What to do?

I am after a bit of constructive advice. Having gained my cpc a few months back and looking into becoming an owner driver i am facing a few problems. After sitting down for some time and trying to work out estimated standing costs and running costs and now getting to a point of applying for an o’licence my main concern is that no one will tell you anything about rates until you are in a position to start working. This could turn into financial suicide if i fork out on o’licence, truck, insurance etc and then find out the rates are no good. Also when looking into insurance rha conditions are £1600 p/ton but you see companies asking for £6500 p/ton? Obviously you would need to provide what the customer wants but why such a big difference?

ant2503:
This could turn into financial suicide if i fork out on o’licence, truck, insurance etc

This, unfortunately, is what starting as an owner driver is at the present time I’m afraid.

ant2503:
and then find out the rates are no good.

This almost certainly going to be the case unless you work directly for someone, not subbieing. Very difficult for a new starter.

ant2503:
Also when looking into insurance rha conditions are £1600 p/ton but you see companies asking for £6500 p/ton? Obviously you would need to provide what the customer wants but why such a big difference?

Some stuff costs more than others, a tonne of computer chips will cost more than a tonne of crisps.

As previously said being an owner driver is extremely tough at the moment. :frowning: So hard to earn a decent living