What to do??

Just when you think everything is going nicely along comes a problem :frowning:
At present I work for a national agency, and for a few months I have had pretty regular work from them with quite a few local firms. This week I’m having a week off, as I’m doing my other job as a musician, and the firm I had been with for three weeks didn’t need me this week. They have, however, booked me for next week Mon - Thurs.
Looking through the job centre web site I came accross a job with a very local firm doing night trunking, and in fact a couple of weeks ago I did the job for one night for them through the agency. I went to see the TM today to get an application form, and had a chat with him. The job is mine if I want it, and he would be more than happy for me to start on Monday. I pointed out that I have promised to do next week for the agency, but would look at being available from the Friday night.
Rang the agency to discuss it with them, and they don’t want to lose me as they are desparate for class 1 drivers. Unfortunately, the manager is away until a week next Mon. and the guy I spoke to made noises about wanting something from the company for taking me on and hinted at maybe offering me some incentive to stay with them.
Firstly I don’t see that the job is anything to do with the agency - I saw an ad. and applied in the normal way. The only thing is that I have worked for them in the past through the agency. The job is local, with regular hours, and would suit me better than some of the agency work which involves travelling further, and is not always regular. However, if I upset the agency, then I won’t be able to go back to them if I should get fed up with this job.
To add to the complications, the driver I would be replacing was from the agency, and he left them in the lurch, so the agency are not very popular with the company at the moment.
Knowing that the company are desparate for a driver, and may not wait long for me to decide, what should I do? The obvious solution is for the agency to put me in there until the manager comes back, but then they would consider that the job was a result of their placement, and expect compensation from the company, so they don’t want to do that either.
I know I really need to look after me and my family first, but I don’t want to get a reputation for being unreliable either.
Any suggestions welcome :blush:

Tough call. Me, I would stick with the agency until a couple of weeks before Christmas then tell them you’ve been offered a full time job elsewhere (ie. at the same company you’re working for) and take that before the work drops off after Christmas.

In saying that, I’m assuming the agency is paying more than the company will be paying you, which is usually the norm.

HTH

It’s called a finders fee and can be anything upto a stipid amount. The agency that i’m with receives £1,500 if a driver takes a permanent job with one of there contracts.

As to whether you should take the job or not, at the end of the day agency work is unreliable, you’ve got a family to support so i’d say take the job, yeah the pay may not be as much as you were getting on the agency but atleast you know your working five days a week.

As for if the job doesn’t work out, well, like you say agencies are always looking for class 1 drivers, so i don’t think you’ll have any problems in finding another agency should the one your with choose not to have you back if it doesn’t work out.

Good luck in whatever you decide ■■

I would do whatever is best for you, as you said there are plenty of class 1 vacancies out there, any decent agency would understand the need to accept a fulltime job and would welcome you back with open arms should you feel the need.

Thanks for the replies - I’ve decided to go for the job since it is close to home and I really fancy it anyway. Called to see the TM with my application today. He was out, but left a message to ask how soon can I start :smiley:

As regards a finders fee, I can see the point, but in this case the job was advertised publicly, and I answered their ad. The agency have had nothing to do with this one, except that they have supplied temp. cover until a full time driver can be found. However, as a mate said, I shall leave all that to the agency and the company. After all, there are other agencies they can use too :wink:

good luck on the new job, hope it works out for you.

as for the other bit, I should imagine that as part of the Business Terms of using the agency it will be in the small print about it they use Driver X and then employ him/her within Y period of time then they are liable to pay the Finders Fee irrespective of how the position was offered.

Si

The finders fee will be questioned by the TM if he’s any good and he’ll no doubt tell the agency that if they try and force him to pay it they’ll get no more work from him. Very few of these actually get paid for this reason.

Don’t worry about leaving the agency. Providing you don’t burn any bridges on your way out they’ll have you back without any questions should you ever need to go back because (a) they need you more than you need them, (b) they know you already, and (c) it happens to them all the time, it comes with the territory for agencies.

Qhunter:
Don’t worry about leaving the agency. Providing you don’t burn any bridges on your way out they’ll have you back without any questions should you ever need to go back because (a) they need you more than you need them, (b) they know you already, and (c) it happens to them all the time, it comes with the territory for agencies.

I’ll second that.