What to expect - 1st Royal Mail shift on 7.5T?

I usually drive Class 2 but the agency I work for has roped me in for a couple of shifts at Royal Mail next week on 7.5 Tonne work, which strangely pays more than the normal Class 2 rate I get?

Anyway what should I expect the day to consist of?

Thanks in advance :laughing:

Sleeping in a layby for a couple of hours to toss the job off, and never, ever look over your shoulder or indicate when coming down a slip road :stuck_out_tongue:

Thereā€™s a reason it pays more.

Enjoy :smiling_imp:

claretmatt:
Sleeping in a layby for a couple of hours to toss the job off, and never, ever look over your shoulder or indicate when coming down a slip road :stuck_out_tongue:

not forgetting to park you van in the narrowest part of the road in that little village whilst you go for a brew in the sorting office around the back

Someone elseā€™s birthday card money?

In my mind, it pays more because RM resort to straight-forward market forces to get the drivers in over Christmas.

Whoā€™s going to come off ā€œotherā€ agency assignments, especially when many are also at ā€œenhanced ratesā€ - unless RM offer a knockout rate for over Christmas only?

Whilst wasting money on such an approach mind you - the policy of ā€œshutting the door firmly behind those who jumped shipā€ such as myself - means thereā€™s more risk of finding yourself doing the job next to some no-speke-english who hasnā€™t got a clue how to not smash the kit up - let alone ā€œnot be a trouble makerā€ like yours truly. :blush: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

You will have more drops than Santa, pack the night out gear and Artic survival equipment, such as snow chains, flashing beacons and flares.
If you listen to the Jeremy Vine show, pack the anti bear spray, do not stare at a Doberman that is going to attack, but stare at a German Shepherd if it wants to bite your family jewels off.

All smart answers in their own right tbh but guess Iā€™ll have to wait n see what occurs!

andy288*:
All smart answers in their own right tbh but guess Iā€™ll have to wait n see what occurs!

Youā€™ll most likely be working for the Royal Mail Distribution side of the business starting out from a mail centre delivering processed mail between the mail canter and a local delivery office (DO) within the postcode area the mail centre serves.
Itā€™s tip and load yourself. Maximum of 15 yorks (wheeled cages that the mail is in) per load. Most DOā€™s will be tail lift drops.
Despite popular opinion you donā€™t have to race around.
If youā€™re on days then it may also include customer collections of mail that you need to take to the mail centre to be processed.
You may get the occasional longer distance run but these are generally done by the Royal Mail Logistics side of the business in 17 tonne rigids and artics.

Cheers m1cks.

Sounds possible as I will be based at the mail centre in Wolverhampton.

At least now I have an idea of what to possibly expect! :laughing:

m1cks:

Depends whether heā€™s 1st or 2nd class :laughing: :laughing:

wing-nut:

m1cks:

Our first class mail comes between 1 and 3pm nowadays,donā€™t think posites like early starts anymore

xichrisxi:

wing-nut:

m1cks:

Our first class mail comes between 1 and 3pm nowadays,donā€™t think posites like early starts anymore

Howdya know those staff there late in the night are the early starts who have not got around to going home yet?

On agency at least, indoor and driving alike - you get 90 minutes deducted per shift for breaks once you get to the 12 hour shift mark.

Shifts of 12hr05m therefore only get paid 10hr35 (rounded down to 10.5 hours) Theyā€™ll gravitate towards that ā€œoptimumā€ (for the firm) length.

Winseer:
Howdya know those staff there late in the night are the early starts who have not got around to going home yet?

On agency at least, indoor and driving alike - you get 90 minutes deducted per shift for breaks once you get to the 12 hour shift mark.

Shifts of 12hr05m therefore only get paid 10hr35 (rounded down to 10.5 hours) Theyā€™ll gravitate towards that ā€œoptimumā€ (for the firm) length.

Amazing how all you do is grumble and write constant negative posts yet complain that you canā€™t get back in there / they donā€™t want you back in there.
Give it up Winseer, if thatā€™s all you have to offer these threads then just quietly move along and look at something else.

I did some 7.5tonner work with them a few years ago.There was no need to rush about driving like a ā– ā– ā– ,though most of them did.I worked out of Perth the work was drive to Inverness or 2 runs to Edinburgh.I sometimes was asked to work from Edinburgh and drive to Fort William.The management was quite poor,there was a lot of last minute decisions of no dont go there go somewhere else instead.

You will get Duty Folders which tells you which Vehicle and,what you do on the Minute.
If You run late just report it everytime you arrive somewhere.

AND
Stick to the Time and dont come early
but
dont park on the Way if no good Reason. They woodnt like it if you go shopping. Not even a quick Burger.

Do you know any agencies near Northampton for class2 ā€¦in Royal mail?

didona80:
Do you know any agencies near Northampton for class2 ā€¦in Royal mail?

Pertemps Crick

m1cks:

Winseer:

Amazing how all you do is grumble and write constant negative posts yet complain that you canā€™t get back in there / they donā€™t want you back in there.
Give it up Winseer, if thatā€™s all you have to offer these threads then just quietly move along and look at something else.

A year or so ago, if you remember - I was singing their praises. That was before I realized that theyā€™d wanted rid of me some time since, and therefore fully justifies me leaving when I did - payoff intact as it was. A number of other drivers have since been given the push since I left, further adding to the evidence that RM have adopted a policy of ā€œsaving money by getting rid of long-standing staff for as little as possibleā€. In a way, I was lucky the VR chair was pulled out for me (a senior driver changed his mind, and they offered it to me on the spot ā€œtake it or leave itā€ - I grabbed it with both hands, and ran!)

My grumble when I was still working there was how the ā€œWay Forwardā€ deal stitched up all those drivers who (a) had bothered doing all their ā€œlevelsā€ training, (b) Worked overtime a lot, especially ā€œScheduled Attendanceā€ - which was cut to the bone, and (c) a move to monthly pay which was originally rejected by the Union for a one-off payment of around Ā£1500, only for it to be imposed - for no payment at all of course.

I guess my unpopularity was about my being the constant ā€œhecklerā€ all the time - to both Union and Firm alike.
The final straw for them in terms of me becoming persona non grata - would probably have been when I had an accident on duty, got stuck onto zero pay before Iā€™d even got home from Hospital - to which I sued - and won. :imp:
My bugbear neednā€™t have been with the firm at all - if theyā€™d supported me in claiming from the manufacturer of the faulty trailer that injured me - but decided to try and constructively dismiss me instead.

I was sent in their after leaving by those agencies who were subbing to Manpower - to which I didnā€™t get parity pay of course. Plenty of demand for me at a lower rate of payā€¦
I started making waves about ā€œnot going back unless I could get parity payā€ to which the answer of course was ā€œget lost thenā€ as far as Manpower and RM were concerned.
The last time I was sent into RM was 1st January this year - a shift which I dropped.
Since Iā€™m now back in full time employment again - I donā€™t imagine Iā€™ll be darkening their door again in any case - so itā€™s hardly any skin of my nose.

Pertemps???Do you know how much they pay per hour Ltd company?