what now

Sort of in the same position.

Passed C+E a month ago. Still not so much as a days work from the agencies. Had the same problem when i passed C 6 months ago but it quickly went away and there are plenty of multidrop companies willing to give you a go as not many want the work.

The two years experience problem seems to be much worse on C+E. The sensible agents I have spoken too say I will have to wait until someone gets desperate for chance, most think the next prime opportunity will be sept when it gets busy and some drivers leave the market through CPC.

My advice would be get some experience on C , make a decision on wheteher you invest the extra money on C+E in June. Come on here u will soon get a feel for what work is around. These boards are full of “u will never get a job” posts and “im 18 and just got a job for £600 pw” and trainers saying “there is always work”. The reality is normally somewhere in between and easy to work out for yourself with a bit of common sense filtering.

I went to see a few more folk today. I am now on a holiday/sick cover for a multidrop Co. that is right on my doorstep (not a great situation but it’s a huge improvment on yesterday’s :laughing: ) and one other that I happened upon right around the corner from the first lot. I have to go back next week (fri) so I can take the TM for a spin. The TM who wants me to do an assessment drive has said there is an 18t sitting doing nothing, so that looks fairly promising, the only thing I’m not looking forward to is driving an auto box. I’m going to wait and see what happens with the assessment drive and if that all goes well, it’s defo C+E as the job doesn’t require hiab, ADR etc.

An auto box is quite easy place in drive & go although you do have to drive them slightly different to a manual but dont worry to much

Good luck with it all

I used to drive Eurocargo 7.5 on auto boxes. It was the biggest pain in the hoop ever. I’ve seen me waiting 3-4 mins on the bugger engaging reverse. Then there is the NO CLUTCH!!! It’s all wrong if you ask me :laughing:

Why not spent the money you have no skilling up for class 2 work

HIAB
EPIC
FORKLIFT
CPCS
ETC

and then save your wages from the current job or class 2 work for your bendy.

I trust you’ve been on to the following

Mixer
Skip
Tipper
Plant hire
Couriers
Etc

Good luck with it whatever you decide

Danny_b:
I used to drive Eurocargo 7.5 on auto boxes. It was the biggest pain in the hoop ever. I’ve seen me waiting 3-4 mins on the bugger engaging reverse. Then there is the NO CLUTCH!!! It’s all wrong if you ask me :laughing:

Have driven a Volvo DAF MAN Scania Renault Eurocargo auto most were fine but agree the Eurocargo is rubbish 1 of the Scanias I drive did have a clutch for moving off & stopping :unamused: the other Scania was on the stalk from the steering column the rest were all fine tbh if you have a Volvo & has ishift learn how to use it as it can be an help

Dont have a problem with either as have driven both

Good luck it will give you experience

Daf 65.250. 26 tonner with a 6 speed auto box. By far the worst vehicle I’ve ever driven. Lovely and comfy, quite well specced cab, with Carlos Fandango air horns, but completely underpowered. Random up and down changed all over the place. Found the only way to drive it was right foot to the boards if I was planning on moving forwards. Would still decide to kick itself down a couple of cogs whilst doing roundabouts or tight junctions, total junk.

Tipper Tom:

HIAB
EPIC
FORKLIFT
CPCS
ETC

Mixer
Skip
Tipper
Plant hire
Couriers
Etc

I haven’t worked at all only gained my class 2 in Jan.

the Eurocargo is the only auto box I’ve ever driven. I like to decide which gear I’ll be taking a corner/roundabout in :laughing: . I guess I had best just man up and get used to it, it seems to be the way of most new vehicles.

Where are you from bud?

PaulNowak:
Where are you from bud?

Central Scotland, smack in the middle of Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Danny_b:

Tipper Tom:

HIAB
EPIC
FORKLIFT
CPCS
ETC

Mixer
Skip
Tipper
Plant hire
Couriers
Etc

I meant approach those types of firms to get work and save the same way you are with current wages (I assume that’s what you mean by you now have the money for class 1 training)

Tipper Tom:

Danny_b:

Tipper Tom:

HIAB
EPIC
FORKLIFT
CPCS
ETC

Mixer
Skip
Tipper
Plant hire
Couriers
Etc

I meant approach those types of firms to get work and save the same way you are with current wages (I assume that’s what you mean by you now have the money for class 1 training)

Sorry mate, yeah I have been around them all, they all put up the 2 yr wall, that’s why I have gone out as a driver’s mate just to see how to do things e.g open a curtain, might seem daft to most but if you have never done it before. I could also now say I have skip (chain) exp as I have loaded/emptied a dozen. Plent of the sorry you need 2 yrs exp folks are happy for me to jump in a truck and go see what it’s all about. the money has come in the form of a long awaited tax rebate.

Danny_b:

PaulNowak:
Where are you from bud?

Yep & I will remember that of course :laughing: :laughing:

So take it Livingston as if near there there are plenty of industrial est to go look around

Iceland/Bookers
Aldi
Tesco
Coop
Nica
Lidle

Just to name a few along the M8 ( or you could go to the address I was given a few years back J4 M8 nowt more )

animal:

Danny_b:

PaulNowak:
Where are you from bud?

Yep & I will remember that of course :laughing: :laughing:

So take it Livingston as if near there there are plenty of industrial est to go look around

Iceland/Bookers
Aldi
Tesco
Coop
Nica
Lidle

Just to name a few along the M8 ( or you could go to the address I was given a few years back J4 M8 nowt more )

Livi is my next stomp. I did bathgate on tuesday.

Also Motherwell food park & Bellshill

there is a Greggs of Gosforth in Edinburgh

what’s the class 2 traffic like at eurocentral? Is it worth a stomp?

Danny_b:
what’s the class 2 traffic like at eurocentral? Is it worth a stomp?

Only 1 way to find out that is go look as not sure

I’ll give it a hit while up livi. Just thought I would ask as I’d imagine a few on here are bound to be in and out of there.

Danny_b:
the Eurocargo is the only auto box I’ve ever driven. I like to decide which gear I’ll be taking a corner/roundabout in :laughing: . I guess I had best just man up and get used to it, it seems to be the way of most new vehicles.

Not all auto boxes are alike…

The Volvo and Renault (Volvo box) are great.

The DAF is average

The MAN is ‘oh ■■■■, you want a gear? Really? Don’t be silly driver, sit there another 5 mins!’

The Merc is OK (early boxes less so)

The Iveco is average, depending on the model.

The truth is if you drive a truck regularly, you’ll get used to anything. :sunglasses: