What was your first job interview like

after passing my class 1 in 1983 and not having much luck finding work ,i heard gordon plant was looking for a driver in my home town [crewe] so armed with my new licence iarrived in his yard the next day,i strode confidently across the yard to the old bloke sat on the fork lift [turned out this was gordon himself] wheres the transport office i asked him ,your in it son what do you want ;heard you were looking for a driver says i .without even looking at me he said take the ropes and sheets off that trailer over there.he sat on the fork lift smoking a ■■■ and watching my every move,i duly rolled up two bottle sheets and afly sheet properly just like my old man taught me and humped them on the back of the trailer;i walked back over to him “do you know what a gardner 180 is son” he said “yes” says i "be here for 6 monday"he said "have i got the job then " said i "upto now youv got next week "he replied ;strangest job interview i ever had ;ended being there 2 years

Mine was defiantly a little strange and intimidating. A girl I was going out with when I was 16 was bought up with the family I work for. My boss’s mum was like her nan I had met my boss a couple of times and to say I was scared of him would be an understatement if you could imagine the straightest most miserable 6"2 bloke you know then your half way there understanding what kind of bloke he was. He had just sacked yet another driver when I said to his mum one day whilst round there with the now ex that i wouldn’t mind driving for him. A week later I was told to go round one night. I sat on their kitchen table when my boss walked in after work, “you want a job then” he said without even looking at me “yeah if you want me” I said I was only 18 but had always grafted they knew that but I’d only been driving a car legally for a year. Then the terms and conditions began, still not looking at me as he made a coffee(for himself).

• you’ll start at 7 and go home when I say you’ve finished,
    -you’ll work Easter bank holiday that’s non negotiable,
    -you’ll work Saturdays that’s non negotiable,
    -if its ■■■■■■■ with rain outside there’s no hiding in the lorry you’ll be getting wet,
    -if I ask you to do something you’ll do it,
    -you’ll do things my way and how I want them done that’s non negotiable,
    -you’ll look after my things like there your own if you don’t you’ll be up the road,
    And so this continued for the next 5 minutes “so do you want the job” yes ill do it I said with a bit of a dry throat come on then put your shoes on take me back to the yard. I then had to drive his 7.5 tonne back to the yard no licence no provisional nothing the whole way there being shouted at and having my driving picked to pieces considering I’d only ever driven a car I was happy to get it there in one piece.
    Fast forward 8 years and I’m still there. I’ve had many a fall out and been sacked more times then I remember but never made it out of the yard. I’ve been taught his way and think I’ve become a better driver/worker for it. I’m treated like family and as much as he acts like he hates me I know he thinks alot of me. He’s always got my back and does things for me that no other employer would, I’ve been offered work else where and trust me it would be an easier days graft then what I’m doing but the grass isn’t always greener and I’m not stupid enough to find out. As much as It does my head in at times being there I don’t think you could work for a straighter family he’s fair he’s strict but in his own way he looks after me so no doubt I’ll be there for the foreseeable future.