What no fridge!

Q.should tramper wagons be fitted with a fridge by law?..I think so.makes a big difference to the drivers moral,so to speak.

What, they don’t ■■■■ in the cab as much?

It’s not a deal breaker

Again with the no fridge debate!

Lets try and get this over and done with quickly.

Drivers think that its completely unfair, that the operator should pay for a fridge and a microwave and motorway parking every night and perhaps a bit a Steak on a Wednesday.

Operators are trying to balance the cost of the truck against profitability, driver comfort, resale value and a thousand other things and if a fridge adds £750 to the cost of a truck, a microwave another £500, the cost of paying someone to risk assess their use and write safe systems of work. Repair costs when the driver inevitably breaks it because they don’t follow the SSOW and it doesn’t matter, its not their microwave anyway…

I have just replaced mine and I specified a fridge in it despite the annoying loss of storage to make space for it. That means that all subsequent vehicles will also have fridges because I feel that if I can’t go out all week without a fridge I shouldn’t ask another driver to. That being said, there are M&S or Waitrose in almost every MSA these days and most petrol stations. You can park behind most Tesco or Sainsburys or even pull up outside the local co-op at a drop on the hazards for five minutes while you pop in for a loaf and a pint of milk if necessary. There are ways to live quite well without a fridge so no, its not a must have.

Shower every day thread, failure.

What no fridge thread, inevitable that it won’t do much better. Be a bit more inventive mate, for example…" Who is insecure about sleeping miles away from home in a recycled sardine tin for £25, whilst your next door neighbour is banging your missus silly? "…

Fridge is probably a deal breaker for me in 2017. It isn’t much to ask for in my opinion and it’s been over 10 years since I tramped in a truck without a fridge

This truck I have now is the first one I’ve tramped in that had a fridge.

I’ve got 2 fridges, one built in for food and the other cooler box for beer, milk and wet wipes.
Also got a microwave.

In fact the other day I thought what I would do if my microwave packed in so now carry me electric cooker for backup, if that fails it’s back to me gas stove and after that I’m back to foraging in bins.

Back in the day it was great to just whack the gas stove on but for some weird reason my company has banned them so I would have to cook incognito.

eagerbeaver:

What no fridge thread, inevitable that it won’t do much better. Be a bit more inventive mate, for example…" Who is insecure about sleeping miles away from home in a recycled sardine tin for £25, whilst your next door neighbour is banging your missus silly? "…

Yeah go on then do the insecure one.

snapper711:

eagerbeaver:

Yeah go on then do the insecure one.

I can’t. I don’t feel confident enough.

snapper711:
Q.should tramper wagons be fitted with a fridge by law?..I think so.makes a big difference to the drivers moral,so to speak.

Spending the subsistence allowance you’re given on meals in cafes etc would be an idea.

Conor:

snapper711:

Spending the subsistence allowance you’re given on meals in cafes etc would be an idea.

^^ Good Answer ^^
Its what its paid for after all, to cover the extra expenses of being out on the road.

Conor:

snapper711:

brave words from a man working on a night trunk on the planet zorg … :unamused:

there is also the aspect of stopping,finding somewhere to park,buying crap overpriced food,not being able to utilise a cool place for ( perish the thought you may wish a drink,yoghurt,or even a chilled wet wipe) to use at your convenience whilst tipping or loading…

I wouldn’t work for a firm who won’t spec a fridge in the unit but expect you to live in it 4/5 nights a week.

eagerbeaver:

Saves me a job…

harrawaffa:
I wouldn’t work for a firm who won’t spec a fridge in the unit but expect you to live in it 4/5 nights a week.

^^^^^^^^^^^

surely the wages would dictate that?
id be away with or without one,though at the same time,id be on the lookout for a similar or better paid job in a full spec truck.
apart from that,if the job is ok,then the fridge would be a bonus.
a cpl hundred quid gets you a good fridge/coolbox that wont take up much space anyway.
no big deal either way,but i wouldnt bin a good job just for not having a fridge unless the new job was on par for work and conditions anyway.

No Company should be forced to buy luxuries for drivers, especially by law…they have enough worries buying trucks,trailers, financing them, just to give you a job…i have always bought my own cooker, pots and pans etc, stocked up with food, and when truck fridges were invented, i bought one of those too…never ever expected any difference, and if i dared to ask the boss…he would have told me where the gate is.
Drivers today are too pampered, expect everything handed to them on a plate, this attitude is passed onto their offspring as well, hence the attitudes of many teens today. I was brought up with respect and never to rely on anyone else, and if i wanted something, to go and buy it, or save for it…trucking is no different…dont expect others to keep you…end of.

It’s more to do with the fact the company don’t care about your welfare. Everyone else will have access to facilities in the canteen/break room or whatever so why don’t the drivers.
Microwaves are a luxury yes but something as basic as a fridge should be there.

for the extra cost then by todays standards every tramping truck should have a fridge as well as a microwave in a full size cab.
what about car transporters though.
unless your the crankies or the clithero kid theres no room to stand never mind anything else.
if it was a smaller outfit,then for the extra cost financed over 3,4,or 5 year,then its pennies.
if your a major player,then that should be offset by the volume of trucks bought and should still be pennies.
the difference being,with the majors,your just a piece of hiviz kebeb meat on a seat,and they wont spend a penny on you if they dont need to.

I’m on a special diet to get me beach bod for next June. Lost a stone in the last 2 months so it’s no treats for me, with the only exception being a lamb shank at Colsterworth.

Surviving on soups, baby plum tomatoes, cereal, mackerel, tuna sweet corn and egg mayonnaise, homemade chilli con carne and spag bol ready meals through the week and eat what I like the weekend.
Combining some daily exercises and plenty of masterbation allows me to lose about 1-1/2 pounds per week.

Calling it the dipper plan diet.