What n where to was your daftest load?

been empty to bellshill from warrington…to find no loads available…rtn empty!
spoke to a tdg driver today,whos on a contract collectin the red (lpn)?pallets,yesterday he went 2hrs to wales to collect a single emty pallet,and that was a planned trip!..fuel economy…my arse! :unamused:

probably to take one box of A4 paper weighing approx 10kg, up to exeter from newton abbot, 35 mile round trip, 1 hour in total, this was done in an 18 tonner!

Couple of years ago the first drop of a 10 drop De Rijke fridge trailer was a 10 kg box of frozen mushrooms to a Delicatessen in Amersham town centre. Even the DHL sprinter driver had a bigger box for them !

not me myself but was a driver that i worked for years ago…
he went from southend to skegness with a empty trailer 44tonne…arrived to pick up the load of 15ton of washers warehouse says no its 15kg of washers.someone in the office got tonne and kg mixed up :smiley:

I once took a load of Potash from Teesside to Great Yarmouth, and my Backload was Yarmouth to Teesside. Domestic down, and imported back :laughing:

To Denso in Leeds…

A factory in Turin was running out of parts and I had time to load make a dash, get as far as possible and tip Turin by Tuesday Morning, However the factory was going to run out by Monday morning so they had also hired in a high roof transit and driver and he had to cram in as much as he could of the available stock.

I had to load the rest and get there as soon as possible,

so after the transit got well and truly stuffed full, including the passenger side front seats and foot well, I got the remainder

two 3x3 foot square cardboard crates weighing no more than 10 kilos each…

looked a bit pathetic up against the headboard on a full length draw bar outfit.

Called the office and pointed out that i was 95% empty and was told that the customer was paying and to run with it…

Only had one problem with the whole run, at Swiss customs in Basle they didnt believe I had come all the way from the UK with just that on board

Another regular run was empty GKN pallets from Avonmouth to Venice

My previous employer sent an o/d from Sheffield to Enfield empty to collect a load that had actually been done 4 months previous. Subbie returned empty & not happy. All in a 44 tonner too. But hey, diesel’s cheap innit.

Whoosh Whoosh and others, click on the link to find out other daft loads :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was discussed here :wink:

fair comment … but as that thread is 4 years old we MAY have picked up a couple more members since then with different experiences :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I had forgotten about the steel coils :blush: :unamused: :unamused:

So many, over so many years just tend to except them and get on with the job. some times it can be easy to be critical when your not in possession of all the facts, also I find if you try to use your experience and suggest alternative ways you end up standing on someones toes, and rarely get any thanks for it.

Do remember once taking a 26t flat from Southport to Buxton for a bag of 100 brick ties. After reporting in to weigh bridge, office girl walked across yard with them under her arm. tied them down on the back and delivered 1kg to Stoke, returned to Southport.

when driving coaches, although operations would try to avoid it, occasionally it would happen where the last few passengers (4 or 6) could go across the country, 2 or 3 hours would not be unusual.

Today I took a 7.5t er from Warrington to Ellesmereport to pick up a hand drill and deliver it to north Liverpool.

there was also the 4 metre wide crate that was notified 3 days in advance to the police and the customer was only to happy to pay the premium for an abnormal load…

it was a die that even in the crate was scarcely 40 cms…

but a good use of a cat 2 STGO truck and flat trailer, for a day from Lincoln to Southampton…
typos between stores and shipping must cost a fortune :wink:

I did Chelmsford to Tunbridge Wells in an 18t reefer with £30 of ham.

Harlow - Lewes to load a 7t self propelled tracked piling rig and deliver it 1.1kms away - then back to Harlow empty on an 8 wheeler plant wagon.

Chelmsford - Ashford, Kent collect 1x 12yd skip - Basingstoke collect another 12yd skip and back to Chelmsford in an 8 wheeled skip wagon.

Went bobtail from Grimsby to Portbury for Celcius first on a Sunday for a trailer that had come up the night before, as there was nothing else to come back came back bobtail too ,all on agency rates££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Last services M4 in S.Wales to Casablanca empty for an urgent load. When I arrived the load was cancelled! This was with a mega cube BTW

Back in about 1992 we had 3 trucks loading in bristol for an exhibition in Moscow.

The boss had got visas for 4 drivers in case of sickness etc.

I was the reserve and was ■■■■■■ off to say the least at being left behind. :imp: :imp: :imp:

On the day of loading the office got a call to say that they couldnt fit all the exhibits and staging into the 3 trailers and could they send another artic.

Hurray i’m on my way :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Arrived in Bristol and loaded…

A 3 piece leather suite. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Delivered to Moscow in a 13.6m tilt trailer.

Went bobtail from Grimsby to Portbury for Celcius first on a Sunday for a trailer that had come up the night before, as there was nothing else to come back came back bobtail too ,

i used to work for a firm that subbed to them when it wer frigoscandia and we,d bobtail from measham in leicestershire to kingslynn,portbury,grimsby and like you if theyre wernt a trailer at one we,d bobtail to another :laughing:
i once carried live cat fish in them big plastic stillages with the metal cage around obviously full of water, from TFE in crick to a big chinease resturant supplyer in manchester

i just rememered this one with TFE ive delivered kangeroo steaks and ostrich meat to companies that supply the top resturants in the country

Canadian furs loaded on top of pallets of ■■■■■ mags FX to Frankfurt. Leave on Sunday morning,of course. Urgent ■■■■■ for USAF ,must deliver Monday morning latest. !!
Then park up at Centrale Bahnhof & sample the real thing. in the Whirlpool ( I am talking about beer ) :laughing:

Monday to friday a total of 5 round trips parcelforce warrington to wembley. A total of 10 trailers and only 3 of them had stuff on.

osteridge!! PMSL

Empty from Gibraltar to Holland for reload! :unamused: Mind you…Derv was something like 38p a litre! on Gib.

Oh… sat on me arris all day at Portsmouth waitin to load banana’s for Rotterdam!

Got said load and off i go, must be there at 7 in morning…get there and tip, reload Antwerpen…Guess what?, banana’s back to uk!! :open_mouth: