What weight truck can I drive with a car licence abroad?

Me and my bird have just started a new business importing stuff from Morocco (all legal stuff, no jokes please) and I may need to make occasional trips with a van/truck down there.

I passed my car driving test back in 1982 so I know I can drive legally up to 7.5t in the UK on my ‘grandfather rights’ - but what about abroad? Am I limited to 3.5t outside this country?

In Europe it should be 7.5 tonne, not sure about Africa, though. Good luck with the business, hope you don`t make a “hash” of it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i didn’t know they had traffic laws in africa :wink:

i would have thought 7.5 ton but im just a “dope” :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

gvm you may get more luck posting this in the european forum

jon

Don’t forget that Grandfather rights only apply as long as you retain your 82 licence. If you change your licence for any reason (like washing it), your new licence will only be for 3.5t.

jonboy:
i didn’t know they had traffic laws in africa :wink:

i would have thought 7.5 ton but im just a “dope” :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

gvm you may get more luck posting this in the european forum

jon

Have I gone mad or isn’t this the European Forum??

the bear said:

sorry it got moved from the newbie forum over to here forgot to edit my post :blush:

jon

TheBear:

Check the front page Bear :smiley: , it says Euro Driving Forum, Shipping out to Europe or Beyond? Need advice, directions, this forum is for both the veteran and first time Euro driver.

Surely Europe and beyond, would cover Africa? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

“Grandfather rights”, Simon you don’t loose your right to drive up to 7.5 tons just by renewing your licence.
There are still plenty of the old class 3 drivers around who have a C+E (restricted to wagon and drag). If they are 45 or over they have to renew their licence every 5 years for the medical and they don’t loose their grandfather right either.
Please make sure of your facts before you scare the hell out of everybody :open_mouth: :smiley: :wink:

Many thanx to all who replied to my original post. Yes, tecnically morocco is in Africa not Europe but I still have to cross two European countries to get there. And I take the point about whether they have traffic laws in Africa-but it’s good to know your rights when you get fingered by the local police.
Turn right at Calais for Morocco, isn’t it?

Better to go straight on and you will soon see signs for Casablanca. :wink: :smiley:

Sorry Henk, I got it wrong, partly. :blush:

However, unless you can prove you are useing your 7.5t entitlement ( which would cover GreenVanMan), when you change your car licence for any reason, like washing it, you lose your 7.5t entitlement. Its reduced to 3.5t. :frowning: That is assuming you only have a car licence…