What to train in, rigid or artic for c+e?

For folks who pass in drawbar, we offer an artic conversion course. This lasts 3 hours and has a cost of £180 to Trucknet users. It includes real world reversing, coupling/uncoupling and a healthy amount of driving. It works well and I suggest anyone passing on drawbar should consider it. If nothing else, it’s a confidence booster when faced with the first pre-employment assessment drive.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:

MickyB666:
Once I had passed C+E I took the 3 hour conversion course that PSTT offers and to be honest found it quite easy to get the hang of driving the artic’s, the only difficulties that I have is when it comes to reversing but IMO the test offers very little in the way of getting used to real life reversing procedures and so it benefits are negligible.

…your above statement kind of contradicts that by saying, it was easy to move up to an Artic…
I can’t comment about the reversing, I’ll be cocking mine up this weekend! :laughing: .

I suppose it does sound a bit contradictory, what I should of said is that without the pressure of driving under supervision and with a test looming large it is easy enough to pick up :wink:.

You said that you will be “Cocking your reversing up this weekend” does this mean you have your test this weekend? If so the very best of luck to you. :smiley:

MickyB666:
You said that you will be “Cocking your reversing up this weekend” does this mean you have your test this weekend? If so the very best of luck to you. :smiley:

Yep! :smiley: - Training starts with PSTT at 11am tomorrow (Friday) :open_mouth:

Test on Monday…

Evil8Beezle:

MickyB666:

Yep! :smiley: - Training starts with PSTT at 11am tomorrow (Friday) :open_mouth:

Test on Monday…

I’m probably going to stop indoors for a few days and perfect my limp ready for my cards coming back, that and I don’t want my car getting written off by some twunt of a van driver in a bendy wagon! Im within a few miles radius of pstt and I don’t fancy my chances :smiley:

My sympathies to Dave!

NickW88:

Evil8Beezle:

MickyB666:

Test on Monday…

I’m probably going to stop indoors for a few days and perfect my limp ready for my cards coming back, that and I don’t want my car getting written off by some twunt of a van driver in a bendy wagon! Im within a few miles radius of pstt and I don’t fancy my chances :smiley:

My sympathies to Dave!

He needed counselling last time! :open_mouth:

You go steady, it’s been raining, no drifting!

Evil8Beezle:

NickW88:

Evil8Beezle:

MickyB666:

Test on Monday…

My sympathies to Dave!

He needed counselling last time! :open_mouth:

How you been getting on in the artic

samledger1212:
How you been getting on in the artic

I’m doing good Sam! :smiley:
I don’t want to put the kiss of death on it, but I’m finding it much easier than Class C.
And I put that down to having my Class C experience…

Most who do Class C lessons have no real relevant experience to what they are initially faced with. They don’t know what’s it’s like to driver a WIDER vehicle, they’ve never had to really consider road positioning, cornering angles, early breaking, etc…
So it’s probably a steeper learning curve to pass Class C, than it is to pass C+E…

I’m not even finding the reversing an issue either… Yes I’ve cocked it up a few times, but I’m also trying to explore the boundaries! :smiley:
Today after I’d successfully done it 4 times in a row, I started playing with getting as close to the cones as I could, and seeing if I could just touch the stop board at the end of the reverse! :grimacing:

As I’ve already said, yes it’s possible to pass C & do C+E straight afterwards, but I think a few months Class C experience is like getting paid to have extra lessons! :laughing:

I’m looking forward to tomorrow and Monday, and don’t really have a single concern or worry about passing…
Fingers crossed! :laughing:

Are good glad it’s going OK for you pal start mine a week on Monday was going to do it in the w&d but going to do it in the artic now seen as that’s what I’ll be driving that’s what I was going to do a few months on c then do c+e but I had the money to do both so instead of spending the money I just paid for c+e straight after my c test instead of putting the 1000 down on a new zx10 lol

Evil8Beezle:
…They don’t know what’s it’s like to driver a WIDER vehicle.

Width wise I thought they were pretty much the same? :confused:

MickyB666:

Evil8Beezle:

Artic and Rigid VAN, then yes. My example was the difference between a car or normal van, to a proper VAN (Class C).
Most people are used to driving a car which is 6’6" more or less… So when they jump in an 8’ wide vehicle with almost another 2’ of mirrors hanging off it, it’s a bit of a change to a car…

So when you have Class C experience of that width, it’s not an issue when you jump in an Artic…
I just wonder why some want to rush to get C+E, when a few months Class C experience probably greatly increases the chance of a C+E pass!

Ahh got ya!! I should of read your post properly :blush:

Beezle you van driving numpty, the reason most will reccommend it is because you’re still in learning mode and should adapt easier to the learning system and not have let the naughty habits creep back in… If it was not a money issue id be doing my CE as planned, assuming you don’t wreck the motor of course!

Pls don’t reck the motor I wanna be driving that in the new yr [emoji6]

Evil8Beezle:

MickyB666:

Evil8Beezle:

Artic and Rigid VAN, then yes. My example was the difference between a car or normal van, to a proper VAN (Class C).
Most people are used to driving a car which is 6’6" more or less… So when they jump in an 8’ wide vehicle with almost another 2’ of mirrors hanging off it, it’s a bit of a change to a car…

So when you have Class C experience of that width, it’s not an issue when you jump in an Artic…
I just wonder why some want to rush to get C+E, when a few months Class C experience probably greatly increases the chance of a C+E pass!

Two bloody lessons and he’s an authority on it.

What he hasn’t said on here is that me and Mr Eagerbeaver would like to park up our trucks in true Lidl depot formation, and have him blindside in, with us offering half-arsed advice under a cloak of smirks and rolling eyes!!!

“Hello, is that UK Mail? Are you looking for Sprinter drivers?”

He knows I’m on extracting the proverbial, but it’s nice to keep him in his place.

PaulNowak:

Evil8Beezle:

MickyB666:

Evil8Beezle:

Two bloody lessons and he’s an authority on it.

What he hasn’t said on here is that me and Mr Eagerbeaver would like to park up our trucks in true Lidl depot formation, and have him blindside in, with us offering half-arsed advice under a cloak of smirks and rolling eyes!!!

“Hello, is that UK Mail? Are you looking for Sprinter drivers?”

He knows I’m on extracting the proverbial, but it’s nice to keep him in his place.

I’m up for that pal, just let me get my hands on a skelly and a container and it’s on! :grimacing:

Now where did I put that Yodel application form… :laughing:

In you come…WHOAAA. Forward a bit Beez…WHOAAA. Back again, no forwards, left hand down a bit…WHOAAA DRIVE.

Pass me the keys. Quicker if I do it. PMSL.

eagerbeaver:
In you come…WHOAAA. Forward a bit Beez…WHOAAA. Back again, no forwards, left hand down a bit…WHOAAA DRIVE.

Pass me the keys. Quicker if I do it. PMSL.

LOL - I don’t doubt it pal…

The test reverse I have to nail tomorrow isn’t really any real preparation for the realities of the world…
I’d suggest it’s just to show you have the potential! :smiley:

I’m screwed! :open_mouth:

I think you will smash it pal.

Hopefully the damage will be repairable. GOOD LUCK MATE!!!

I just hope Beezle hasn’t ■■■■■■ up the gearbox! Will he actually be brave enough to drive an artic if he passes his test though?