What would you have done?

Just want to clear something and get some advice. I’ve been out today getting pictures for my college work, to cut long story short. I ended up going to Allied Glass but on the way I decided to get some snaps of the canal boats and some shots of the canal itself etc, When i got my first snap, I ended up getting a shot of a van parked on the grass verge with 2 blokes lifting off chains, ropes etc and they looked over and saw me with my camera. Needless to say I carried on getting shots and as you would expect I got the ‘why have you took a picture of my van’ now I wanted to play it safe get my pictures and push off and said I was doing nothing but getting pictures of the canal and getting my work done. They openly admitted to me that they were shoving ‘a little bit of stuff’ into the canal to me along with ‘some people get a bit funny about it’ anyway I got on my way and carried on, but they soon ■■■■■■ off after I carried on taking snaps of the canal. My question is what would you have done? And what do you think I should do, as I do have a snap of them getting stuff ready to throw into the canal and I remember the first part of the van reg no. It’s not me trying to be a do gooding ■■■■■■ but I don’t know whether to just let it go and forget it ever happened. It just ■■■■■■ me off how these ■■■■■■ soon get worried when they get caught out :unamused:

And the picture was taken on a film camera so it’s not as though the picture is going to be deleted. Anyway any advice would be helpful :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Depends on a few factors -

Whether what they were doing is worth reporting
Whether they would identify and recognise you as the person who reported it
Whether there is any chance of them being done for it

The chains were throwing into the canal were big thick anchor chains and there seemed to be more than just a ‘little bit’
They would probably know it’s me who reported it but then again there were witnesses on the otherside of the canal that were witnessing it also.
The last bit I’m not really sure, which makes me question whether it would be worth it reporting it

Cheers

Let it go mate.

Believe me there are far worse things going on in this world every second of every day.

Jonny,

As someone that lives on, and uses, The Norfolk Broads, could I ask that you do report them please.

Why shove it in the canal when they could quite easily have taken it to the tip. OK, that may require a little money to change hands.

Look at things from two different angles.

1. They dump it in the slow lane of the motorway, there would be uproar and everyone on here would be calling them all the names under the sun.

2. You have a boat on the canal. Drifting nicely down the water one day your engine suddenly stops cos its got rope/linen/etc wrapped round it. The cost of prop clearance is quite alot.

About 5 years ago during the 3 Rivers Race (major race around The Broads) a big sailing cruiser suddenly came to a stop near the middle of the river. This was reported and dredging was carried out, they pulled a BMW out, traced it and the owner was in court.

Please report it to the Environment Agency. If you cant find the number, I’ll have a look for you.

Don’t go down there again or you might end up with a chain tied to your foot :stuck_out_tongue:

why didn’t they weigh it in at scrap yard■■? :open_mouth:

K5Project:
why didn’t they weigh it in at scrap yard■■? :open_mouth:

+1

don’t think they were ■■■■■■, they would just have told you to [nb] off and nicked your camera after putting the boot in!

I can only assume they were insane. With the price of scrap what it is dumping big anchor chains in a canal is mad.

I’d say report them, it’s disgusting behaviour. Think of the damage they could do to a boat.

WON’T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CANAL BOATS

+2…heavy steel is worth a fair bit at the scrapyard…if they were dumping in the cut id say it was proper fishy?

Well I have the picture on film so when I develop the film on Monday I will see then really if I can do anything if the camera has taken a decent picture.

Also they did seem a bit thick and didn’t seem to have many brain cells working also the reason the probably didnt do anything was the fact there were a lot of witnesses at the opposite side of the canal working and looking on at them both. Hopefully something can be done about it :slight_smile:

Cheers

Take a look at Filthy Rotten Scoundrels that was broadcast on BBC1 this morning:

See what damage ‘a little bit of stuff’ can do to a canal and the hard work it takes to remove it, then send your pics to the local plod. I had the hull of a fibreglass cruiser ripped apart by a dumped lawnmower a few years ago, that boat was a write off and cost £35,000 to replace and not all covered by insurance!

I know there are other boaters on here and I’m sure they will have something to say when they see this!

Shop em! :imp:

The price of scrap has dipped, so by the sounds of it, they’re ‘storing’ it in the canal 'til the price comes back up.

jonnytruckfest:
Also they did seem a bit thick and didn’t seem to have many brain cells working also the reason the probably didnt do anything was the fact there were a lot of witnesses at the opposite side of the canal working and looking on at them both. Hopefully something can be done about it :slight_smile:

Cheers

If there was people working on the canal they will probably be waterways engineers, and if they saw them doing something dodgy they will have already reported it. I would get the film developed and if they or the van can be identified I would report it to British Waterways and let them deal with the old bill. As others have said stuff chucked in the cut causes a lot of damage and costs British Waterways a fortune in clean up bills

I would not hesitate in grassing them up. :sunglasses:

infact shop them then go back fish out the chain sell it to scrap dealer then have a night out on lash on them :smiley:

Goldfinger:
Shop em! :imp:

The price of scrap has dipped, so by the sounds of it, they’re ‘storing’ it in the canal 'til the price comes back up.

In that case then, go back down there and fish it out yourself and store it :wink: Make yourself a bit of money

■■■■ all. :imp:

shop the dirty scum only an idiot dumps heavy scrap seeing as its about 180 quid a ton to weigh in at scrap merchants and dumping in broad daylight is a sign off no brains at all so they wont remember you jonny :laughing: :laughing:

Could they have been Somali Pirates trying to scupper the plans of bargees?