what would you do?

I thought I had discussed this before - CLICKY :smiley:

i think that an emergency vehicle can not go though the red light anyway and if there do there do so at there own risk, there was i police training show on tv a few years back based at Henley and one of the officers training the new police car drivers said that you can not break the red light rule but if you do you do it in a way not to put other road users in jeopardy, forcing a vehicle to pull out on a red light would just do that would it not

delboytwo:
i think that an emergency vehicle can not go though the red light anyway and if there do there do so at there own risk, there was i police training show on tv a few years back based at Henley and one of the officers training the new police car drivers said that you can not break the red light rule but if you do you do it in a way not to put other road users in jeopardy, forcing a vehicle to pull out on a red light would just do that would it not

While using blue lights, drivers are exempt from a number of motoring regulations, including

• treating a red traffic light as a give way sign
  • passing to the wrong side of a keep left bollard
  • driving on a motorway hard shoulder (even against the direction of traffic)
  • disobeying the speed limit (police, fire and ambulance services only)

However, they are not allowed to

• ignore a ‘no entry’ sign
  • ignore a ‘stop’ or ‘give way’ sign
  • drive the wrong way down a one-way street
  • ignore flashing signs at level crossings or fire stations
  • cross a solid white line down the middle of the road*

*except in the same circumstances as everyone else (for instance to pass a stationary vehicle, slow moving cyclist or horse, or a road maintenance vehicle). This can cause problems for emergency drivers when other road users slow to let them pass where road markings indicate no overtaking.

There was a case of a father following his wife,who was giving birth in the ambulance he was following on the way to the hospital,he got done for passing the red light,the camera showed just the car going through and not the ambulance that had gone before him.

Kenny1975:

delboytwo:

While using blue lights, drivers are exempt from a number of motoring regulations, including

• treating a red traffic light as a give way sign
  • passing to the wrong side of a keep left bollard
  • driving on a motorway hard shoulder (even against the direction of traffic)
  • disobeying the speed limit (police, fire and ambulance services only)

However, they are not allowed to

• ignore a ‘no entry’ sign
  • ignore a ‘stop’ or ‘give way’ sign
  • drive the wrong way down a one-way street
  • ignore flashing signs at level crossings or fire stations
  • cross a solid white line down the middle of the road*

*except in the same circumstances as everyone else (for instance to pass a stationary vehicle, slow moving cyclist or horse, or a road maintenance vehicle). This can cause problems for emergency drivers when other road users slow to let them pass where road markings indicate no overtaking.

But how can he treat the red as give way if he’s got two artics and a row of cars behind it sitting there in front of him? and if he go’s for the other other side of the lights instead what happens when the woman doing the school run with her 4x4 Range Rover does a left from the right in front him? because we all know how long it’s going to take her and all the other mums following her to reverse back into the road they came from assuming it’s not too late and he collects her head on or turns the fire engine on it’s side while trying to miss her.

Carryfast:
But how can he treat the red as give way if he’s got two artics and a row of cars behind it sitting there in front of him? and if he go’s for the other other side of the lights instead what happens when the woman doing the school run with her 4x4 Range Rover does a left from the right in front him? because we all know how long it’s going to take her and all the other mums following her to reverse back into the road they came from assuming it’s not too late and he collects her head on or turns the fire engine on it’s side while trying to miss her.

Now you know why police traffic drivers are trained to such a high standard - it’s so they have the option of doing such but before doing so thay have not only considered what you mention but much more besides
Another reason that all the other blue light drivers, apart from police traffic, should not do it in most circumstances.

Why do you think that the civilian advanced driving organisations only have police traffic drivers as examiners - the driving does not get any higher than police traffic and at that level they can only test each other to keep up standards - boy, do they ‘nit-pick’ each others driving when they do!!

