What vehicle to train in?

What would people recommend to learn in for class 2 then 1.
MANUAL OR AUTO?
ARTIC OR W+D?

You’ll get a lot of varied responses here.

Every single trainer that has auto’s will shove the whole “train in an auto, it’s easier to pass your test in” argument down your throat. Usually followed by “most trucks in the work place are auto now anyway”

Since passing both my class 2 and 1 (in manuals) I’ve still never driven an automatic.

Would you want to train in an auto, then get landed with a truck with gears? I know I wouldn’t.

Sounds weird but never driven an auto car so for me its manual all the way even though I get the impression it maybe slightly harder.
That’s just based on what ive read on here!!

Endgame:
You’ll get a lot of varied responses here.

Every single trainer that has auto’s will shove the whole “train in an auto, it’s easier to pass your test in” argument down your throat. Usually followed by “most trucks in the work place are auto now anyway”

Since passing both my class 2 and 1 (in manuals) I’ve still never driven an automatic.

Would you want to train in an auto, then get landed with a truck with gears? I know I wouldn’t.

I did that. Past in an auto, 3rd truck in was a 4 over 4 manual. I don’t see why people need to keep harping on about autos. So what if it makes the test easier, I’d rather learn in an auto and have the test be easier on my nerves. Manuals are not hard, its only hard when you are having to learn everything else about the truck and how it handles and how you are supposed to handle it on the road. An hour or so in a manual and you’ll pick it up.

You’ll find that trainers, with a sale pitch, that have auto’s will recommend auto’s. Whereas people who have passed in manuals will usually recommend manuals.

The first assessment drive I had for a company after passing my cat C was a manual. I passed in a 4 over 4 DAF CF, the assessment I had was in a Merc Axor, 6 speed gearbox. Despite the fact I passed in a manual, the gearbox still threw me off because I’d never driven that particular kind of gear before. So, if someone was to pass in an auto, then get given the keys to a manual, I doubt they would feel too comfortable.

W&D manuals are a good option to go for, IMO.

Personally I prefer manuals- Never had a manual car. I suppose for someone who prefers auto cars is going to be drawn to auto trucks. Your best bet is probably to have an assessment in both, and see what you prefer the feel of.

Just to add, I passed my class 1 with 1 minor, which wasn’t gears related. I don’t believe the theory that auto’s make it easier to pass your test. A couple of agencies I applied to when I first passed my class 2 asked what I passed in, auto or manual. They preferred people who passed in manuals.

Manual and Artic all the time

W&D AUTO is likely to be the easiest way to pass CE but post test it is very advisable to get some artic training

Gears can be learnt post test - after all, there are so many types that its almost impossible to learn more than one type during training

My thoughts were go for auto all the way (c and c+e). I’m not phased by gears in the slightest and I look forward to having a go but I just wanted to concentrate on my driving skills. My gear changing skills, I want to learn in my own time. That’s what youtube is for :smiley:

instantKarma:
My thoughts were go for auto all the way (c and c+e). I’m not phased by gears in the slightest and I look forward to having a go but I just wanted to concentrate on my driving skills. My gear changing skills, I want to learn in my own time. That’s what youtube is for :smiley:

Changing gear while manoeuvring a large vehicle is part of HGV driving and therefore part of the skill in driving HGVs, allowing people to take the test in automatics is simply a way of making the test easier to pass.

I don’t blame anyone for taking the easiest route when they have to pay so much for training, I’d probably do the same, but to suggest that changing gears is in some way a separate skill to driving is just wrong.

Whilst I’m a trainer, I am completely unbiased in this discussion as we have manual and auto CAT C, manual and auto drawabar and auto full size artic. So, apart from manual artic, we’ve got the full range. IMO there is no “right” and “wrong”. It’s down to the customer to choose their route to the licence. I can advise them on the easiest route - but that isn’t always what’s wanted.

Our largest local employer of new drivers, Sports Direct, has a fleet of drawbars and a fleet of artics. I trained the assessor and he will train anyone from their current position to whatever is needed. Most new drivers will not have driven 3 pedal Opticruise - might not have even heard of it! But Sports Direct have got a yard full of them sat at the side of another yard of fully auto. My point here is that, regardless of what you learn on, you will probably have to adapt and learn something different in the real world.

It’s a clever person who can say that there is only one “right” way to train someone when there are so many variations on the road.

It’s worth bearing in mind that, until 10 years ago, most folks learned on a relatively small, unladen, flat back vehicle with a 5 or 6 speed gearbox. I spent years turning out artic drivers on a Bedford TK (google it) which was 19 tonne all up! Never caused a major headache and drivers adapted, of their own volition, to the vehicle they were eventually paid to drive. So what has changed? We then had the rule that all training vehicles had to have at least 8 forward gears - and they even messed that up!. Perfectly possible to learn on a straight 6 with a splitter (theoretically 12 speed) and never operate the splitter! Are we now saying that current candidates are so dim they have to be shown everything? I think not!!

So we will continue to offer choice. In fact, just about to order another brand new drawbar outfit. Our artic will be accompanied by another during next year so we are fully committed to offering choice rather than dictating to the candidate that they will learn on “so and so” because it suits the trainer.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

bluenose33:
What would people recommend to learn in for class 2 then 1.

Wrong question, sorry. Concentrate on finding a good trainer. That is more important that the question you ask.