What should a PROFESSIONAL DRIVER earn?

We hear this word so often

But you are professional driver !

So lets say class 1 class 2 & 7.5tn and psv

we will exclude van drivers

What should a professional driver earn per hour ?

£15 plus an hour! :sunglasses: think of all the empty shops IF WE DIDNT DELIVER! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Class 1 should be a minimum of £10 p/h

thetastytrucker:
we will exclude van drivers

Why so? Are they less professional?

I came back off holiday to find my old firm had sold all the lorries and vans and subbed the work out. Their words were ‘luckily we can use you in the office for the same money’ had to say thanks but no thanks.

Ended up taking a van driving job on just above min wage (just moved into my own place and was desperate) they’ve just given me yesterday a 45% pay increase with time and a half after 10 hours And double time weekends.

Fair enough I’m not using my class 2 with this job but I don’t think I’m any less professional for driving a van :confused:

maga:

thetastytrucker:
I don’t think I’m any less professional for driving a van :confused:

The local village idiot can drive a van around.

karl67:

maga:

thetastytrucker:

And an HGV by the looks of some of the accidents we all see

It really should be a minimum of £10 and then £14 and above for some jobs, with overtime after 8 hours.

karl67:

maga:

thetastytrucker:

If the local village idiot has 3k he can drive class 1 too very easily.

Driving round safely without smacking the vehicle up no matter what it is makes you a professional IMO.

Dafman:
It really should be a minimum of £10 and then £14 and above for some jobs, with overtime after 8 hours.

I think overtime is a bit 1950’s to be honest, out of date, if you received a decent rate and none of this “no payment for breaks” malarkey, there would not be any need for overtime, tax man grabs a whole bunch of it anyway. + I cannot see how 8 hours on class1 is feasible, what can you get done in 8 hours. if you averaged 60 hours a week at say 12 quid, that’s 720 a week. when I say 60 hours I mean from the time you arrive at the depot to the time you go home, 100%, whether you are on break, driving, waiting to load/offload etc etc. you cannot say breaks should be unpaid, you are not at your place of work, you are 99% of the time in the middle of buck futt nowhere.

karl67:

maga:

thetastytrucker:

Plenty of idiots driving trucks, see the one on Motorway cops last night?

We are NOT professional in any way.

Any job that allows unskilled immigrants in to replace/supplement/used to undermine current and/or indigenous workers only serves to dumb down the job or tasks to be performed so stop kidding yourselves!

del trotter:

karl67:

maga:

thetastytrucker:

Plenty of idiots driving trucks, see the one on Motorway cops last night?

But he was only looking at a pic of his daughter :laughing: :laughing:

JLS Driver SOS:

Dafman:
It really should be a minimum of £10 and then £14 and above for some jobs, with overtime after 8 hours.[/quI te]

I think overtime is a bit 1950’s to be honest, out of date, if you received a decent rate and none of this “no payment for breaks” malarkey, there would not be any need for overtime, tax man grabs a whole bunch of it anyway. + I cannot see how 8 hours on class1 is feasible, what can you get done in 8 hours. if you averaged 60 hours a week at say 12 quid, that’s 720 a week. when I say 60 hours I mean from the time you arrive at the depot to the time you go home, 100%, whether you are on break, driving, waiting to load/offload etc etc. you cannot say breaks should be unpaid, you are not at your place of work, you are 99% of the time in the middle of buck futt nowhere.

We all wish we got a decent wage I didn’t mean doing just 8 hours but if they want you to work more than 8 and work unsociable hours we deserve it. i use to work for Salvesens and it was just £7 45 but with overtime and night money we were on nearly 40 k. Now I get a fixed weekly wage ( not a salary ) and very rarely go over 48 hours.

Min £10 basic p/h

JLS Driver SOS:
I cannot see how 8 hours on class1 is feasible, what can you get done in 8 hours.

The bulk of our runs are less than 8 hours. Some of the London runs are longer but most can be done in less, in some cases much less. That’s why they’ll only guarantee 40 hours. I do at least 10 per day though, if the mood suits me.

Saw an Aspray 24 advert the other week, Class 1, 5 hours per day, 2-7pm. Depends what you deliver I suppose.

Dafman:

JLS Driver SOS:

Dafman:
It really should be a minimum of £10 and then £14 and above for some jobs, with overtime after 8 hours.[/quI te]

We all wish we got a decent wage I didn’t mean doing just 8 hours but if they want you to work more than 8 and work unsociable hours we deserve it. i use to work for Salvesens and it was just £7 45 but with overtime and night money we were on nearly 40 k. Now I get a fixed weekly wage ( not a salary ) and very rarely go over 48 hours.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Even at time and a half after 8 hours, you’d struggle to get £40k out of 60 paid hours… Unless it was £40k gross for 60 paid hours, actual 84+ hours at work of course. :unamused:

Everyone used to tell me that “salversons were one of the most generous payers around”. £7.45ph don’t sound like much to me. Bugger the “allowances”. Your pay should be what you get when you are on holiday as well, not just when flatting out at 60+ hours per week here and there, and then “annualised”. (analised more like!) :smiling_imp:

Although i don’t do hourly pay. Mine would work out to something in the region of £12.00 to £15.00 per hour. I either get trip money or day rate. Some days i might only do 4 to 6 hours, but get the same as working 15 hours.

thetastytrucker:
We hear this word so often

But you are professional driver !

No you’re not. You are a vocational driver.

I think artic drivers should be on £12 hour.
6 & 8 wheeler divers on £10 hour.
Small rigid drivers on £9 hour.

Unless the haulage rates improve I can’t see it happening.

I won’t be very popular saying this but some drivers have got an over-inflated sense of their own importance,steering a Tesco/Morrisons/Asda etc shopping trolley from RDC to a supermarket and rolling a few cages off the back is hardly taxing,likewise,trundling from a port to a warehouse and sitting watching dvd’s for 3hrs while your container is tipped hardly merits so called “professional” status(these are just examples I am using,nothing personal by the way),you should be paid what you are worth,if the jobs arduous,the kit you are using is worth mega-bucks and needs extra skills/experience to operate or even if you just get on with the job and use your loaf to sort problems instead of phoning the office every five minutes,then obviously your worth more :wink: