What truck to buy for best mpg

Hi all,
New to this but would like to hear your views,

I have been operating tippers and an artic low loader (MANs) in the building game in N I for quite a few years, but it has dried up and have been offered distance work for artic’s.
What truck in anyone’s opinion gives the best mpg as this is the biggest single running cost, in my work mpg didn’t really matter as we didn’t put up the miles. I am not bothered what I run, although I drive myself, more how much it costs to run, also the work would all be in the 40t+ bracket doing bigger miles.
Another point I’ve always heard is that the bigger engine’s are easier run, so would you buy between a 400 or a 530, is it true that bigger is better? Also would buying newer (2-4 year old) trucks compared with older (5-8 year old trucks) have any effect on fuel economy, I know the mechanic would probably be better of with the older truck.
Some of you guys with fleets with different trucks and different ranges of engines, do you check how they compare?

Anyway, looking forward to your comments.

I drive a 12 plate Volvo 540 on uk long distance fridge work
I do about 500 to 700 ks a day,alot of motorway driving mainly,
Hardly ever full weight, and sometimes return empty
At the start of my week, I always zero the trip meter.
Through the summer I was getting over 10mpg every week
but recently, struggling to get near 9
The work is roughly the same

The truck has 300000kms on the clock

hope this helps
regards tony

The only problem with using a lorry’s on board mpg figures is that that tell lies, up to 2mpg wrong in some cases :open_mouth:

Why not give Renault Premiums a look , if fuel good consumption is the criteria you are looking for ,I have heard of good but very good fuel returns from both drivers and operators alike , but watch out for comments from the badge snobs who no doubt dream up negative reports !!! .

BSav:
Hi all,
New to this but would like to hear your views,

I have been operating tippers and an artic low loader (MANs) in the building game in N I for quite a few years, but it has dried up and have been offered distance work for artic’s.
What truck in anyone’s opinion gives the best mpg as this is the biggest single running cost, in my work mpg didn’t really matter as we didn’t put up the miles. I am not bothered what I run, although I drive myself, more how much it costs to run, also the work would all be in the 40t+ bracket doing bigger miles.
Another point I’ve always heard is that the bigger engine’s are easier run, so would you buy between a 400 or a 530, is it true that bigger is better? Also would buying newer (2-4 year old) trucks compared with older (5-8 year old trucks) have any effect on fuel economy, I know the mechanic would probably be better of with the older truck.
Some of you guys with fleets with different trucks and different ranges of engines, do you check how they compare?

Anyway, looking forward to your comments.

ATM,

it would be VERY hard to beat the new Merc Actros MP4 2545 but would mean having to buy new. :confused:
You should be able to get a nice deal on a new one though :question:

I hope your not going to pull for the usual NI “suspects”@ £1.10/mile :question: :question: :open_mouth:

newmercman:
The only problem with using a lorry’s on board mpg figures is that that tell lies, up to 2mpg wrong in some cases :open_mouth:

This is correct as most already know the only way to get a true mpg figure is by brimming the tank and using the tacho head distances ,you can’t beat doing it the old way.

Scania 420/440 have given me my best figures of recent years with 460 DAF a close second, if you could manage to drive the DAF as slow as the Scania Slug then i suspect it would be just as good on fuel.

If you look at the last few years worth of roadtests in the transport mags you will generally find Daf are there or there abouts.

Daf’s are great if you have a very light foot

Muckspreader:
Daf’s are great if you have a very light foot

This really applies to most if not all modern trucks .

You have to look at different factors.
Lot’s of hill climbing?
mainly motorway?
Always fully loaded?

Just remember, You wouldn’t pull a large caravan with a 1000cc mini.

Big Truck:
ATM, it would be VERY hard to beat the new Merc Actros MP4 2545 but would mean having to buy new. :confused:

I’d agree.

One of our agency customers has a brand new fleet of them, (They’re still arriving.) and this week I’ve been getting circa 11mpg, and some of their guys have been getting 13mpg according to their notice board.

Ken.

Quinny:

Big Truck:
ATM, it would be VERY hard to beat the new Merc Actros MP4 2545 but would mean having to buy new. :confused:

I’d agree.

One of our agency customers has a brand new fleet of them, (They’re still arriving.) and this week I’ve been getting circa 11mpg, and some of their guys have been getting 13mpg according to their notice board.

Ken.

the new mercs are meant to be blinding on fuel.

jessicas dad:

Quinny:

Big Truck:

I’d agree.

Ken.

the new mercs are meant to be blinding on fuel.

They are whipping the ARSES off the XF105 460/480/FH460/480/Stralis450/MAN TGX440/Premium 460DXi/Scania R440 in our fleet :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses: