What would you have done

Had a phone call from the agency I work for on Friday saying I was booked Tuesday to Friday with the company I have been at since January 2011, a while later I get a call saying tuesday looks a bit uncertain, they will call me Tuesday morning.

Phone goes at 8:15 this morning and they want me to go in to drive it Inverness for 2 drops and 1 in Aberdeen, now I ain’t been well last few days, bad man flu lol, but when I seen the weather warnings on the tv and where they wanted me to go, I thought no way am I goin there.

Just seen on sky news a siddle motor has gone over near Edinburgh

I would have been takin a fully loaded artic up but thought while I am at home, I am staying at home

Would you have gone to Scotland?? Oh I would have been going from Goole, Yorkshire

Yeah i would have but think i would have agreed an action plan with regards the weather i.e you park up for night if it gets silly

selby newcomer:
Had a phone call from the agency I work for on Friday saying I was booked Tuesday to Friday with the company I have been at since January 2011, a while later I get a call saying tuesday looks a bit uncertain, they will call me Tuesday morning.

Phone goes at 8:15 this morning and they want me to go in to drive it Inverness for 2 drops and 1 in Aberdeen, now I ain’t been well last few days, bad man flu lol, but when I seen the weather warnings on the tv and where they wanted me to go, I thought no way am I goin there.

Just seen on sky news a siddle motor has gone over near Edinburgh

I would have been takin a fully loaded artic up but thought while I am at home, I am staying at home

Would you have gone to Scotland?? Oh I would have been going from Goole, Yorkshire

Go in if it got to bad park up get paid and they will ask you again.
Not go in dont get paid and now bottom of the list for jobs not good at this time of year.
I wonder

Works work and I would have given it a go but voiced my concerns about the weather and kept in touch with them if the weather was too bad, and definately taken night away gear!!!

It saves face, makes you look good in the eyes of the agency and the company but you have warned them you ain’t going to be a hero.

due to the severe weather conditions, i would like to know if you are getting paid when the police/highways agency park you up? otherwise it won’t be worth setting off.
or you could just say, i’d love to do it, but a huge tree has gone over, so we can’t get out of the street.

I wouldnt take a truck out in that area in this weather. If i had a vehicle up there they would be stopped and parked up. To be honest, companies shouldnt even think of asking drivers to go out. No load is worth risking your life for.

It’s not my normal run, only do days and was asked on the off chance if I would do it, normal fella who done it knocked it back coz of the weather too. If I had have been feeling ok I was going to go in, but weather and how I was feeling put me off. And not having been up that way before also played apart in my decision.

There would be many Vehicles parked up in the Alps :laughing:

limeyphil:
due to the severe weather conditions, i would like to know if you are getting paid when the police/highways agency park you up? otherwise it won’t be worth setting off.
or you could just say, i’d love to do it, but a huge tree has gone over, so we can’t get out of the street.

If I got parked up I would have only been paid 8 hours, good point you made

You should of gone, you would of earned some brownie points which are invaluable this time of year.
If it got too bad you could of parked up saying you were told to stop by the police.
Also you say that its new territory for you to go up there so another good reason to go . I wouldn’t nause off an agency this time of year.

selby newcomer:

If your on medication for the man flu your probably not fit to drive anyway, and in the weather conditions today you need your wits about you. As the police in Scotland are ordering all truck off the road, and the Forth Bridge is closed, your probably not going to get too far today.
If you are fit to drive take the job on the understanding that you decide if it’s safe to drive and not the traffic office! (Do you get paid if you have to park up?)

A mixture of opinion which I see both sides off, but I think I made thi right decision. I don’t think I have naused off the agency or client, I have been there with the same company since jan11 and have only had 1 days sick in that time. If I had of gone and been parked up halfway up, I would have got 8 hours as that’s my minimum pay, so I would have been sat twiddling my thumbs for hours not getting paid, wishing I had decided to stay at home.

selby newcomer:

limeyphil:

If I got parked up I would have only been paid 8 hours, good point you made

Bet the agency gets paid right through for the hours you sit, they will sure as hell invoice the customer for the hours from start to finish.

shoulds abit like what i have been getting,there own drivers dont wont to go out in bad weather so call in the agency

I drove a tautlliner in both UK ‘hurricanes’. No problem if you drive under control and double up where possible, snow, ice, wind, all the same, the thing that worries me is fog, I was on the 40 when that pile up happened, just before it through there, and that fog was very scary.
Phil

philtvc65:
I drove a tautlliner in both UK ‘hurricanes’. No problem if you drive under control and double up where possible, snow, ice, wind, all the same, the thing that worries me is fog, I was on the 40 when that pile up happened, just before it through there, and that fog was very scary.
Phil

you obviously wernt up here this morning, the wind woke me up throwing stuff around our garden, even the last “hurricane” never did that

as for driving up here, my run right now is regular to inverness and even i wouldnt have done that, granted i can get up to inverness and back in one hit.

well, me turning down the inverness trip hasnt been held against me, am booked til the end of jan at the same firm. After reading some of the posts and looking at the pics of whats been going on up in scotland, i know i made the right choice not goin.

philtvc65:
Phil

You must be very good driver then. I was on two wheels today in a sprinter van…

Out of goole? Was it for stobarts?

orys:

philtvc65:
Phil

You must be very good driver then. I was on two wheels today in a sprinter van…

I had a changeover, from an empty 4m high artic to a hi-top long wheel base sprinter, on a windy day a few years ago. The artic was a bit white knuckle, I almost crapped myself in that sprinter. My wagon got back to our yard before me :grimacing:
He got a bit of a head start as I was finishing off my dinner and coffee (gotta get the priorities right). I thought I’d catch him no problem keeping the sprinter at near enough full chat. I kept to a bit less than full chat.