The DSA do not like advanced driving as a lot of it goes way above their standard and follows a different ethos as well as a different system of driving - Roadcraft

NOTE: -
Most LGV drivers are closer to the Roadcraft system than the DSA system

ROG:

Carryfast:

Now you know why police traffic drivers are trained to such a high standard - it’s so they have the option of doing such but before doing so thay have not only considered what you mention but much more besides
Another reason that all the other blue light drivers, apart from police traffic, should not do it in most circumstances.

Why do you think that the civilian advanced driving organisations only have police traffic drivers as examiners - the driving does not get any higher than police traffic and at that level they can only test each other to keep up standards - boy, do they ‘nit-pick’ each others driving when they do!!

The DSA do not like advanced driving as a lot of it goes way above their standard and follows a different ethos as well as a different system of driving - Roadcraft

NOTE: -
Most LGV drivers are closer to the Roadcraft system than the DSA system

Is that why the Police have got the highest rate of accidents of any road users?.A copper maybe (reasonably) safe behind the wheel of a quick car but give him a six wheeler Volvo with a tower on it or a loaded fire engine of the old school which could do more than 90mph and then see how he gets on.I’ve seen a lot more news of coppers who’ve driven their quick cars off the road than fire crews and it’s often fire which gets there first.

Traffic police maybe trainned to a high standard, but maybe different now but normal plod not at all, just get behind the wheel and put the blues and twos on.

The post i made above was quoted from a web site.

I agree the accident rate for police is pretty scary, one of my mates is an ambulance driver and it annoyed him, he had to do i think it was six months driving training to get a blue light licence. Any accident even if your sitting parked and someone prangs your ambulance your licence is revoked until there has been an investigation. Compared to the police at the time where it seemed to be a case that they werent trained, was a right given to you as a copper to use the blue lights rather than any formal training. This was years ago maybe changed.

Also different ethos as well for ambulance drivers, it was getting their quickly but safely got someone in the back so can’t go that fast or fling them around.

But i have seen some of the cases, where people have been killed by police using blue lights and at times your right Carryfast the use of blue lights and the “dangerous” driving to attend the scene of a crime you gotta think is it worth it. Like that girl killed in Newcastle traffic policeman doing 90mph in a 30mph because his ANPR had flashed a car with no insurance, which later turned out to have insurance. Wasn’t really worth doing 90mph in a 30mph limit.

Kenny1975:
Compared to the police at the time where it seemed to be a case that they werent trained, was a right given to you as a copper to use the blue lights rather than any formal training. This was years ago maybe changed.

Yes they have changed.
Plod to drive without B&Ts - standard DSA style assessment
Plod to drive with B&Ts to go to an incident have advanced driver training including use of B&Ts - not supposed to PURSUIT
Plod in traffic - specially trained in much higher advanced standads including TPAC and PURSUIT

Medium to high ranking officer based in HQ makes decisions on whether to continue with PURSUITS

move out of the way as safe as you can, sound your horn. there will be hand signals from other drivers, as they will think you are being the big bully trucker, they will then become red faced, when they realise you have done the right thing.
well most of you lot must think that the law won’t protect you in this sort of circumstance.
Well it will. The law is about public interest, as well as the letter of the law.

if it really came to it (but it won’t) then go to court, and emerge the hero.
magistrates, judges, and jury’s are all human beings.

if my child was put in harms way due to a delayed ambulance, all because some [zb] was worried about getting in a bit of trouble, i would hunt the [zb] down and chop his nuts off and make him eat them.

how shallow, narrow minded, and selfish can some of you be?

So how smug would you feel sitting there at the lights with an ambulance behind unable to get through. Then later finding out it was your child or loved one in the ambulance.
I’m dissapionted in you lot,not that you would care.
I have within the last week driven through a red light to get out of the way of an ambulance and will do so again if i think it is safe.
Everthing you do as a professional driver should be thought through and done safely as every siituation is different and shold be assesed as such. your action should not be decided while sitting at a computer when your not even driving.
ÂŁ30 fine if I ever get one, which I doubt, I can aford

knight:
So how smug would you feel sitting there at the lights with an ambulance behind unable to get through. Then later finding out it was your child or loved one in the ambulance.
I’m dissapionted in you lot,not that you would care.
I have within the last week driven through a red light to get out of the way of an ambulance and will do so again if i think it is safe.
Everthing you do as a professional driver should be thought through and done safely as every siituation is different and shold be assesed as such. your action should not be decided while sitting at a computer when your not even driving.

