What would you charge yourself out at?

Evening everyone, getting laid off on Nov 7th and am thinking about going self employed ( nothing to do with haulage, been offered work with a customer ) Anyway, was thinking about some holiday/sickness cover etc to keep my hand in and was wondering what would be an acceptable hourly rate to charge. Any advice gratefuly accepted, cheers

What is it doing and what rate is normally offered for that type of work where you live? I would say use that as your bench reference and then add as much as you think you can get away with.

Good idea self employed agency man I thought about this before but didnt know how to approach it to be honest.

Im not sure what agencies charge but when I done a stint in the office they charged £15 per hour and the drivers got £8 so maybe in between that I dont know?.

■■■■■■■ loaf of bread and a tin of spam daily rate from what i can make out :laughing: supply and demand

I was once self employed, for highly skilled stuff, like IT, plumbing (lol) etc charge from 25 an hour up. I’d be going for 12-15 for wagon driving.

I had similar thoughts recently, as being tied to the construction trade my job is potentially iffy.

That said there are many plant hire firms who will hire another company to do their moves whilst their wagon sits idle when the driver is off because they will not risk letting an agency bod loose with loading plant.

I’m actually doing this right now, I’ve found myself an opening but am doing it whilst clinging on to my job. In fact it could just be the only thing keeping me in my job. But if the worst comes I’ll just get out there and try it on my own.

ashattack:
Evening everyone, getting laid off on Nov 7th and am thinking about going self employed ( nothing to do with haulage, been offered work with a customer ) Anyway, was thinking about some holiday/sickness cover etc to keep my hand in and was wondering what would be an acceptable hourly rate to charge. Any advice gratefuly accepted, cheers

Where you are, around £9-£10 an hour basic so you’re not outpricing yourself in regards to what agencies are charging.

Thanx for the replies up to now, was thinking around £10-£11 p/h so not to appear greedy! Does help that i managed to pay the mortgage off a couple of years ago- when big brother (EU) wasnt telling you how many hours a week they would let you work! Cheers for now

Start off at 10, get yourself a reputation (good i mean) then start increasing. You want to be somewhere around the 12 mark.