What now...just passed Category C

Just passed this afternoon, 1st time.
After waiting for 6 months for this I now have options I know.
What is best advice to set out? I am based Macclesfield area, obviously need to get some experience but are there any pointers towards good newbie employers in this area? Where I can learn from some experienced drivers and understand the loads and vehicles. Passing the test is one thing, but still loads to learn.

Thanks in advance

I can’t help, but while you’re waiting for someone else to come along, just wanted to say hey and well done and good luck, from a fellow hospitality escapee!

From today’s experience of trying to replace an old-hand trucker - by all means present yourself as keen to learn, but please do be honest with a potential employer, don’t try to blag it pretending you’ve got experience you haven’t got or you could end up just looking like an idiot and wasting everyone’s time.

Today a guy who has only ever used a Class 2 roro for tipping and hadn’t even swapped a bin before, tried to blag himself into a job: first as a Class 1 bulk tipper, then as a Class 2 hook loader driver slinging bins left right and centre around a yard. I’d given the employer a favourable view of the guy because I knew him from elsewhere from some time ago, so he ended up letting me down too.

TCTruckerwannabe:
Passing the test is one thing, but still loads to learn.

Forget to say, hang on to that notion and don’t be shy about sharing your perspective; employer’s love the old “every day is a school day” concept (because it’s true!) and if they’re considering giving you a chance, that positive attitude could be a clincher.

Keep on top of your knowledge - don’t be surprised to get a drivers hours/WTD (and other working knowledge) assessment, as well as a driving assessment. Load security is important too, have a look at the DVSA videos on Youtube.
And when you turn up at works premises, go dressed for work (hi viz, boots, gloves, hard-hat) if they can picture you doing the job it’ll be a major plus point in your favour.

And when you do get a chance of work, don’t be shy about asking an experienced hand how a thing is done, e.g. curtains and ratchet straps, (watch some Youtube vids on the topic when you’re not busy). Get someone to demonstrate equipment like the tail lift - there a very high likelihood that like many newly qualified drivers, your initial experience will be with curtainsiders and pallets.
If you get a chance of bin-wagon style work, grab it! It’ll get your skills up to speed at an accelerated rate.

And finally… Congratulations! :smiley:

PASSING C.jpg
LPLATE.jpg
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

I second the suggestion of bin wagons, it’s a bit of a baptism of fire with some of the narrow lanes you have to drive or back down, and you’ll learn all about your mirrors, but a couple of months of it and you should be sharpened up no end. Also if you have a bump or scrape it’s expected to a degree, you won’t be the first you certainly won’t be the last, and you’ll have plenty of old timers and loaders to help you out.

Hello TCTruckerWannabe and all.
Just wanted to say that I’m in the same boat as you. (Hopefully it’ll be a truck soon but for now it’s still a boat). I passed my Class 2 just before Christmas last year, it was my second attempt after unfortunately failing my first attempt a week earlier following a error of judgement on a roundabout.
I’m pleased to say that my second attempt resulted in only the one minor fault, a ‘progress’ fault for going too slow through what I considered to be a rather narrow gap between a stone wall on my left and a concrete traffic island with lamp post in the centre of the road.
For anyone else reading this with their driving test still to come I’m very pleased with myself for going too slow in this situation and not the alternative. I’d definitely do the same again.

So I passed just over a month ago and since then I’ve managed to pass module 2 and 4 as well. My tachograph card has arrived in the post and my cpc qualification is showing up on the UK Gov driving licence web page but I’ve not as yet received the actual card.
So now I’m wondering where to go from here, I registered with an agency only about five days ago and so far I’ve received an acknowledgement response email but nothing else. I suspect that informing the agency that I only want to work part-time is not exactly going to help my chances of receiving job offers but what do I know? This is a very steep but interesting learning curve.

I’ve been driving for years but not HGVs so this is daunting, exciting, challenging, worrying, thrilling etc etc.

don’t be shy about asking an experienced hand how a thing is done

Ok then…

Zac_A, do you mean when you turn up at a works premises for assessments and the like with this comment?

And when you turn up at works premises, go dressed for work (hi viz, boots, gloves, hard-hat) if they can picture you doing the job it’ll be a major plus point in your favour.

I have been wondering about what to wear when:

1. door knocking at agencies/employers
  2. attending interviews

Does the “wear what you would wear at work” guideline apply in these scenarios too?

I would definitely say so. No one in the haulage industry is looking for a driver in a suit, “smart casual” would be the preferred option: dark coloured polo shirt & fleecy with hi-viz over the top, dark coloured combat-style work trousers, decent boots, pair of gloves, that kind of thing.

It shows them you’re thinking about work and are prepared. Have all your cards with you too (DL, DQC & Tacho card). And a pen and notebook in your pocket.

If you felt uncomfortable being “underdressed” there’s no harm in suggesting you half-expected they might want a driving assessment “so I thought I should be prepared” (music to anyone’s ears). If the interview was going well (and assuming there wasn’t a queue of hopefuls behind you) they might very well invite you for a tour of the yard.

Thanks for all the info/advice everyone and the congratulations too.

I am keen for trying the bin lorries, there is some work doing that not too far away from me advertised for a few weeks now. Best get myself in screws for some of those black combat pants and a new hi vis too!

Regarding driving assessments, is this similar to test scenario? Ie several questions on safety checks of vehicle / walk around checks etc followed by actual driving of vehicle?

Another thing, I have done the tacho course cpc course but never actually used my tacho, I have a card which arrived last week, I assume an employer won’t be put off too much with my lack of experience in this area…
So much to learn…

rb1889:
. Also if you have a bump or scrape it’s expected to a degree, you won’t be the first you certainly won’t be the last, .

It will just be a shame having to declare them all on all your future personal motor vehicle insurance proposals and job applications for the next 5 yrs.

TCTruckerwannabe:
Just passed this afternoon, 1st time.
After waiting for 6 months for this I now have options I know.
What is best advice to set out? I am based Macclesfield area, obviously need to get some experience but are there any pointers towards good newbie employers in this area? Where I can learn from some experienced drivers and understand the loads and vehicles. Passing the test is one thing, but still loads to learn.

Thanks in advance

Congrats mate. Tell that to a good company and they may talk to you, if you have not done deliveries and collections before. Ask yourself what sort of work you want to do. If anything then just go for it. They will pair you with a mentor just until you settle in and get used to it. Now you have to sift the chaff from the grain and get yourself a company to suit you.

Personally I prefer to go for a larger company not like 1 vehicle entrepreneurs but companies with a good fleet then you will get the training.

Don’t go agency yet, or you will be expected to turn up jump in and off you go sort of thing (after doing your manual tacho entry, lorry checks, sorting your load out with strapping down weight balance all that sugar, your fuel the paperwork or digital drop list etc)