What voltage are cigarette lighters?

Daft question got a sat nav for a car 12 volt, what is the voltage on trucks
are they 12 volt or have they got a voltage dropper on them ?.

12v or 24v

It’s safest to assume that any socket will be 24 volt.

Buy a cheap voltage dropper for 20-30 quid from a truckstop or MSA, and put that between your satnav and the socket. ESPECIALLY if you’ve not used that precise truck before. If it won’t come on then it’s a 12v socket and plug it in as normal.

But if you plug your satnav into a 24v socket, expect sparks and a dead satnav. Be very careful.

Thanks for your quick reply allikat.

No problem mate.

Just watch it, I lost a 30 quid hands free to a badly labled 24v socket. Don’t you go and blow a grands worth of satnav to the same.

or if not in woolies i know that they were doing a 12v power pack that has 2 cigarette outlets on it and “should be able to start a petrol car but dont count on it” for around £15 can be charged from the mains and is a nice portable size for a backup to all things 12v :wink:

Also if you take the lighter out of the socket it sometimes says 24v in small letters on it.

simon

SimonRS2K:
Also if you take the lighter out of the socket it sometimes says 24v in small letters on it.

simon

If it’s still in the motor after 5 minutes that is…

Oh, The Actros I had had a switch on the dash to change ciggy lighter voltage. Keep an eye out for that.

Thanks for all the help guys.I will check out 12 or 24 before i use it.
A grands worth of satnav ?, i wish i was made of money, my satnav cost £350 from Aldi & a great little bit of kit it is. well worth begging the wife for the cash.

Still 350 quid that gcould go ■■■■ if you plug it in the wrong hole…

Keep your wits about you and you’ll be fine, especially if you’re in one truck the whole time. The Iveco I had when I was tramping was dead easy, 2 sockets, both 24v. 24v-12v Dropper in one, 24v stuff in the other.

Definitely use a dropper. I have an Actros and naturally assumed the 12/24 switch on the dash that Allikat mentioned was for the ciggy lighter, but apparently it’s for the ‘accessory’ wires they fit up above the screen.
I…erm…fried 3 rigs before I found out this!! :blush:

Why not buy a cheap digital multi meter? Saw one in Maplins the other day for about a fiver. Comes in useful for other things too. Got mine in me bag all the time! :slight_smile:

stick your tongue in it, if it tickles it is 12 V if it hurts it will be 24V :laughing:

Dafman:
stick your tongue in it, if it tickles it is 12 V if it hurts it will be 24V :laughing:

glad you daid tongue :stuck_out_tongue: and dare we ask how you seem to know that this method works and if so what where you thinking at the time lol

well i knew the other bit being slightly bigger :laughing: :laughing: would not fit

allikat:

SimonRS2K:

simon

If it’s still in the motor after 5 minutes that is…

Oh, The Actros I had had a switch on the dash to change ciggy lighter voltage. Keep an eye out for that.

Are you sure thats what the switch does Alli? In the Actros units used in my depot it switches the auxillary sockets on and off. The cigar lighters are all 24v and live all the time. Might be worth checking before assuming its a voltage switch.

nomad98:
Thanks for all the help guys.I will check out 12 or 24 before i use it.
A grands worth of satnav ?, i wish i was made of money, my satnav cost £350 from Aldi & a great little bit of kit it is. well worth begging the wife for the cash.

Slightly off topic but it seems Aldi are coming up with some reasonably priced bits n bobs. Nipped in for a 60p bag of sugar…came out with…
A £200 5.25 megapix digi camera c/w video & audio :unamused: :laughing: :exclamation: :question:

When doing agency work I just called in at Maplins, for the sake of around £3-00 bought the components to make up a simple tester, 24v bulb and holder, small plastic case and 1mtr of thin cable, popped a ciggie plug or a hella on the end of the wire and plug it in, if it’s bright it’s 24v if it’s dull 12v dead easy dead basic but a ■■■■ good saver of electronic gear, you know what drivers are like for gadgets :slight_smile: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: