What would you have done if it came to it?

Decided to go to Bridlington yesterday with the girlfriend seeing as though it was nice and went from our house in Barnsley upto York on the A64 and then across the A166. The first time I have used this road and was travelling along nicely until we got to that really steep hill just after Full Sutton a couple of artics where really towing getting up and one come to a stop and broke down. We got past them and I could see this van about 3 cars back trying to force the issue all the time up peoples arse ends trying to overtake even though there was a fair bit of traffic. I came up to a tipper on a straight bit of road and had a look if it was ok to pass which it was and pulled out, this van had overtook the 3 cars and was up my arse now overtaking this tipper we pulled in behind 2 cars and a van on a stretch of road that was a bit bendy and had double white lines on. This van then starts to overtake us all even going up an hill with no idea if anything is coming over the summit,he pulled in front just before a grain truck was coming the other way. Now if this ■■■■■■ would’ve ended up going off road into a ditch to avoid a collision I can safely say I would have continued on my merry way and not stopped to help,unless another vehicle was involved but then I would’ve only helped the innocent party and not the prick with a death wish. Thankfully it didn’t come to that but does that make me a bad person for thinking like this? I would never help a driver who drives like a prick if they crash as they could involve innocent people. What would you do■■?

No, because you were part of the situation and by stopping you leave yourself open to his probable false allegations against you, not worth the hassle, leave the walley in the ditch.
And thats why im not a doctor as well, how can they treat and take care of someone knowing that they have just stabbed, shot, or murdered someone innocent… we shouldnt judge because who are we to decide what human life is or isnt worth saving but it must be hard for them not to.

If you witness an accident you are obliged to stop if it is safe to do so. If not, report to police asap and in any case within 24 hours.

At an accident the best things to do are:

1. Dial 999
  2. stop the traffic or at least divert/warn it as best you can to prevent further pile-ups
  3. stop any engines that are still running
  4. If you can, extinguish any fires
  5. Do what you can to help injured parties…a screaming person is normally not the first person to help…the quiet person who is going blue is.

Do 2 - 5 without putting yourself in unnecessary peril.

Consider this truckingtopics.co.uk/driverfirstassis.html

if you are interested.

I’m afraid, like you, I wouldn’t be too keen to put myself out to assist an obviously reckless driver, particularly if others required my help.

I would, however, stop and inform the police, give them my best recollection of what happened.

I posted a youTube on here a few moths ago showing two Sikh lads who witnessed a hit&run where a woman skittled an old man and cleared off. They dealt with the situation really well: stopped their car, one got out and helped the casualty, the other guy followed the woman safely until she stopped, blocked her car in, told her that he’s seen what happened and called the police.

Can’t find the clip now, but it was text-book stuff. Hope I’d be cool enough to do the same in the same situation

Just like the doctors and nurses who had to help them 2 pieces of scum who killed Lee Rigby. I couldn’t do it and if I was in their shoes I’d have got the sack as i have not got the sought of mindset needed to do that job.

Of course I would stop and if your totally honest and not devoid of all feeling and compassion I wager so would you :unamused:

The hill is called garrowby hill fella

stevieboy308:
The hill is called garrowby hill fella

It’s a steep ■■■■■■! :smiley: don’t know why they don’t put an overtaking lane on it myself.

GasGas:
I
5) Do what you can to help injured parties…a screaming person is normally not the first person to help…the quiet person who is going blue is.
/quote]

1. “Punch the van driver in the face & add to his injuries, then congratulate him on his Exceptional Driving Skills.”

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
What would you do■■?

My neck of the woods.

Leave them to it and make sure you’re safe. Plenty of the morons seem to crash on the roads around here during the summer.

This van then starts to overtake us all even going up an hill with no idea if anything is coming over the summit

There are a few places on the A166 and A614 where if you know the road you can look up ahead and see if there’s anything coming knowing you’ll have plenty of time to overtake even though its a bend.

Sadly though I can understand the van drivers frustration. Every day during summer we have to cope with halfwit holiday makers driving with their heads up their arse pottering along at 40MPH taking in the view regardless of the queue behind them like everyone else on the same road has nowhere to be.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Just like the doctors and nurses who had to help them 2 pieces of scum who killed Lee Rigby. I couldn’t do it and if I was in their shoes I’d have got the sack as i have not got the sought of mindset needed to do that job.

+1

:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

+1

Better to let them live and suffer the consequences. After all, isn’t dying what these extreme Islamists want? Let em get bummed in jail.

Tarrman:

:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

+1

Better to let them live and suffer the consequences. After all, isn’t dying what these extreme Islamists want? Let em get bummed in jail.

Trouble is mate they’ll be put on a wing with fellow Muslims and not general population wing.

GasGas:
If you witness an accident you are obliged to stop if it is safe to do so. If not, report to police asap and in any case within 24 hours.

At an accident the best things to do are:

1. Dial 999
  2. stop the traffic or at least divert/warn it as best you can to prevent further pile-ups
  3. stop any engines that are still running
  4. If you can, extinguish any fires
  5. Do what you can to help injured parties…a screaming person is normally not the first person to help…the quiet person who is going blue is.

Do 2 - 5 without putting yourself in unnecessary peril.

Consider this truckingtopics.co.uk/driverfirstassis.html

if you are interested.

I’m afraid, like you, I wouldn’t be too keen to put myself out to assist an obviously reckless driver, particularly if others required my help.

I would, however, stop and inform the police, give them my best recollection of what happened.

I posted a youTube on here a few moths ago showing two Sikh lads who witnessed a hit&run where a woman skittled an old man and cleared off. They dealt with the situation really well: stopped their car, one got out and helped the casualty, the other guy followed the woman safely until she stopped, blocked her car in, told her that he’s seen what happened and called the police.

Can’t find the clip now, but it was text-book stuff. Hope I’d be cool enough to do the same in the same situation

First I’ve heard of that one, is that legally obliged?

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

That’s why they take the Hippocratic Oath.

Stop and tell van man you will witness for him, then when asked tell the truth about him ,he won’t expect that coming.

Derf:
That’s why they take the Hippocratic Oath.

Had to look that up, so for others…

Hippocratic Oath = en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocratic_Oath

Are you legally obliged to stop at the scene of an accident though if you’re not involved directly in it or just if you are directly involved in it?

Obviously it’s open to interpretation but what would the cps say?

I live at the bottom of the hill, Garrowby Hill, there is an accident at least once a week on the hill itself, and numerous accidents on the A166 itself… its even worse on a weekend or bank holiday when the bikers come out with there death wish,got to a point where we try and avoid the garrowby hill, the cafe at fridaythorpe is a hot spot for bikers and there is an unnofficial race track on the local roads,

about 4 years ago, my mate who runs out of a farm at top of garrowby had to chain a trailer to stop it going over when an artic driver on a grain bulker came into problems getting up the hill and then decided to try a U turn on the widest bit… would,t fancy that lot rolling down the hill…

Personally i would and have done once before when someone overtook me on a blind bend and then crashed straight infront of me, dont think i could live with myself if i later found out they died and i could of done something about it…

Being from Liverpool I would have dipped his pockets then had his wheels away :grimacing: