What would you do!? Part One

Ok, going to try and get some thoughts on this!!!

I have held my Class one licence for years but only just recently started using it doing weekend work, so I guess you could call me a newbie as only done around 6 weekends!!

I had a drop at a Tesco DC near London at the weekend, spoke to my “mentor” prior to getting to the site and he said “your reversing skills will be put to the test in there!!” So I thought, ok probably going to be a little awkward but surely it shouldn’t be that tight being a DC!!? So anyway get to the site, get my bay number through the intercom, proceed through the gate, straight away I thought, hell this is tight!!

Locate my bay, there is a truck on the bay next door and on the other side faced with big bollards which you wouldn’t want to disagree with, and opposite the bays a host of trailers, some of which have units coupled up!! So straight away I think s**t this is tight.

So anyway, I have 2 or 3 attempts at getting in but no joy as really didn’t want to take out half the truck on the bay next door. So I park up along the bays, get out the cab, walk down to the waiting room and politely say "excuse me gents but who is the *******'s truck!■■ An experienced looking driver sat in the corner looks up and says bay 0!■■? I said “yes that is correct, is there any chance you could come out and watch me onto the bay as I really don’t want to take out half your truck!!”

At this point, I think I must have suddenly grown about 8 heads as the majority of the other drivers just looked at me like I had just asked the most stupid question in the world!!

The driver puts his paper and that away and says “well bugger me, somebody with some common sense! Come on young un!!?” So we walk down to the bay and he states, hhmmm that is tight, so anyway he tells me where to go and we get the truck lined up ready to get on the bay!! it takes us about 15-20mins to get it on the bay as he kept stopping me at certain points and giving me pointers and tips. In the end we get it on the bay, no damage caused and everything in tact!

I guess the question of “What would you do!?” is related to What would you have done if someone in my shoes came in to a waiting area and posed the same question!■■ It seems that there are too many drivers out there that only care about themselves and the days of helping each other out are fading fast. I know I am a “newbie” in terms of driving, but I, like many others, have been around trucks for years as used to spend time in the truck with my old man and remember when we used to park up and would always be chatting to other drivers, trading stories and such like!!

Thoughts please!!?

Been driving atrics nearly 12yrs now but I’d have done exactly the same as you if I wasn’t sure. Better safe than sorry.
If someone came in and asked me for assistance, I’d also go out and help as best I could.

If in doubt ASK FROR HELP - every time

Better that and perhaps have a bit of embarrassment rather than hit something and be really embarrassed and looking VERY stupid

Tesco Hatfield ? Good experience for reversing in there. If l’m not sure when reversing l stop get out and have a look or get someone to watch the side l can’t see, and l’ve been driving hgv for 28 years.

I don’t consider that I have been driving myself that long. First year and a bit was absolutely horrendous, nearly jacked it in a couple of times. The only thing that helped was the help I got from other drivers. I will always now pay that debt forward and help anyone who is struggling.

Wouldie:
Tesco Hatfield ? Good experience for reversing in there. If l’m not sure when reversing l stop get out and have a look or get someone to watch the side l can’t see, and l’ve been driving hgv for 28 years.

10 points to that man!! Yes that would be correct!!

Never be frightened/ashamed/embarrassed to ask anything regarding getting help or advice no matter how silly it may seem when it comes to driving/reversing/the law or were anywhere is or what to do. You can never say you know it all in this job because the minute you think you do it will bite you on the harris.

My experience was in 32yrs driving you could go to places with tight accesses,one day get straight in and other days make a pigs ear of it and take 20mins.I also remembered we all had to learn and gave help when possible.
regards dave.

I was always told that you shouldn’t worry about getting it ‘on in one’ - just make sure you get it on in one piece. If you take 20 shunts and you’re not happy take 30 - You’re the one in charge and a few seconds getting out and having a look are far better than hours and days filling in accident report forms and being interviewed etc…

I have just had the dubious pleasure of a visit to the Tesco Hatfield distribution centre! The voice on the intercom at the gate said put it on bay 6… err cheers mate, one truck and trailer already on bay 7 and on the other side between bays 5 and 6 an upright steel stanchion guarded by 2 somewhat bent and scuffed posts, opposite the docking bays are a line of parked trailers leaving only limited space in which to manoeuvre into position. I had a couple of goes first time I got too close to the line of trailers opposite and ran out of room, second time I didn’t get enough of an angle to get inside the two guard posts (which I was totally blind to), eventually with the help of another two drivers I did get it safely on the bay but even with the extra help it still took a good few shunts.

I took the photo after being tipped by which time the parked truck\trailer had left, the two guard posts have reflective material around the top, it is not that illuminated it just lit up really well with the flash.

A massive thanks to the Stobart driver who took the time and trouble to help me!!!

Wots ‘part 2’ ■■?

boredwivdrivin:
Wots ‘part 2’ ■■?

He got the stihl saw out and chopped them fekkin posts down due to a health & safety issue within the yard,
would you wear just goggles or a full mask ■■ :grimacing:

When I started out I never used to ask for help and consequently hit everything under the sun, so you certainly did the right thing

As for part 1,
you did the right thing - ask for assistance of a banksperson/s to watch -guide you in your manoevere/s ,
it doesnt hurt to ask politely :wink: going in guns blazing will just rack folks off and they go into denial like scalded cats.

I’ve stopped on roads to watch people in and in the home town there used to be a really badly signed road which wasn’t ultimately suitable for a truck, have often stopped and gone out of my way to show them the way out of it.

I work on the theory tht you never know when you might need help yourself.

my first drop after passing my test was a 90’ blind side reverse in a tight as ■■■■ yard. luckily I had the same common sense and a driver sat…well hung actually off my mirror arm and helped me.

needless to say sweating like a fat guy in a sweet shop 35 mins later I got it on.

the traffic clerks reply when I moaned - tomorrow will be easier!

it was :smiley:

Few people remember 25 shunts - everyone remembers an accident.

Few people remember 25 shunts - everyone remembers an accident.

‘Give that man a banana’, as they used to say. Absolutely the right thing to do on all levels. On many companies it would have ended up costing the driver the insurance excess at least. I have never been to Hatfield, but I would guess that pulling off the bay is none too clever either. It always worried me pulling out from between two parked artics in the waiting area at Snodland, just where the tailswing was going, IIRC you couldn’t get out at all if there was an artic parked in any of the bays opposite you. You only have to look at the damage on the sides of supermarket trailers to realise that something just isn’t quite right about the planning when they decide how much room is needed to enter and exit bays and parking spaces. Even if they get it right some muppet manager will decide that for ‘operational reasons’ he is going to park trailers, units, skips, containers or some other rubbish in the way.

You did absolutely the right thing and well done the driver who helped you out. Everyone has to learn, all that happens as you gain experience is you take less shunts, getting on without dinking anything is the only thing that matters.

We were discussing reversing onto bays a couple of days ago and even drivers I’ve watched back onto tight bays with jealous admiration have off days.

What I’d like to know is how come when I managed to put a trailer onto the ‘secure’ bay at Harper Colins last Friday without needing a single shunt there was no-one about to applaud my god like abilities :unamused: :laughing: but when I make a prat of things there’s always a bloody crowd :blush: