What makes a proper driver

To me what makes a good driver is having company’s, and operator’s who are willing to embrace those who have scrimped, saved, and grafted to get a licence in first place, and to give trust that many who have done so wish only to succeed in the industry as ‘good drivers’, but need those who claim to be to already, allowing them into the promised lands to show them that its a career we’ve chosen, not a job.

Secondly, some form of background in a related industry may go some way to getting folk in who view hgv driving as a career and not just a wage, folk who appreciate it’s a hard job and know it takes pride, education, skill to do properly.

Thirdly, just being a decent human being in the first place.

I watch some of Jason Waltons YouTube vids, man I’d be absolutely ■■■■ fuming working with people who have such disregard for the equipment, company, fellow colleagues as his firm seem to employ, If I were the boss of it I’d be sacking the drossy ■■■■■■■■■ and finding new blood as there are PLENTY decent lads out here who want to get going and will show some respect for the opportunity, not many but we are about!!

But Alot of it obviously lays at the company’s door, I mean in the old days we had matrons on wards kicking arse over hygiene, standards of practice, why are there not designated charge hands enforcing the like at the yard?..
Yes I know costs involved BUT surely the small offset against the damage, resale/lease returns on the equipment would make it worth while, plus as we all know a happy bees, happy hive, solid yields.

As for on the road, pfffft basic spirit of allegiance is gone amongst mankind, its so sad yet it seems its well practiced over the waters still, and on many occasions I’ve seen groups of EU lads camped out at services, sharing food and the like, do us brits do it… its proper rare.

It’s been an honour to me to work with lads from abroad many times, who even after only a 5 minute chat, have shared food, and common human kindness over conversations with me and have gone on to be good trusted friends who I’d seek council with at drop of a hat, and it’s exactly the same in return, so again I say we need some bloody humanity back amongst mankind, and less of the ■■■■ the worlds causing which is stopping us doing so.

It’s a bit like with the whole Stobarts way, drivers were taught to be professional, curtious, and almost like the AA in a way, nights of the road if you will.

Alas look at the ridicule its received over the years to the point where they are now basically a laughing stock, which to me is sad as hey Alot of them blokes are to me atleast, the old guard who as a nipper I looked up at and thought, I wanna do that, they gave off a sense of pride, teamwork, and acted in most part as good public spirits on the road, bit like the aussie drivers still do, they will stop and help…

Basically to me humanity is so diseased with its own arrogance now, nowts truly going to bring back the spirit I remember of haulage as a lad out on the roads, used to love meeting foreign drivers at Dover when me dad would be out cab chatting to them in the lanes, or sat in cafe hearing the drivers having good banter, watching em muck in together, or hearing the banter over the cb as we watched the world go by, drivers were regarded then, not now, their just numbers, and that’s bread the culture we see now to me.

But it’s all but gone now as I see it, so imop it needs a permanent renaissance to happen where drivers, and firms push back the wave of PC/HSE ■■■■■■ and work together to bring the spirit of good driving BACK to both company’s and drivers, and show the public that A, drivers are valuable and should be treated as so, and B, they ain’t all vest dwelling drunks on a £7ph killing spree hoovering up cyclists, PROZZIES and the like so as to get home quick for pie an chips and a good session of wife beating, and brain dead window licking.

Alas, I’m a pup so meh what do I know, but I will say, apologies for me rant [emoji38] [emoji16]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Pride & some good honest work ethic.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Maybe we should go back to ropes and sheets, everyone used to help each other fold up their sheets and take the time for a chat etc

eurotrans:
Maybe we should go back to ropes and sheets, everyone used to help each other fold up their sheets and take the time for a chat etc

Steady on mate…things ain’t THAT bad. :neutral_face: :laughing:
My hands are as smooth and feminine as my Mrs now since I stopped doing all that crap. :blush: :laughing:

jakethesnake:
The title sounds like one of my threads. :laughing:
Its a good question but I feel the points you make are more about the people than the driver.
People’s attitudes on the roads have changed since the 70’s as they have in general.
People (drivers) are selfish the same as a lot are in daily life. Nobody cares about anyone else and they are all in such a hurry. I think you will find the polite courteous types (like me :laughing:) in general life are the same ones that will help you on the road.

Although attitudes might have changed since the 70’s, could be many reasons for that, which I’d not like to speculate on because it might take the thread in a whole different direction, I think you sometimes see what to want to see, I think it’s confirmation bias, believe drivers are generally ■■■■ these days and you’ll see the many ■■■■ drivers.

However although I see the Muppets, the inattentive, the aggressive and those who really seem to have no ability to drive a vehicle, whether that’s a car or HGV, I’ve seen plenty who do look ahead, think ahead, are courteous, regardless of the type of vehicle they drive.

The bad drivers get noticed but the best drivers will hardly be noticed by others as they have very little impact on those they interact with on the road, their manoeuvre to make it easier for another driver/road user has probably gone un-noticed by those around them.

muckles:

jakethesnake:
The title sounds like one of my threads. :laughing:
Its a good question but I feel the points you make are more about the people than the driver.
People’s attitudes on the roads have changed since the 70’s as they have in general.
People (drivers) are selfish the same as a lot are in daily life. Nobody cares about anyone else and they are all in such a hurry. I think you will find the polite courteous types (like me :laughing:) in general life are the same ones that will help you on the road.

Although attitudes might have changed since the 70’s, could be many reasons for that, which I’d not like to speculate on because it might take the thread in a whole different direction, I think you sometimes see what to want to see, I think it’s confirmation bias, believe drivers are generally [zb] these days and you’ll see the many [zb] drivers.

However although I see the Muppets, the inattentive, the aggressive and those who really seem to have no ability to drive a vehicle, whether that’s a car or HGV, I’ve seen plenty who do look ahead, think ahead, are courteous, regardless of the type of vehicle they drive.

The bad drivers get noticed but the best drivers will hardly be noticed by others as they have very little impact on those they interact with on the road, their manoeuvre to make it easier for another driver/road user has probably gone un-noticed by those around them.

Yes you are quite correct about what you see. In my younger days as a lorry driver I did not notice so much bad driving although I could still see the complete idiots a mile away.
It has been since my days in training that I tend to notice more bad driving but I also think bad driving has become more prevalent in the last 20 years or so for what ever reason.
Most probably more traffic on the roads and lack of patience and certainly bad attitudes to other types of drivers. Unfortunately, and I wish this was not the case I see far too many idiots driving trucks in the UK when I am here. Yes I notice the good ones but I see far more that just don’t seem to be very professional at all. We all perceive things differently but my perception has been acknowledged by others who know the score.

i have just spent saturday afternoon with some old boys that used to run European out of Poole, most of them would think they are proper drivers as they all think they had the best years of driving, I started on the European late in life as I worked the uk as an O/D then employed some years on the spanners and ran a transport department in a large own account company, then back to what I enjoyed most being on the road, during the early 2000 I was lucky enough to land a job double manning with a friend of mine to Italy, Loved it a new magnum usually only loaded one way, fair money and fair bosses, we had got passed the older not so reliable motors, some good roads, and still some good places to eat and park up, during my time there I always did my best to be as good as I could, whether driving, loading, or introducing youngsters into the job, I have met people that should never be set free with a wheel barrow and some women and young drivers that were excellent at the job, along the way we had a few office types that muddied the water for a while but on the whole it was a good number and over the years I saw most of Europe, Missed a lot of home life which I regret but it was a job I never minded going to, I always say to my children if you do not like your job change it as you will only take the misery home with you, so am I a proper driver, who knows, but I tried to be.

I’ve not been taught any of these things that robroy stated in the opening post, but I abide by every single point made and surely it’s just being a decent human, I.E not a massive ■■■■■ to drive this way, whether your in an artic, a sprinter van or on a moped?

I always find the EE drivers, to actually be the most helpful at DC’s/msa’s. Not just with their “own” but with me and other British wagons if we are struggling backing on a bay, or fastening curtains in a gale. Whilst Stobart Steve sits their in his orange hi vis, Bluetooth earpiece half the size of his face whilst on YouTube scoffing his sarnie

robroy:
6.Give you a warning flash for speed cameras, patrol cars etc.

Surely “proper” drivers don’t need be concerned with the presence of speed cameras, patrol cars etc. as they always abide by the speed limits. Right, robroy? robroy?

proper drivers assume there are still some other proper drivers left to give them the lights about approaching cash camera vans and vosa ect so that they can keep those super hamptons firmly to the floor and crack on. :slight_smile:

ETS:

robroy:
6.Give you a warning flash for speed cameras, patrol cars etc.

