What to expect?

hi all
firstly i am very new to this site and have read alot of the posts and find thing interesting. i am thinking of becoming a lgv driver(thinking very hard). at present i an just a van driver working 8 - 5.30 monday to friday. i do about 250 miles a day droping motor parts of around lincolnshire. i have many questions for you all and would welcome you advice. (please forgive me for my poor knowlege) i enjoy the drivind and like my job in many ways, apart from the pay! i know driving in genral that i will never make a million but i am sure it must be slightly more rewarding thn what i get at present. my wife is not keen on me staying out nights so i would like to be home at the end of the day, but dont mind if its late. i am not bothered about working weekends. i used to work every weekend when i was in sales. as for starting times well, 7 onwards would be good. i only have one commitment, which is taekwondo. i train on a tue and thurs 7-8pm and i would like to keep it up as i am only a year or so from black belt. i am aged 33 well heres my questions

1. what do the diffrent classes mean (eg. class c or class 1or 2)
  2. what is the pay like
  3. would it suit me as from what i have wrote above
  4. is there plenty of work out there
  5. what is the system for gaining you licence

well like i said i am very new to this so my knowlege is very limited(sorry).
looking forward to all you replies and thank you in advance.

richard06:

1. what do the diffrent classes mean (eg. class c or class 1or 2)

Basically category C are any rigids over 7.5 tonnes, category CE are these rigids towing a trailer over 750kgs ie artics. These categorys roughly equate to the old class 2 and 1 which is why people still use these terms.

richard06:
i know driving in genral that i will never make a million but i am sure it must be slightly more rewarding thn what i get at present.

Don’t be so sure, many van jobs seem to pay better money than driving the bigger vehicles. I know a couple of people who have gone from trucks to vans because the pay is better.

richard06:
my wife is not keen on me staying out nights so i would like to be home at the end of the day, but dont mind if its late.

There are planty of driving jobs that involve no nights out, but it can also have an impact on your pay.

richard06:
as for starting times well, 7 onwards would be good.

Ah, you want a late start every day then. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

richard06:
i only have one commitment, which is taekwondo. i train on a tue and thurs 7-8pm and i would like to keep it up as i am only a year or so from black belt.

It could be possible to find a job that fitted in with this but as a general rule the only sure plan you can make in transport is not to make plans. :wink:

Good luck if you decide to go for it.

richard06:
5. what is the system for gaining you licence

1. Pick up the forms (D2 and D4) from a large post office, or direct from the DVLA.
  2. Go to a doctor and get them to do your medical and fill in the D4 form. You will (probably) have to pay for this. There is a link in the Useful Links Forum to a company that does them relatively cheaply if your doctor charges a lot.
  3. Send off the forms to the DVLA to apply for your provisional Cat.C license. If you don’t already have a photocard license, you will have to provide an authenticated photo as well. I suggest applying for all of the vocational licenses (C,C1,D,D1, +E for all categories), since it doesn’t cost any more, but it will cost you to add them at a future date.
  4. Once you’ve got your provisional license, book, take and pass your theory test (both multi-choice and hazard perception parts). You might like to use the “The Official Theory Test For Drivers Of Large Vehicles” book which you can get from good bookshops. You can book your theory test online at www.dsa.gov.uk.
  5. Once you’ve taken and passed the theory test, book in to a training school. I don’t come from Lincolnshire, so I can’t really recommend one. Ask around for recommendations. Remember that, unlike car driving instructors, LGV instructors don’t have to be registered or regulated. Finding one that is listed on the DSA’s Voluntary Register of LGV Instructors is probably a good idea.
  6. Take the practical training
  7. Take (and pass) the practical test
  8. When you pass your practical test, the examiner will take your existing license, and you’ll get a Cat.C license back in the post. This will entitle you to drive rigid HGVs.
  9. Once you’ve got your rigid license back, you can do the artic training.
  10. Take and pass the artic practical test. (you don’t need to do a second theory test or medical).
  11. Again, your examiner will take your license away, and you’ll get a C+E license in the post. Now you can drive rigid and articulated HGVs.

HTH…

MrFlibble:
I suggest applying for all of the vocational licenses (C,C1,D,D1, +E for all categories), since it doesn’t cost any more, but it will cost you to add them at a future date.

Good idea, I didn’t and when I considered doing my category D (bus/coach) not only did I have to pay but also required a medical, despite having a valid LGV licence :confused: .

richard06 wrote:
i only have one commitment, which is taekwondo. i train on a tue and thurs 7-8pm and i would like to keep it up as i am only a year or so from black belt.

It could be possible to find a job that fitted in with this but as a general rule the only sure plan you can make in transport is not to make plans.

Well you could always tell the boss if he doesnt let you have those evenings for training you’ll have to train on him :laughing: [/code]