What the biggest risk youve ever taken?

Rear gunner on a milk float going up the Falls Road

109LWB:
I went to Nottingham once.

moving to live in nottingham :open_mouth:

Some eye opening posts on this thread.

For me it has to be almost everyday on a construction site during the 1990, s, going above and beyond with a hiab to get the job done.

Although recently I let the wife borrow me laptop before I had cleared the browsing history. After a session on analadventures.com I prayed she wouldn’t go on any website beginning with the letter ‘A’.

Yep youve guessed it she wanted to look at amazon… :open_mouth:

Being told by senior police officers not to enter a house on my own, whilst the elderly ladies house was being burgled.
Sod that, caught the scum in the act, who desperately wanted out and i desperately wanted to keep him in whilst the back up arrived.
Few minutes of anything goes, felt like minutes, i was knackered, he was locked up.
Never been happier to see the traffic lads, who were first at scene.
Apparently i put myself at risk and got a bollocking, ye ye ye, one ear and all that.
To much H&S now.

Back in the day when i was in the RN

Having to go ashore in full rig for a pint when at Raleigh, even worse i was an Artificer WAFU.
A quick one, asking my oppo, who was a Royal Marine what musical instrument he played. He was a mate, but his reaction was a gem and worth the risk.

the maoster:
Falls Road 1981 close confirmation of a car bomb, “grunts” are cheaper than ATO’s!

crossmaglen 86 say no more :smiling_imp:

Sight seeing on Falls Road, and the van starting misfiring, crawled back to Lisburn and the timing belt broke on the way. And using Glenshane Pass as a short cut

war1974:

109LWB:
I went to Nottingham once.

moving to live in nottingham :open_mouth:

Not moving out off Nottingham when given the chance. :cry:
OR
Giving the wife Tescos reduced flowers for her birthday. Would have got away with it but I left the £1.15 reduced price tag on them. :blush:

Swapping seats with a co driver at 56mph on the M42 :wink:

Seen in ma old f12 385 would go down shap s/b at tebay …104mph wee 24 ton o tatties u wicked roger

Moving back to Belgium…

I realise this pales into insignificance compared to the chaps who served in Northern Ireland during the troubles, but for me probably the biggest risk I’ve taken was spending my life savings (and then some) putting my own truck on the road.

As it happens, it has worked out, but if the engine had blown up after a fortnight, say, it would have ruined me financially.

Laying a rather large bet to an unpatriotic football fan.
Can’t remember whether it was world cup or euros…but the opponants where sweden(4/6).
We only needed a draw to progress…and this loud mouth carpet fitter was giving it the ■■■■■■■■ in the pub the night before…saying we would be knocked out.
i took him on,to the tune of 600 quid.
final score 0-0
Party time :smiley:

the maoster:
The black cabs were used as replacement buses as the regular buses wouldn’t enter the Catholic areas. It was quite common to see them picking 6 or 7 passengers up who didn’t know each other but were merely stood waiting for one to turn up.

A lot of the cabs were rolling death traps tbh as (iirc) the province only required vehicles to be MOT’d once every 8 years! (I stand to be corrected on that though)

The cabbies were more often than not very low ranking PIRA members (google Derek Howes).

Edit to add; just reread what you said about the cabs being empty. Well apart from the totally innocent occasions when they were looking for a fare, they used to do a lot of “dicking”. Dicking was a military term for “dickers” who noted security forces movements and tried to establish a pattern of actions. If you established a pattern you died. Simple as that.

I think quite a few people watched the murders of the two corporals,very sad day

again, nothing compared to some of the others here.

jumping the beck!

no trial runs, no building up, no coming up short, just flat out in 6th!

quad jump.jpg

truckman020:

the maoster:
The black cabs were used as replacement buses as the regular buses wouldn’t enter the Catholic areas. It was quite common to see them picking 6 or 7 passengers up who didn’t know each other but were merely stood waiting for one to turn up.

A lot of the cabs were rolling death traps tbh as (iirc) the province only required vehicles to be MOT’d once every 8 years! (I stand to be corrected on that though)

The cabbies were more often than not very low ranking PIRA members (google Derek Howes).

Edit to add; just reread what you said about the cabs being empty. Well apart from the totally innocent occasions when they were looking for a fare, they used to do a lot of “dicking”. Dicking was a military term for “dickers” who noted security forces movements and tried to establish a pattern of actions. If you established a pattern you died. Simple as that.

I think quite a few people watched the murders of the two corporals,very sad day

but they didn’t see the whole UNEDITED version! :imp: unfortunately they were in the wrong place at the wrong time! :smiling_imp: BUT if you go/ venture into an OOB ( out of bounds ) area you risk your life! Unfortunately they were only taking photos of murals, one was going home, one was starting his operational tour but feelings were high as the Gibraltar three tommy terrorists were being buried! They PAID THE ULTIMATE PRICE! :cry: our government has a lot to answer for these MURDERS! :smiling_imp:

Listening to orifices in Basrah!

Dundalk then enniskillen with a bright orange unit and trailer
during the Drumcree stand offs mid nighties.
Not very funny moments.

ajs68:
Having to go ashore in full rig for a pint when at Raleigh, even worse i was an Artificer WAFU.

I’ll black cat that with going for a pint in Torpoint in full Artificers rig from HMS Fisgard, underage and meeting my Div Chief in the pub!

I was a WEA. Any ex Ganges tifs on here?

Delivering a removal nr falls road ! I asked witch way to the docks mate? Turn left on the falls rd, put yer foot down and don’t …ing stop!