What the hell is happening

Talking to a driver today who told me his firm are charging drivers for damage to equipment…they have to pay the excess.
Also says the boss won’t pay parking when empty and will only pay up to 12 pounds if loaded,also drivers have to pay for slashed curtains :open_mouth:
I asked him why he and his work mates agreed to it and he replied “well that’s how it is now”
I was totally shocked, :open_mouth: ,I bet his boss is laughing at them all
What next? My fuel figures are down I better pop a bit of fuel in keep the boss happy?

Our lot have started charging £250 Excess. I had a minor bump the other day and i’m expecting to be hit with this, I’m not paying and will be heading out the door asap.

I had heard a rumour that reed boardall charge for damage but I think a few other could be doing it so it seems :confused:

Name and shame !!!

It’s a total load of ■■■■■■■■.

I know a lot of hauliers are squeezed financially, but accidents happen & accidental damage to equipment is part & parcel of running a business as far as i’m concerned, especially when your dealing with large & heavy kit like HGVs. If damage does get caused by negligence, it should be dealt with through disciplinary channels.

The way to make sure the kit doesn’t get damaged often is to treat staff well, pay a fair rate & thus attract good drivers. What do some firms expect when they have a revolving door of dregs & agency staff vs. expensive large equipment?

How many other industries see staff charged for accidental damage?

Two sides to this problem I`m afraid.

I`ve just got back from viewing six tractors from the same operator who are downsizing to due the cost of damage and their insurers starting to get very fussy regarding who they insure / allow to drive.

The damage to these motors was quite shocking, nothing major, just low level lack of pride/brains damage, everything low down both sides :blush:

Bumper corners, door panels, wheels, spray suppression, fuel tanks, Hydraulic tank, AdBlu tanks, wings amongst other things all damaged repaired, bodged up… :unamused:

But the one thing that was very noticeable, was the inside of the cabs were virtually spotless ?

Slipper wearing tank polishing truck butchers perhaps ■■?

NLC transport in warrington charge drivers for damage. Lads have been docked hundreds of pounds for lost mudflaps. Needless to say I walked out after acouple of weeks. Im not having that hanging over me.

If there was a clause…

In my contract about me paying for damage, I’d strike it out before signing. That’d probably lose me the job before I’d even started.

If it’s not written into your contract, then they can’t just deduct money from your salary for damages.

If you’re actually writing them out a cheque or paying cash for any damge you’ve been accused of, you’re a fool.

TJR EXPRESS LOGISTICS. Avoid like the plague if this type of thing bothers you.

yorkshire terrier:
Talking to a driver today who told me his firm are charging drivers for damage to equipment…they have to pay the excess.
Also says the boss won’t pay parking when empty and will only pay up to 12 pounds if loaded,also drivers have to pay for slashed curtains :open_mouth:
I asked him why he and his work mates agreed to it and he replied “well that’s how it is now”
I was totally shocked, :open_mouth: ,I bet his boss is laughing at them all
What next? My fuel figures are down I better pop a bit of fuel in keep the boss happy?

So when a planner messes up and sends someone to the wrong place or whatever mistake they make would they get charged for extra fuel/wages etc ? I doubt it very much. Damned if I’ll ever work for a company like this .

I would say good bye , why should I pay for some low life’s actions because the boss is to tight to pay for parking
Next they’ll be charging drivers for Bed and breakfast if they night out in cab

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you don’t do any damage then the £250 won’t bother you and if it does then it will make you think before becoming a screw driver , its probably aimed more at the screw drivers who do regular damage rather than the good driver who occasionally does a bit due to the nature of the delivery sites .

We have a "compliance bonus"which is takenaway for extreme muppetry

Unfortunately it is becoming the norm, and leaves the decent firms good drivers can work for, in short supply. I’d not work for someone who charges for damage, but then again, I don’t cause thousands worth through negligence

commonrail2:

That word “compliance” grates my bones…
Normally a word spouted by jobsworh driver trainers and Heath and safety nob heads
:smiley:

yorkshire terrier:

commonrail2:

Normally a word spouted by jobsworh driver trainers and Heath and safety nob heads

Call it what you want it’s a good idea, in my last job I did zero damage in the 7 years I was there apart from catching an abs lead on a trailer ratchet handle and had not a single penny as a reward so I personally think these accident free bonus ideas are good.

I think these schemes could be a good idea, but ONLY if these firms are paying above the norm to compensate for it. This could be in the form of a bonus that you lose for a set period, but I’m buggered if I’d agree to an open ended deal where I have to pay back X for an unknown period of time. However, I suspect these systems are being run by crap firms who are also crap payers.

Bring on the revolution and the supposed impending driver shortage! :laughing:

bald bloke:

yorkshire terrier:

commonrail2:

Call it what you want it’s a good idea, in my last job I did zero damage in the 7 years I was there apart from catching an abs lead on a trailer ratchet handle and had not a single penny as a reward so I personally think these accident free bonus ideas are good.

It is a good idea our lot often do £10,000 a week between 200+ drivers thats £2600 per year per driver roughly, a non damage bonus of £200 every six months would make business sense, the problem is admisitering the bonus and a massive amount of damage occurs in the yard when trailers are parked and driven into then the last driver gets the blame and loses the bonus, our lot are rabid bean counters I’m sure they have thought of this,

would be nice as I don’t feel the compulsion to drive into things and the money would be nice boils my pee when we have lots of very good kit that gets wrecked and stinking and nobody gets pulled up for it.

My lot tried this…

It was quickly binned when we refused to go onto tight building sites that could cause damage! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Just to clarify…bonus is only stopped for EXTREME muppetry