What sort of ''deals''

After seeing the chaos ensuing yesterday with the holiday traffic it got me wondering.What will happen after the UK leaves the EU.
Are we going back to the Days of Tforms and custom agents again,where you have to clear at an EU border,that will be fun. Will it be like before with Places like Aosta,Cluses,Coslada,La Jonquera and such like reopening,will we have to go to small '‘out of the way’'customs newly opened custom offices.
We joined in the early 70s but with EU bureaucracy it took until the late 90s Before the final demise of T forms.
And what about the dreaded ‘‘turn outs’’,will they return. Just pondering what ‘‘could,or not’’ happen,depending on ‘‘deals’’ made.
I remember when doing ships stores and groupage having up to 50 T forms :confused:

hutpik:
After seeing the chaos ensuing yesterday with the holiday traffic it got me wondering.What will happen after the UK leaves the EU.
Are we going back to the Days of Tforms and custom agents again,where you have to clear at an EU border,that will be fun. Will it be like before with Places like Aosta,Cluses,Coslada,La Jonquera and such like reopening,will we have to go to small '‘out of the way’'customs newly opened custom offices.
We joined in the early 70s but with EU bureaucracy it took until the late 90s Before the final demise of T forms.
And what about the dreaded ‘‘turn outs’’,will they return. Just pondering what ‘‘could,or not’’ happen,depending on ‘‘deals’’ made.
I remember when doing ships stores and groupage having up to 50 T forms :confused:

Who knows? Sure they are many opinions out there, and lots of wishful thinking, but until terms and negotiations are over no-one can say. I would guess any clearance would be done before boarding a ferry in the UK and shipping out, and after arriving in UK before clearing customs and immigration. With modern technologies there shouldn`t be need for long queues to get some scraps of paper stamped, but will still not be without costs!

Hi Franglais.As you say,‘nobody knows’.My musing was just thinking generally about the last 40yrs and how things have ‘progressed’,if that is the right word :wink: .
All goods and Products have a value,firstly the basic value,this is then substantially increased due to taxes,duties and tarifs.Alchohol and fuel come to mind as a good example,they cost pennies at point of production but after taxes etc they almost become luxury items.
There are millions of items,products and natural resourses which will have to be re-evaluated and re classed in relation to import-export depending on what 'deals’are made.I wonder how much time and Money this all will add to everything.
Just on a personal note i am against the EU,the UK should never have joined,but after the ‘progress’[if that’s the right word]of 40yrs of being in the ‘‘club’’ was it not a bit late to leave.The EU is not the problem,it’s the top Heavy bureaucracy in the hands of too few people which has led to the overbearing arrogance,corruption and the ‘‘pig in the trough’’ mentality which permeates though the ‘corridors of power’.It would have been better if the UK,as a powerful country,along with 'like minded other countries[and there are a few],could not have pressured the EU from inside for change.

Hi. I wont repeat some of my previous posts about Brexit, but, (always a but), I do agree with some of your points. I dont believe the EU is at all perfect, but was/am a remainer. Corruption/incompetence at the top? Seems to me thats, more or less true in all organisations; power corrupts, absolute etc. Westminster politicians are no better than their EU counterparts. Maybe the UK press with its xnophobic owners/editors is somewhat biased in its reporting? I do think youre correct that the best route would have been to stay and modernise the EU. There seems to me also to have been an underlying mood for change within the older members of the EU, but Im afraid that our "out" vote may now tend to unite them against us. I hope not. Any extra layer of bureaucracy can only add costs cant it? Any documents, be they old paper T2s etc or modern electronic ones will all need someone to make, check, and clear them. All at a cost. And it will always be the end buyer who foots the bill. Anyway with electronic documents I wouldnt expect the resurgence of TIR parks, and would think the vehicles loads would keep moving more. But just because the docs are not carried with the load doesnt mean its at zero cost. Exit negotiations will cost money of course. And while we will need an army of negotiators talking to Brussels about exit, well also need another army talking to NAFTA, an army for China, and another for the Trans Pacific countries etc etc.

I’m sure it’s going to be more like crossing into Norway than Turkey - 2 minutes with an MRN number or a couple more with a declaration

Lets hope that it goes more toward the Norwegian way.Unfortunately Norway is one of the more efficient lands,there are more than 20 other countries,some of whom are less than efficient and more than a little corrupt and lazy so we will have to see.

the modernisation of the EU would be good, but with 28 or 27 countries having to agree and policies that are being driven by the ideology of an intergrated and expanding EU, I don’t see how it can happen, unless they get some proper shocks so they are forced to change direction or the whole project will collapse.
the UK voting to leave was a bit of a blow, as I think many thought it would never happen, but I’m not sure it’s enough of a shock for the EU to re-evaluate it’s direction.

As for the op’s question, like others not sure, but I think, despite the retoric from some in the EU and the UK, the needs of business and therefore employment will force them to find practical solutions, so trade can continue without too much disruption.

