What’s a good diversion A1 Huntingdon

Shown in the picture, it’s shut both ways at night frequently. What’s a good diversion for an artic? I can see some B roads round there but surely they arent going to divert 2 directions of traffic on a B road through those villages? Other than that it looks like miles and miles out of the way…

Heading northbound…

Come off at St Neots onto the A428 and head for Cambridge. The posted diversion will take you to the Caxton Gibbet roundabout where you take the A1198 north towards Papworth and then onto the A14 and then onto to the A1M. But you can shortcut a bit by taking the B1040 towards Papworth and shave a few minutes off your journey. There are no bridges under 16’ 6", no tight turns and it’s all easily do-able in an artic.

Southbound from Peterborough is a reverse of the above.

Possibly someone on here with a greater local knowledge than myself may know a quicker way round.

If I remember correctly before the A14 was built,the road south from Huntingdon via Papworth to Caxton Gibbet was an alternative to the A1 south .A left turn at Caxton Gibbet used to take us through Cambridge to wards Felixstowe.Those were the days?

That entire area is a cluster ■■■■ of epic proportions. And theres still two and a half years of works left to go.

It wasnt that long ago they completed the a14west/m11/a14 north junction. Now they’ve ripped it all up and started it again.

Thanks for replies

yourhavingalarf:
Heading northbound…

Come off at St Neots onto the A428 and head for Cambridge. The posted diversion will take you to the Caxton Gibbet roundabout where you take the A1198 north towards Papworth and then onto the A14 and then onto to the A1M. But you can shortcut a bit by taking the B1040 towards Papworth and shave a few minutes off your journey. There are no bridges, no tight turns and it’s all easily do-able in an artic.

Southbound from Peterborough is a reverse of the above.

Possibly someone on here with a greater local knowledge than myself may know a quicker way round.

Indeed this [emoji3516]

I expect that’ll be the official diversion too. The villages either side of the A1 are definitely not an option.

Coming north then is the diversion signed before you get to the A428 or do they let you keep going all the way up to the closure and the divert you back down?

DickyNick:
Coming north then is the diversion signed before you get to the A428 or do they let you keep going all the way up to the closure and the divert you back down?

It’s posted…

From the Black Cat roundabout but, the signs aint the biggest I’ve ever seen. Quite a few of our lot have missed them and come back all Mr Grumpy because they’ve had to turn back.

Just follow the signed diversion, it’s 10minutes longer. Don’t bother trying to go round the little roads it will take your longer and the locals have started to park, making it difficult, or impossible to get thro the villages with 7.5t limits.

Gidders:
If I remember correctly before the A14 was built,the road south from Huntingdon via Papworth to Caxton Gibbet was an alternative to the A1 south .A left turn at Caxton Gibbet used to take us through Cambridge to wards Felixstowe.Those were the days?

Correct, the A1198 south from Huntingdon is the old A14 which ran as far as Royston. The route South to London from Royston was then the A10. What is now the A14 used to be the A45 which was then little more than a country lane. What I can’t reacll is which bit was the A604. Before the M11 and M25 were built traffic for the Dartford tunnel used to wend a tortuous path via Buntingford, Bishop’s Stortford, Sawbridgeworth, Chipping Ongar and Brentwood.

Depending on where your heading you could stay on the A14 and take the M11…or vice versa if north bound. That route is only 3 to 4 mins longer than following the diversion.

Gidders:

Correct, you would then go thro godManchester, over the bridge up Huntingdon high st, you can still go thro Cambridge, but it’s interesting due to the road changes. Have been thro Cambridge a few times lately due to A14 closures,

I’m sure I recall driving from Cambridge through Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow to get to a sugar factory near Chelmsford.
The A604 may have gone from Cambridge to Harwich via Haverhill and Halstead.Memory not what it was.
Sorry to hijack the thread.Nostalgia causing my mind to wander.

cav551:
Correct, the A1198 south from Huntingdon is the old A14 which ran as far as Royston. The route South to London from Royston was then the A10. What is now the A14 used to be the A45 which was then little more than a country lane. What I can’t reacll is which bit was the A604. Before the M11 and M25 were built traffic for the Dartford tunnel used to wend a tortuous path via Buntingford, Bishop’s Stortford, Sawbridgeworth, Chipping Ongar and Brentwood.

A604 started at Kettering and went via Huntingdon, Cambridge, Haverhill, Halstead and on to Colchester and Harwich. A128 was route to Tilbury and the tunnel, it was known by some as Tanker Alley.