What SAT Nav do you use?

1. What sat nav do you use as a truck/car driver?

2. What problems has it given you?

3. What things don’t you like about it?

4. What things do you like about it?

5. How far have you driven with the sat nav?

6. Did it help you find the correct place you were looking for?

7. Did it help you find services you unfortunatley had to use?

Weird thread, but I’d love to know your experiences and I think it may help other people on the forum choose the right navigator - by reading other experiences - if they choose to go far distances.

Look forward to your replies.

i used tomtom 720T with the truck update. i’ve been all over the uk with very few problems. i use it as hands free phone and music player via a cable to the truck radio. i think it’s a perfect piece of kit and i’d recomend it to everyoner

I have a Navman F20 am pleased with it though most truckers seem to favour Tom Tom products.

heres a run douwn of what available

snooper have used it but ive seen one in action personally i think there over priced

pronav use same map data as snooper i wasnt happy when i tested this though there has been an update to the naviagtion app so im hopeful but cant be sure as the reveiw i wrote hasnt gone up yet as my editor is busy with other things but wasnt impressed with the routing

garmin confirmed by garmin pr (got editor to do some digging) this will use the same map data (Navteq) as the above

copilot truck it has been announced but weve not seen anything yet :wink: (Navteq ) data again

directions navigator 8 truck has been released for both pda (windows mobile) and windows pc (laptop) i use this on a regular basis and is actually very good
again ive done a reveiw but it not gone up yet see about this uses teleatlas data as does tomtom work

tomtom work truck only available legitimatly through tomotom b2b |(business to business) and requires a tracking module to work. this has been hack and is available on various download sites though i cant recomend doing this if you do dont connect you device to home

vdo truck available on the 9000 pnd ( personally navigation device) which also has a freeveiw tv built in to it uses Navteq data again

mapping

currently there are 2 map data suppliers in europe Navteq and Teleatlas so what ever device you use if you use a snooper you will have the same veihcle data to enter on each device

many drivers prefer tomootom

if you can find it have look at Nav-n-go who produce the iGO applications this will aloow you to plan you route the way you want to go via adding way points this has the fastest map scrolling and zooming ive ever seen

hope this doesnt confuse you too much

i been useing tomtom products for over 4 years now and im very pleased with them, never had any problems with them apart from the
bluetooth hands free for your fone which is a bit tempermental
have also used route66 and garmin but always went back to tomtom,just found it easier to use

TOMTOM now for 5 years brilliant satnav never had any problems with it.

alix776:
heres a run douwn of what available

snooper have used it but ive seen one in action personally i think there over priced

pronav use same map data as snooper i wasnt happy when i tested this though there has been an update to the naviagtion app so im hopeful but cant be sure as the reveiw i wrote hasnt gone up yet as my editor is busy with other things but wasnt impressed with the routing

garmin confirmed by garmin pr (got editor to do some digging) this will use the same map data (Navteq) as the above

copilot truck it has been announced but weve not seen anything yet :wink: (Navteq ) data again

directions navigator 8 truck has been released for both pda (windows mobile) and windows pc (laptop) i use this on a regular basis and is actually very good
again ive done a reveiw but it not gone up yet see about this uses teleatlas data as does tomtom work

tomtom work truck only available legitimatly through tomotom b2b |(business to business) and requires a tracking module to work. this has been hack and is available on various download sites though i cant recomend doing this if you do dont connect you device to home

vdo truck available on the 9000 pnd ( personally navigation device) which also has a freeveiw tv built in to it uses Navteq data again

mapping

currently there are 2 map data suppliers in europe Navteq and Teleatlas so what ever device you use if you use a snooper you will have the same veihcle data to enter on each device

many drivers prefer tomootom

if you can find it have look at Nav-n-go who produce the iGO applications this will aloow you to plan you route the way you want to go via adding way points this has the fastest map scrolling and zooming ive ever seen

hope this doesnt confuse you too much

What’s this VDO truck thing?..sounds pretty nifty with freeview built in :stuck_out_tongue:

Nokia N96 with a web bolt on. if i get stuck finding somewhere i log in to yell.com and dig the address and phone number up then find them on my map. although the N96 (and my old N95) has satnav, thats as close as i will get to using it :smiling_imp:

jens got the pr blurb on her website from when we attended the lauch of Navteq transport ill get her put a link in this thread if its ok with the mods or ill do it later on today if i get chance

tomtom go
which i bought in launch week 5 years ago
very good was expensive by todays standard
but worth every penny

Using a cheap £45 sat nav from Navigo. new SDHC card and loaded software …
running tom tom…
or Igo8
or newer version of igo called Amigo
Put Garmin on but still prefer Igo8 as there is loads of stuff if you look round.

Far quicker than Tomtom

I use a TomTom GO610 or a Nokia 6110 Navigator (it has an option for car or truck) which I use at work, it still tried to take me down some dubious roads which I decided to not to go down as I was risking getting stuck in a bus but on the whole the Nokia is spot on with its directions…

I have a Tom Tom 910 had it since they came out never had a problem with it used all over UK with no problems used for 4 months in the US with no problems and used in france with only 1 problem so all in all i love my 910 and wont change it till it packs up.

i use the tomtom 730,great for hands free calls and it hasnt got a road wrong yet.

Navigon 1250 max,best bit of kit ever bought.Used Garmin and Tom Tom and this beats them hands down.

I use a good old fashioned map and common sense, if that doesnt work, i stop and ask :laughing:

I use Tom Tom one.

It’s a basic device with no add-ons, but works well. I haven’t got any experience with other brands.

A weird glitch:
Travelling north on the M1, at Milton Keynes it suggests I take the off-ramp,use the roundabout,and then the on-ramp
back to the M1 !! Travelling south, it likes the motorway!

It also insists I use the right hand bore through the Dartford Tunnel…everytime…even if i’m going to Thorrock!

Suedehead:
I use a good old fashioned map and common sense, if that doesnt work, i stop and ask :laughing:

What he said, but with good reason. In our part of the world there’s a lot of farms where you’d end up getting VERY stuck if you follow the sat-nav. All the difficult ones have specific “do and don’t” instructions on the job-sheet.

Missed a farm entrance meself on Tuesday, ended up taking 15 shunts to get over a narrow bridge! :blush:

I went on the cheap and bought a binatone that was on offer for 70 quid in Argos. Its [Zb]. It has poor maps and the voice sounds as if she’s had a few 2 many. Tried it when i was heading 2 maidstone as a test and the journey it gave me was shocking - don’t buy it! Might not get my money back cos of their t&c’s

Adam_Mc:
[

What’s this VDO truck thing?..sounds pretty nifty with freeview built in :stuck_out_tongue:

the tv’s ok, but I think they released it before Navteq got the truck data finalised ( there’s a map update due now but it’s been postponed)

you can’t add your own poi’s either :cry: