What made you want to drive a truck

Dont know if this is been a topic before but why did you become a truck driver was it for the money, the independence, or just because you love / loved trucks .For me it was for the love of it and it still is i never wake up thinking oh no here we go again i do my job with pride even though am driving a tipper at the moment :imp: … My dad and grandad are drivers so its also in the blood i suppose when i was younger i spent as much time as i could with my dad out all week and loved the way every driver seemed to be mates .Things have changed there drivers dont seem to have time for each other no more if you talk trucks to other divers espeically tipper drivers they think your some kind of weirdo Thats why i like trucknet even though you dont get chance to meet other members at least i can chat and share in the job i love .

I grew up within a stone’s throw of Hoveringham Gravels’ yard, where the mainstay of the fleet were these in the 1960’s…

My old man worked for the company, not as a driver but foreman of the Static plant department; he looked after all the conveyors and crushers etc.

Used to hear those old 2-strokes coming out of the quarry every morning, and see them belting through the village flat-out so they could make the top of Thurgarton hill without stalling; not an easy feat then! :slight_smile:

Always wanted to drive a truck after that, to the intense disappointment of my mother who had ambitions for me to be a language teacher!

From an early age used to go on runs with my uncle then later a mate so was only natural that’s where i would go to earn a living. Wish i’d have listened more at school now though instead of day dreaming out the window at the trucks.
It’s given me a reasonable living though can’t really complain.

Used to watch the trucks coming off of the Sally Line ferry when I lived in Ramsgate, with things like “Belgrade” and “Milan” and whatever written on the trailers and I thought “I think I’ll do that”.

watched bloody"convoy" n thought,thats the job for me!,no rdcs,transport managers or tachos in convoy tho ,is there! :unamused:

This did it for me !!!
uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qodnx4hmeDo

The voices told me to

Dad was a driver, two of my uncle’s, a cousin & my little brother is too. In the blood i suppose. As fate would have it my father in law was as well. Strange job at times, love it or hate it but i wouldn’t do anything (much) else (haven’t really got the figure for a ■■■■ star now :open_mouth: ).

I do it for the love of driving trucks! I did a weeks work experience when i was 15 at a transport company and it was one of the best weeks ever! I went down to heathrow with a sound driver in a scania topline and i loved every minute of it! Now i work for/kind of own that company with my dad. It can sometimes be very difficult but there is no better feeling than seeing one of your vehicles going past you on the opposite carriageway and giving the driver a flash and a wave! Its great!.

i didnt think i would get round to being a class 1 driver,something i always wanted to do,when i left the army i was still too young then got married and kids and only now at 31 since being made redundant have i pulled my finger out realised my ambition.in the last 7 weeks ive passed cat c,adr and last week my cat c +e.witha bit of good luck hopefully i will be starting to do the job i ve always wanted to do. next week i am hopefully going out to do a few days work experience with a company,traditional trucking,rope and sheeting,chains etc so im really looking forward to this.

Like a lot of others on here, my old man was a lorry driver and after travelling around the country with him i can remember thinking “i want to do this when i grow up”.- his lorry was a Thames Trader at the time :unamused:
Left school and got a job as a tyre fitter which meant i was involved with trucks straight away and after passing my driving test, i went on callouts and thought i was the king of the road in my Leyland Fg(no prizes for guessing which tyre company i worked for) :laughing:
Any way , sorry to ramble on :blush: when i as 21 all i wanted to do was take my Hgv but the old man said “wouldnt bother with that son,no life at all being a driver”, needless to say i took it passed, and was lucky enough to get a driving job straight away - 1982.
Been driving since then and i think i have gone full cicle, locals,National, International, National - now i am back on locals. . . suits me to be honest.
Guess what? my eldest son has shown an interest in becoming a lorry driver but as much as i try to put him off the idea, the more determined he seems to become. Kids eh . . . . never listen to thier parents!!

Sorry for boring you bye the way :blush: My answer to the initial question should have been “my Dad” :laughing:

“wouldnt bother with that son,no life at all being a driver”,

Sounds familiar ! :laughing:

Was working in a window/door company for 2 years in the warehouse on a forklift. One of the 2 lorry drivers (rigids) was retiring around my 21st birthday so chanced my arm at the company putting me through the test. Starting my 4th week as their driver tomorrow :sunglasses:

For me personally it was the fame and the fortune.

Gave up modelling and adult movies because I wanted to get to where the real action was. I originally took my private pilots licence because I wanted to become an airline pilot, but later learned that planes don’t articulate - they don’t even have a 5th wheel for heavens sake!

I still keep fit as I often push the wagon when I’m at the depot, just incase the high wages or my appreciation society ever drop-off.

Well, that’s my story.
Paul.

[/list]

Well im 15 so i dont drive, but i go with my uncle and have done for like 4 years as much as i could
I want to do the job when i reach the age to do my tests and that.
I always look forward to going with him as i go for days at a time and love visiting new places and it doesn’t bore me and seeing all the nice trucks go past.

Josh :slight_smile:

Josh your uncle must drive very slow if all the nice trucks pass you !!!

The reason I got my licence was because my dad said I couldn’t…the reason I use it I don’t know - quite hooked on playing with big toys though!! Spotted a million wheeler with a big dumper today…ohhhhhhhhh…hehe

Talulah:
The reason I got my licence was because my dad said I couldn’t…the reason I use it I don’t know - quite hooked on playing with big toys though!! Spotted a million wheeler with a big dumper today…ohhhhhhhhh…hehe

kerff kerff niff niff :laughing:

used to see a guy in a sparklin volvo carrying animal waste out of a factor in wrenthope and had a ride to school and had watch that bloody convoy movie and i was hooked!!!

I started off driving 7.5 tonners then got hooked and then took my class 2, finally got that and did 4 and a half years with the same company. Mentioned wanting to do my class 1 and the warehouse man/shunter laughed and said and i quote “you will never pass your class one as long as i have a hole in my ar*e”. That made me more determined to do it and after a long struggle managed to get it. The look on his face when I told him I had pass will stay with me forever :laughing: :laughing:

Went in and had a word with the boss who told me nothing was available on class one, so I went looking elsewhere, got a job night trunking, then managed to get on full time tramping, I cab hopped for a while and then got my own 06 reg Magnum :laughing: :laughing:

Everytime I see that bloke I flash at him and he just stares, in a strange way Im gratefull to him for motivating me do it.