What route

I got to go from asda redhouse doncaster to
asda chepstow and as I have never done this
run I’m open to route suggestions.

A quick look I might go M5 j11, A40, A48, A466

I got told the run can be done without nighting out
what you think :question:

The A48 has a couple of low bridges - 14’3"" if I remember correctly, and is a bit narrow in places. We always went that way from Evesham to Chepstow though and it’s a pretty drive.

Yes you should do it in four hours easily.

I just looked at my truckers atlas and your right
there a couple of low bridges at 14’ 3. online
route planners suggest M5 and over the severn toll bridge
but I don’t know if they pay tolls or the trailer heights yet.

Go down via the A48 and back via the bridge, it’s free that way. If they pay tolls… The bridge doesn’t give receipts.

If you’re in an artic don’t take the 466, it’s a very pretty, but very narrow road, & there’s at least one weak bridge on it (17 tonnes I think). All the companies I drive for that go to Chepstow all tell us to use the M50/A40/M4 & pick up the old Severn Bridge road to Chepstow. At least it’s all motorway/dual carriageway.

tallyman:
If you’re in an artic don’t take the 466, it’s a very pretty, but very narrow road, & there’s at least one weak bridge on it (17 tonnes I think). All the companies I drive for that go to Chepstow all tell us to use the M50/A40/M4 & pick up the old Severn Bridge road to Chepstow. At least it’s all motorway/dual carriageway.

That bit of the A466 is fine - It’s only a problem further up.

Santa:
Go down via the A48 and back via the bridge, it’s free that way. If they pay tolls… The bridge doesn’t give receipts.

Most trucks are tracked these days Santa, … :cry:

convoy:
I just looked at my truckers atlas and your right
there a couple of low bridges at 14’ 3. online
route planners suggest M5 and over the severn toll bridge
but I don’t know if they pay tolls or the trailer heights yet.

You have a truckers atlas and you are asking the way ?
Just look it up in the book FFS :laughing:

Santa:

They give them now i got one about a month back

Route i might use - A1M - M18 - M1 - A42 - M42 - M5 ( Jnc 8 ) - M50 - A40 - A449 - M4 - M48 … Then maybe come back over the Bridge M4 / M5 saves on tolls … don’t think there is much in it time-wise … but i stand to be corrected.
Used to do a run from Ripon to Magor … never did round-trip … but i know you couldn’t from Ripon … BUT Redhouse is 1hr closer :wink:

The Rustler:
Route i might use - A1M - M18 - M1 - A42 - M42 - M5 ( Jnc 8 ) - M50 - A40 - A449 - M4 - M48 … Then maybe come back over the Bridge M4 / M5 saves on tolls … don’t think there is much in it time-wise … but i stand to be corrected.
Used to do a run from Ripon to Magor … never did round-trip … but i know you couldn’t from Ripon … BUT Redhouse is 1hr closer :wink:

Same route we use when we go to magor from Goole, normally takes 4 hours

The Rustler:

^^^this…will take you about 4 hours a bit less going back as you dont have to pay for the toll.

Thetaff:

The Rustler:

^^^this…will take you about 4 hours a bit less going back as you dont have to pay for the toll.

I’ve done that a few times day and night and it’s a doddle in one shift, you will be taking down a double decker so use the route above.

The Rustler:

I got told this morning to go this route and come back over the bridge.

Anyone know any HGV BP Fuel Station near by or onroute :question:

I’m pretty sure the services at the bottom of the M50 outside Ross are BP.

The quickest way is definitely M5, M4 to old bridge and over it to Chepstow. Ok I know you have to pay a toll but surely you will get that money back by doing less miles/fuel. And you can use Severn View services for fuel which is right by the old bridge.

Is Michael Wood Serv. on M5 BP :question:

Yes it is.

Trowel and fill up on the way back that way there will be enough fuel for the next driver.

Santa:

They have been giving receipts out since before i started for John Raymonds that was about 2001 just gotta ask for one. If you go over the bridge it saves about 15 mins then going down the M50 & A40 to the M4