Surely “proper” drivers don’t need be concerned with the presence of speed cameras, patrol cars etc. as they always abide by the speed limits. Right, robroy? robroy?

Why do you need to ask?
You tell me bud, …seeing as you seem to think you’re a ‘proper driver’ yourself. :laughing: :laughing:

Pride is a mortal sin but that’s what my heart yearns for now, that and love of course, not that I consider myself king. Pride goeth before destrucion sinners! (Proverbs 16:18 King James Version).

Seriously though I agree with robroy, apart from flashing in which I rarely do seeing how I’m usually going so slow there’s no need to. There are of course many other factors involved with being a proper driver. I would say be considerate e.g. don’t block a side road in traffic (which most people would do IME) would constitute part of being a good driver and always let in your fellow trucker wherever possible.

No.7 isn’t always an option though but when it is I do .

could we add having the ability to just grab the notes and work out where we are going when heading on the road down to wherever it is assuming we left the satnav at home without spending half a shift googling the postcode,checking google maps ,checking the bridge map when every bridge has warnings beforehand,looking at street view and scouring the entire industrial estate so you can see if the can drive or reverse into the gate or wherever.
basically,just grab your notes and wing it as you go assuming you have half a brain.
worse case scenario,phone the company and get a guy to direct you in for the last bit.
bear in mind if its a woman on the phone then unless you see what hand she is waving when she says turn left,then it can also be a bit of a gamble.(with previous experience).
however surely the ability not to be 100% dependant on a satnav would be a reasonable thought?

dieseldog999:
could we add having the ability to just grab the notes and work out where we are going when heading on the road down to wherever it is assuming we left the satnav at home without spending half a shift googling the postcode,checking google maps ,checking the bridge map when every bridge has warnings beforehand,looking at street view and scouring the entire industrial estate so you can see if the can drive or reverse into the gate or wherever.
basically,just grab your notes and wing it as you go assuming you have half a brain.
worse case scenario,phone the company and get a guy to direct you in for the last bit.
bear in mind if its a woman on the phone then unless you see what hand she is waving when she says turn left,then it can also be a bit of a gamble.(with previous experience).
however surely the ability not to be 100% dependant on a satnav would be a reasonable thought?

Reckon you might as well say don’t breathe rather than say don’t rely on your sat nav or any other electronic aid to many on here mate. :smiley:

the clue is in the word “aid”.
i use one for the last wee bit in the uk as id mostly have a clue where im going,and depending where im going in europe then il have it on a bit more.
i know theres lots that crap it when theres road works or traffic jams,but at that point it may be worth looking at.
otherwise,its only on when i want a good arguement with the mealy mouthed english sounding cow telling me when to turn. :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
proper drivers assume there are still some other proper drivers left to give them the lights about approaching cash camera vans and vosa ect so that they can keep those super hamptons firmly to the floor and crack on. :slight_smile:

Now we have a new group to add…

Proper irresponsible drivers. :laughing:

If your seriously looking for a Proper Driver ) Rob..here i am mate..no bullcrap..honest, reliable, trustworthy, polite, old school with a difference..help anyone with a problem, talk to anyone, flash everyone, no bias and thats all for now, ill save some for the next post, oh, one more thing, good looking, mature and retired now. :smiley: :smiley:

truckyboy:
If your seriously looking for a Proper Driver ) Rob..here i am mate..no bullcrap..honest, reliable, trustworthy, polite, old school with a difference..help anyone with a problem, talk to anyone, flash everyone, no bias and thats all for now, ill save some for the next post, oh, one more thing, good looking, mature and retired now. :smiley: :smiley:

I didn’t think anything else TB :smiley:
You’re part of a dying breed mate.
(Not implying that I think you’re dying btw :laughing: …I’m sure you’ve got years left. :wink: )

if you cant tie a dolly or havent smashed your face in with the bit of scaffolding pole you used to clamp down a dwang and broken at least two fingers because your a wimp with no muscles then you shouldnt be sitting in the drivers seat…
cue the next post from someone asking…whats a dolly? :smiley: