What to wear at interview

hi all. i passed my hgv class 2 and driver cpc a couple of weeks ago, have now recievied my licence and cpc in the post, so done some ringing around last week most companys saying i need 2 years experience, anyways i went on some websites and come across robert wiseman diarys, there wasnt any jobs advertised but a link to download an application form, and they would file it till something comes up, so posted it wednesday and friday morning got a call saying that they aint worried about no experience,and asked me to come in for a interview monday afternoon,im 28 and have been lucky in recent jobs because aint ever had to do an interview. i really dont no what to wear, im not a suit wearing person and dont have any thing like that to wear, would casual clothes be ok? really not looking forward to it at all, any advise would be great help

Stoke City shirts seem to be in fashion atm :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously though, I always believe a shirt & tie at the least give the right impression. If the interveiwer has the choice of 2 applicants (similarly qualified etc) he is always gonna give the tie wearer the job rather than a herbert in jeans & t-shirt.

Agree with madbaz on this except I wouldnt wear the tie poss a skirt though :laughing:

How would you expect someone to turn up if you were interviewing them 1st impressions etc

My advice would be dark trousers/jeans, and a tidy (plain) polo shirt. If you’ve got clean toe-tectors, wear 'em coz they may ask you to do a test drive. Another thing that makes you look like you’ve thought about a job working in a yard is a pair of decent work gloves and a hi-viz vest. Work gloves cost about £4 and a cheap hi-viz about the same from B&Q or wherever. You don’t have to take 'em in with you if you’ve got a car, just leave 'em in the boot and offer to go get them if required.
Good luck mate :slight_smile:

Generally speaking i think a shirt and tie is abit ott for lorry driving, when i had my interview i wore black jeans, very dark navy blue polo shirt with alittle bit of red detailing on it and some black shoes (not trainers!), i dont think safety are needed really they often dont look that smart hense why i wouldn’t wear them.

Smart and clean but comfortable in case you get taken out on an assessment drive. Look like you’re ready to work. As has already been said, take boots, hi-vis and gloves just in case. Black jeans and a plain polo shirt usually look smart enough for interview, and practical enough if more is required.

Good luck!

cheers to all replies interview went good, got an assesment drive wednesday at 1, dont no what to expect as this is my 1st, all going well i could start induction training monday, pay aint the best i dont think £8.15 an hour? but better then im earning now which is nothing.

£8.15 is better than what I get & yep I do work

Better than all agencies up here for Cat C & CE

if its stobbies and your going for the f1 job apparently jeans and a football top wont get you the job :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

for my current job i turned up in my old companies uniform :smiley: :smiley: interveiw etc consisted of ok your going scotland on monday :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Smart casual, smart jeans, shirt and shoes, no tie for me.