What made you give up?

Not really…I hav’nt worked since spring.
Had to drive to Nottingham twice,though…yesterday.
The roads are full of retards

commonrail:
The roads are full of retards

Yup.

If you disconnected all the driving aids such as ABS, AEBS, stability control, traction control, ASR, lane departure, and all the other ■■■■■■■■ needed due to the incompetence of so many drivers these days in every type of vehicle there is, the roads would be strewn with wreckage within minutes of it starting to rain.

I hung up my keys in 2015, although at the time I didn’t realise it would be permanently.

I passed my test in 1988 and after mucking about on agencies getting experience (and lying through my teeth to anyone who’d give me a chance) I got a job with a notorious Devon based fridge haulier, that was UK tramping work away for weeks, sometimes months at a time. It got into my blood and after leaving them I always looked for similar work but around Europe instead.

The last company I worked for can only be described as excellent. I was there 12 years and saw a lot of Europe, thoroughly enjoyed the job and was paid very well and always treated with the greatest of respect. The work was easy, the hours were very low for Euro fridge work and I was pretty much left alone to get on with it.

The downside for me was that after 27 years tramping and being away from home for weeks at a time I wanted some quality home time before I got too old to enjoy my motorbikes and life in general. So following a small windfall I left the job to take 6 > 12 months off work.

After 7 months when I was starting to look around for a nice day (or night) driving job I came down with a medical condition that destroyed my plans, and most of my life.
I now struggle to walk to my front door let alone climb into a truck. I can’t drive a car and I’ve been told they can only try to manage the condition, there is no cure. Twice since developing it I’ve had bad flairs and each time that happens I stay in the worse state.

I hope one day to get well enough to get out in my car as going from tramping around Europe to being disabled and house bound is a bit of a struggle, as is knowing I’ll never drive a truck again and probably never work again either.

On the other hand, reading here about how the job is accelerating in its ever downward slide maybe it’s not too bad a thing that I gave up when I did?

Rjan:

commonrail:
It’ll be the traffic volumes and standard of driving that push me over the edge.

What is it with people who complain about driving standards all the time?

Britain has some of the best standards of driving in the world. I can’t recall a single instance offhand of a wagon driver who couldn’t drive, and even amongst car drivers the general standard is nothing to complain about.

I wonder if some guys aren’t just so stressed about other things, or so tired from ridiculous working hours, that every small misjudgement or instance of bad form from other road users is an outrage to them. Or indeed, perfectly normal driving from other road users is an outrage to them! :laughing:

Must be utter carnage elsewhere then …

raymundo:

Rjan:
Britain has some of the best standards of driving in the world.

Must be utter carnage elsewhere then …

Relatively speaking it is. You ever watch those Russian idiot driver clips?