erm, didn’t you read my post?

can you change it to (SOME of you lot)

cheers. :wink:

knight:

direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr … /DG_069870
Traffic light offences
MAX fine = ÂŁ1,000
Penalty point = 3

Sorry it should have said “some of you”
Phil
If you look at the times i was writing mine when you posted yours. When I went to post it yours came up, but i posted it anyway. :unamused: :laughing:
No reason why we shouldn’t have the same opinion.
Rog somebody else was moaning about paying a £30 fine. The point i was making badly was that it wouldn’t be a deterrent.

knight:
Rog somebody else was moaning about paying a £30 fine. The point i was making badly was that it wouldn’t be a deterrent.

I see your point especially as it’s the same as mine :slight_smile:

surely you wouldn’t just drive off through the red light! you’d assess the situation and move out of the way in an appropriate fashion, be it over to one side or forwards enough to clear a path. i have done it in the past and will do it again but i will do my utmost not to put anyone at risk, especially me!

limeyphil:
move out of the way as safe as you can, sound your horn. there will be hand signals from other drivers, as they will think you are being the big bully trucker, they will then become red faced, when they realise you have done the right thing.
well most of you lot must think that the law won’t protect you in this sort of circumstance.
Well it will. The law is about public interest, as well as the letter of the law.

if it really came to it (but it won’t) then go to court, and emerge the hero.
magistrates, judges, and jury’s are all human beings.

if my child was put in harms way due to a delayed ambulance, all because some [zb] was worried about getting in a bit of trouble, i would hunt the [zb] down and chop his nuts off and make him eat them.

how shallow, narrow minded, and selfish can some of you be?

I reckon if that’s all you’d do to someone who did’nt have the bottle to face the music for getting out of the way of that ambulance or fire engine if needed then they’d have got off lightly.But what about the coppers and the prosecuting lawyers who’ve charged those drivers of those emergency vehicles and cars which went over lights etc who’ve been done for trying to get the job done and have made people jittery about getting into a bit of trouble as we’ve seen here.

it dosn’t happen in my area, we have good, decent people as magistrates. who know about values.
i don’t live in a city. they live by something city folk don’t acknoledge. and so do i.
our magistrates are decent people, however the good police are in the pub pensioned off.
they drink with me.
the funny thing is though, they have all nicked me, but they all drink with me. :laughing:

Thing is do the police and that actually do people for this.

We live in a 24 hour news society these days unfortunatly there at times isnt enough news to cover it so stories get sensationalised.

How many times you read about the 18ton artic doing 90mph along the motorway overtaking someone and the driver is on the phone. Or just complete nonsense like that, yet when its about something else non truck related we jump on the bandwagon.

Stories like “OAP arrested by the police for dropping liter”. Our minds quickly think of a nice white haired 85 year old grandfather type droping a sweety wrapper by accident but in reality if they went into the full details its a 66 year old chavvy grandad, who walking along the street chucks a large chip wrapper on the ground ignoring a bin beside him, when the police appear tell him not to do that he tells them to F off and gets aggressive so they nick him.

LIke that stripper who was dressed up as a policeman arrested for impersonating a police officer, everyone thinks again over the top. Then the actual details emerge the guy has been driving down main roads in his stripper uniform pretending to be the police pulling over motorists, stoping young girls in the street.

The papers don’t like to post the full details because it makes a boring story, rather hype it up make a mountain out of a molehill because they can get away with it because the police usually won’t comment on cases like above.

Maybe i have to much faith, but in general i think moving out the way if it involved crossing the white line to let an emergency vehicle through the ticket would be cancelled in most circumstances. Unless the driver blatently used it as an excuse to jump the red light.

I think for the first ever time I can agree 100% with something Limeyphil has posted