what would you do

right, my son, whos 19 and hardworking, works for an agency and last Monday got sent to a firm in northampton to drive their van, (bearing in mind this was his first time) he started at 10.00am and finished at 20.00pm,first 2 drops in Northampton,then Wellingborough waited for 1/2 hour as the customer didn’t know anything about it, then Bedford over to Leighton buzzard for a pick up and waited for an hour only for them to tell him that it already got picked up,then he went to luton to a delivery and then Watford, due to traffic, unloading by (hand small boxes) and waiting time he got back to northampton at 20.00pm but his last drop was in harrow which he was told not to do as it was getting on, well now it gets worse he got paid today a grand total of £32.50 so he calls up the agency and gets told the client only paid him until 15.00pm (5 hrs) as he was too slow and they wasn’t satisfied with with his work, so he never got paid from 15.00 to 20.00, any ideas what he could do thanks

It would be worth checking the terms and conditions of his contract as normally the agency pays the driver whatever the client pays them.

I worked for a company in the past. A 3 day run up to Scotland, deliveries and back in a rigid LGV. Work went satisfactorily, but the agency didn’t get paid as the client ‘forgot’ and ‘delayed’.

I still got paid though.

£32 is a very bad wage for the day, even with the delays on the road. He should complain, and complain hard, and if that doesn’t do it then consider changing agencies. 10 hour shift isn’t even that long. Ok, for a newbie just starting yes it can be but it just sounds like the agency and employer are trying it on…

Book an appointment with the free advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau.
They have experts who will start the ball rolling.
A call from them to the agency will shake them up to pay what is due.
He has done the work well so they have to pay.
Legal action via small claims court or employment tribunal.
Do not let them get away with it.
The agency got paid.Do not accept fob off excuses.
Parasites and scum of the earth.
Bet the boss has flash cars,a big house and five luxury holidays a yesr.

Speak to the citizens advice bureau, he should be paid for the work he has done. It’s not his fault that the customers kept him waiting, perhaps he could of phoned in though to keep them updated as to his progress but then they should have told him that before he left.

hello,he kept them informed throughout, as I told him to do so as to cover his back.

His agency have broken the law. They’ve employed him they need to pay him. Regardless of what they got for the job. Get all the facts together (and payslip, write a letter stating that they owe you (him) money why, how much, the facts and that you must be paid before xyz (there is a standard time) or you will take further action. Doesn’t need to be nasty just stating the facts. They’re just trying to screw him because he’s new.

Personally. I would give him 25 quid myself :imp: . Poor bugger.

JLS Driver SOS:
Personally. I would give him 25 quid myself :imp: . Poor bugger.

As his dad he’s probably given him plenty of of cash over the years. As for the agency, well they are just extracting the urine. He worked for the agency not the company, it’s upto them to pay him. if they aren’t forthcoming with cash I’d be going to an employment solicitor.

It really is tough for younger workers and totally unfair of employers at the moment . Agencies are taking the mick and its the same everywhere , you need the work and they know it. Naming & Shaming both companies ( So we know who to avoid ) involved may make you feel better or take legal action , lots of time and effort and no doubt stressful for what will amount to a small amount of money owed.
I think he may be better off taking it on the chin and looking for work elsewhere , my son has been in the same situation with agencies and ■■■■■■■■■■■■ schemes offering very little in return ( £120 for 40 hours !!!) and then being finished with no notice.
Keep on looking good employers are out there , its just finding them . Good luck .

Never take it on the chin, he’s done the hours now he wants paying for those hours.

CAB and small claims court will help, but to be honest, as a rule if you speak to the agency and explain that you’ve done 10hrs and want paying for those 10hrs or you’ll get in touch with the fore-mentioned - which will cost them costs too - they’ll usually pay you no probs.

Yes please, once this shoddy affair is over to your satisfaction please name the companies involved, i’m fairly local and will take the greatest pleasure in letting the many in the industry i know who to avoid doing business with, and who workers should avoid.

I would gather all relevent documents, note all names involved, who said what and when, and issue proceedings in the small claims court…probably not cost effective for the amount involved but that isn’t the point, i don’t suppose this is the first time they’ve robbed a young fellow, and they need exposing.

It’s theft as far as i’m concerned from a young man, because he’s green and they can, no better than a gang of street thugs mugging him for his wallet.

The sooner companies like this go to the wall and those involved are thrown begging on the street the better.

PS, my Mrs has got the hump big time about this…a woman not to be trifled with as those who know her would testify…she and i reckon the lad did OK, funny how they didn’t ring him at 1500 and tell him he was off the clock come back and go home, no they let the poor little bugger carry on…actually my Mrs missed her vocation she should have been a shop steward…like a tiger protecting her cubs she is.

Juddian:
Yes please, once this shoddy affair is over to your satisfaction please name the companies involved, i’m fairly local and will take the greatest pleasure in letting the many in the industry i know who to avoid doing business with, and who workers should avoid.

I would gather all relevent documents, note all names involved, who said what and when, and issue proceedings in the small claims court…probably not cost effective for the amount involved but that isn’t the point, i don’t suppose this is the first time they’ve robbed a young fellow, and they need exposing.

It’s theft as far as i’m concerned from a young man, because he’s green and they can, no better than a gang of street thugs mugging him for his wallet.

The sooner companies like this go to the wall and those involved are thrown begging on the street the better.

PS, my Mrs has got the hump big time about this…a woman not to be trifled with as those who know her would testify…she and i reckon the lad did OK, funny how they didn’t ring him at 1500 and tell him he was off the clock come back and go home, no they let the poor little bugger carry on…actually my Mrs missed her vocation she should have been a shop steward…like a tiger protecting her cubs she is.

+2 my lad read this and said what a ■■■■ take .
Get it sorted and name and shame

Why not go back for another trip ,go down the road ■■■■ the fuel out and call them say its broken down and you’ve gone home,keys are on the back wheel.not something I’d normaly do but if you can’t beat them ,join em

So by only paying him for 5 hours the firm appears to have expected the lad to do all that in those 5 hours? Even if he knew all those drops and drove like a ■■■■ I don’t think he would be able to complete that run in that time.
The firm and the agency are taking the ■■■■.

How much did they say they would pay him before he started?

Invoice the agency for the payment arrears, if they don’t send the invoice back to your son (highly likely they won’t as it’ll be “nobodys” job), once the 7 days (you set the payment terms) has passed without pay you then take a winding up order out on them!

Disclaimer; I may be talking bollox but MMTM he once did similar.

I assume everything he’s signed with the agency says he’s paid an hourly rate and mention nothing about a performance clause?
Therefore he is entitled to be paid for the hours he’s worked, regardless of how he performed. If the company that used him don’t like that they can tell his agency not to send him back.
By the sounds of it both Agency and Company are a bunch of [zb]'s but his claim is with the agency, is the agency have been short changed by the company then its upto the. To get the money back.

If you’re in a union like URTU I think they have a legal advice department which will also give you advice for family members.

This stuff really makes me mad, very mad, very very mad. :imp:

Dan Punchard:
Why not go back for another trip ,go down the road ■■■■ the fuel out and call them say its broken down and you’ve gone home,keys are on the back wheel.not something I’d normaly do but if you can’t beat them ,join em

And dent every panel, total crap on the agencies behalve

If this is true, please name and shame (PM me if you like) as I am from the Northampton area and know loads of guys and girls on agency atm, this is wrong…