of common sense and abilities.

What would I improve? The gearboxes with the addition of a lever coming out of the floor for correct gear selection every time and a 3rd peddle for…hmmmmm…let me think…I’ve got it, engaging the clutch instantly as required by the driver :bulb:
Yes I know it’s revolutionary and the modern ‘driver’ might struggle to grasp the complexities of 3 peddles and only 2 legs/feet but I think I’m onto something :laughing:

I think we need to lose the part in the cab that is the basic cause of nearly all collisions - the driver.

A bit of Room for your own camping toilet would be ok .I would not fancy using other drivers bogs in an older lorry looking at the mess in some trucks …

I would like to see more room behind the driver like the yanks have .Also more glass in the lower doors to see the moron cyclists etc .
Or some kind of camera system that allows you to see all around the outside of the truck like 360 cameras can do but on one screen on the center of the dash .Not just the near side crap we have now .

I would like to see an introduction of some kind of 4mph boost to allow faster over taking for say five minutes maximum ,(Obviously to a max 60 mph )This could be controlled through the bonus systems most firms use .Hit it to many times lose your bonus .It may stop all the walrus slow over taking moves we see daily …

Yeah get rid of the passenger seat and have a seat belt on the bunk,And a type of adults childs seat you could install or remove , in case you double man etc.You could then have the passenger door near enough all glass .
Obviously one way glass …

One thought i had was movable dash binnacle and sliding pedals so you could use the truck lhd or rhd .Especially now theres no gear stick in most cabs …
Most things are fly by wire now ,The cabs all tilt back and forth .Why not have the seat ,dash and foot peddles movable for ease of use .There’s plenty of room in a cab to do this .No more blind sides and you could switch to lhd in London or heavy cyclist towns …
As long as its not made in china of cheap crap it could work .
Maybe not .just ideas i get :laughing:

I too echo the sentiments re the electric gubbins. I’m firmly convinced that the more we insulate ourselves from the task in hand the more our attention wanders.

I’m sure that the airline industry have done studies into this very thing. Turn a driver into an automaton and he’ll behave like an automaton.

I’d have a steering wheel both sides like a sweeper…no nasty blindside reverses! Continentals can switch sides on the ferry! :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing:

yourhavingalarf:

Win-Stone:
Every single time I jump into a different lorry I seem to spend hours trying to find all this useless electronic junk, so that I can then turn it all off before I go anywhere!

I do the…

Same. Heading for the gate off goes the lane departure thingy.

But, our pious little health and stupidity freak informs us that if we’re in a collision and these devices are found to be switched off, the driver might be held accountable for negligence.

Maybe you need to show your Health and Stupidity freak the part in the handbook where it says (and I’m paraphrasing) “… please be aware that these aids are there to assist the driver: The driver is still responsible for the control of the vehicle.”
[my emphasis]

In other words, if you’re in a crash and the technolongy is turned off – you’re responsible. Alternately, if you’re in a crash and the technology is turned on – you’re responsible.

I rest my case! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve noticed quite a few new cars that have a little hazard symbol in their n/s mirror when they have something at their n/s 3/4 blind spot. A good idea and wouldn’t be too difficult to do on a truck for the next to passenger door blind spot I’d have though.

Make 'em so they can’t start out-of-yard without a driver’s card inserted! :sunglasses:

Mirrors .
When will they find a way for mirrors to not get misted up or obscured by moisture falling from the sky .
Clean them in the services , drive a couple of miles up the road in the rain and it’s back to square one , switch the heater elements and all that does is bake it on . Yes you can wipe it going along but not the passenger side .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

3 wheeler:
As an ex tramper I would improve “facilities” , basic things like toilet and shower

How about making your employer pay parking so you can park where there is a toilet and a shower?

Conor:

3 wheeler:
As an ex tramper I would improve “facilities” , basic things like toilet and shower

How about making your employer pay parking so you can park where there is a toilet and a shower?

My employer will pay. It doesn’t always mean that there will be spaces or I will have those facilities near me depending where I end up…

Win-Stone:
Get rid of all the electronic cr@p.

Adaptive Cruise Control… useless and half the time it doesn’t work.

Lane Departure… useless and half the time it doesn’t work.

Automatic distance thing for putting brakes on… useless, doesn’t work and downright dangerous.

etc, etc, etc…

:imp: :imp:

Funny how I never seem to have a problem with any of these features and use ACC at least 75% of the time

grumpyken52:
Mirrors .
When will they find a way for mirrors to not get misted up or obscured by moisture falling from the sky .
Clean them in the services , drive a couple of miles up the road in the rain and it’s back to square one , switch the heater elements and all that does is bake it on . Yes you can wipe it going along but not the passenger side .

A small wiper blade?
TurboStar from the 90s? Or a bit of rag or ribbon tied on the mirror-arm from the 80s.
:slight_smile:

grumpyken52:
Mirrors .

I’ve always wondered why none of the manufacturers have put wipers and washer jets on the mirrors, you have them on a lot of headlights and unless you’re partaking in the Dakar rally or something I think they’re pretty useless, so why are they not on the mirrors where they’d surely aid safer manoeuvring?

Franglais:

grumpyken52:
Mirrors .

A small wiper blade?
TurboStar from the 90s? Or a bit of rag or ribbon tied on the mirror-arm from the 80s.

Typical, that always happens to me, whilst I’m slowly stabbing the keyboard someone jumps in with what I was going to say :smiley:

And also, bloody hell! not seen the rag thing for a long - long time, I suppose their demise was the enclosed plastic mirror shroud as opposed to the old style metal tubular arm with the mirrors clamped to them

Reef:

Franglais:

grumpyken52:
Mirrors .

A small wiper blade?

Typical, that always happens to me, whilst I’m slowly stabbing the keyboard someone jumps in with what I was going to say :smiley:

And also, bloody hell! not seen the rag thing for a long - long time, I suppose their demise was the enclosed plastic mirror shroud as opposed to the old style metal tubular arm with the mirrors clamped to them

Those bits of rag did the job tho didntt they? Went out of fashion the same time as little plastic hands on springs. Spose I`d get money out of The Dragons if I suggested a plastic hand doing “The Tang Wave”?

Passenger seat is and should always be available for err…passengers…want to take the missus abroad…or the kids…or handy for double manning too…I would like the european specs changed, for the drivers rather than always the bosses extra bit of freight. I would also like to see an american style cabin, something on the lines of a motorhome, a shower, a toilet, cooking facilities, and a fridge, tv and definitely a high wattage inverter, a microwave, a bed that turns into a sofa…all of this could be done without too much extra length involved. The cost…well thats what hauliers would love…maybe C/M could ask hauliers if they would be prepared to pay the extra cost, to give their drivers more comfort in their tin boxes away all week !!..a few items could be born by the drivers as they do now, but in my opinion would only add a couple of hundred quid, as the manufacturers would buy them in bulk ( or the boss could ) There would be more people applying to become truckers, there would be a lot more happy drivers on the job. :smiley: the government would have to be involved as changes to the length would need approval, and there would need to be places where drivers could empty the toilet and waste water, and refill the on board water tanks…and i dont think its a lot to ask for…much better than the same size truck being built, all looking the same, with limited spaces.