And despite the various governments round the EU saying no negotiations until article 50 is invoked, I bet there are plenty of discussions going on already. They’ll be an agreement where the EU can say the UK is still a valued member of the club in some capacity (it’s not we ever really committed ourselves to it anyway) and the UK government can say they have negotiated a great exit deal for the UK. It won’t please the ■■■■■■■■ leavers or remainers, but will probably be enough for most people to accept.

hutpik:
Lets hope that it goes more toward the Norwegian way.Unfortunately Norway is one of the more efficient lands,there are more than 20 other countries,some of whom are less than efficient and more than a little corrupt and lazy so we will have to see.

At Millars we run to Switzerland a lot. On a Monday evening crossing the border inbound it’s usually around 15 minutes from handbrake on to handbrake off and rolling again.

As Brit’s importing into Europe, we would only have one border to cross, the ferry port/Eurotunnel exit. Once that’s cleared it would still be open internal borders until you exit the EU again, wouldn’t it?

Simon:
As Brit’s importing into Europe, we would only have one border to cross, the ferry port/Eurotunnel exit. Once that’s cleared it would still be open internal borders until you exit the EU again, wouldn’t it?

Yes, just the one border, only with the amount of traffic going Dover, I doubt you will get the same transit times as Switserland or Norway.
And a lot will depend on the mentality of customs, altough they are sticklers for the rules, there are few as efficient as the Swiss.

On another point, parking facilities at uk and continental ports and tunnel will have to be enlarged considerably, so you can park to do customs, before you get in line for the ferry/train.

bald:

Simon:

Yes, just the one border, only with the amount of traffic going Dover, I doubt you will get the same transit times as Switserland or Norway.
And a lot will depend on the mentality of customs, altough they are sticklers for the rules, there are few as efficient as the Swiss.

On another point, parking facilities at uk and continental ports and tunnel will have to be enlarged considerably, so you can park to do customs, before you get in line for the ferry/train.

Proper parking for trucks in UK? That`ll be a (welcome) novelty!

And a rebirth of the Wheelhouse :smiley:

Simon:

hutpik:

At Millars we run to Switzerland a lot. On a Monday evening crossing the border inbound it’s usually around 15 minutes from handbrake on to handbrake off and rolling again.

That’s how it should work…

I’m still a bit sceptical as to whether we will actually leave the EU, the referendum has no legal basis and too many people in power want us to stay.
I can see the news in a few months time…“The best leaving terms we can get are not in the uk interests” or “We can’t trigger article 50 till parliament has voted for it”.
Then everything will return to normal and the whole thing would have been a waste of time.

hopefully the price of alcohol will rocket ,that way itl be even more profitable when I bring back my normal 40 cases on the bottom bunk and 40 cases on the top bunk of jp chenet every trip…its always a bugger having a kip on the last day out.at least my misses pampers me to death with a bath and a good massage as soon as im in the door… :smiley:

muckles:
the modernisation of the EU would be good, but with 28 or 27 countries having to agree and policies that are being driven by the ideology of an intergrated and expanding EU, I don’t see how it can happen, unless they get some proper shocks so they are forced to change direction or the whole project will collapse.
the UK voting to leave was a bit of a blow, as I think many thought it would never happen, but I’m not sure it’s enough of a shock for the EU to re-evaluate it’s direction.

As for the op’s question, like others not sure, but I think, despite the retoric from some in the EU and the UK, the needs of business and therefore employment will force them to find practical solutions, so trade can continue without too much disruption.

And despite the various governments round the EU saying no negotiations until article 50 is invoked, I bet there are plenty of discussions going on already. They’ll be an agreement where the EU can say the UK is still a valued member of the club in some capacity (it’s not we ever really committed ourselves to it anyway) and the UK government can say they have negotiated a great exit deal for the UK. It won’t please the ■■■■■■■■ leavers or remainers, but will probably be enough for most people to accept.

No single market access without free movement is what they the EU keep on bleating , So unless they drop all the free movement stuff permanently and also stop with their legislation eu directives and other bs , So we make and implement our own laws, inc changes to the human rights laws so we can deport who we want without it taking months or years , so we can stop the flow of illegals, and get rid of these Islamic hate preachers, we need to leave the corrupt dictatorship known as the EU, so no access to single market, we don’t need that crap anyway we would pay less using the WTO route and negotiate our own deals with every country we want to trade with this is what 17.4 million of us all voted for not some half cocked deal where wr are still paying in a ludicrous amount of money and still being governed by them , sick of the EU and its interference in our daily lives

GORDON 50:
I’m still a bit sceptical as to whether we will actually leave the EU, the referendum has no legal basis and too many people in power want us to stay.
I can see the news in a few months time…“The best leaving terms we can get are not in the uk interests” or “We can’t trigger article 50 till parliament has voted for it”.
Then everything will return to normal and the whole thing would have been a waste of time.

The people gave the government a clear instruction as such the traitor of a pm we have could trigger article 50 today without the say so of all the other members sh has all the authority needed and that is legal, regardless of the bias tripe certain MSM publish or broadcast

milodon:
I’m sure it’s going to be more like crossing into Norway than Turkey - 2 minutes with an MRN number or a couple more with a declaration

True but then there is always the French, Spanish and Italian version of " an efficient 2 minute service" to deal with

pidpod:

milodon:

True but then there is always the French, Spanish and Italian version of " an efficient 2 minute service" to deal with

well it’s better than our wages being under threat and kept so low, due to the massive pool of people from outside the uk that employers can choose from