What made you do it?

I know this has proberbley been done loads of times but what made you become a driver ?
My reason is simple i used to go to work with my dad on a saturday on the way he would stop a The Coach and Horses in Stone not being older enough to go in i used to watch the A.C.H lorries coming in Hubba Bubba and packet of crisps in watching to my hearts content

Mostly health reasons. I spent 29 years as a fibreglass laminator, then got carpal tunnel problems probably through repetitive strain. Had both wrists operated on. then a couple of years or so later my elbows started giving me problems. this meant i needed two more operations to do a job i was fed up with anyway. Fed up doesn’t come close to covering it.
I spent my days trying to think of ways I could get out of it and kept coming back to driving so i took the plunge at 54 and don’t regret it

This was at the flicks when I was 12 youtube.com/watch?v=NXmhkfOQ … re=related
This was in the cinema when I was a thirteen year old youtube.com/watch?v=5Iblaj8i … re=related
This probably didn’t help either youtube.com/watch?v=olI5xzshtFQ

So you see, I didn’t really stand much of a chance! :sunglasses: I took my class 1 at 21 (1986) and have moaned about the job ever since :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

went with my dad since i was 5 years old and loved every minute of it and from that point i knew i always wanted to do the same as him which i have now done and had my class1 since 2006 is there any 1 else,s dad drove a truck and thats really the only reason u do it now?

I used to watch the trucks coming off of the Sally Line ferry in Ramsgate in the mid-1980’s with things like “Weekly service to Belgrade” or “UK- Istanbul” or “Saudi Arabia overland” printed on the tilts and I used to think, “Yup, I could do that”.

Having been brought up close to lorries then being told I would never be allowed to drive a lorry because of health reasons, me being an awkward Yorkshire kid proved them wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

almost 40 years on since I sew (sawed) up my Huckstep Caliper and fixed wheel trike, it is now dawning on me that they were probably right. I was wrong :blush: :cry:

I started by moving cars in a garage at age 15.
Went into the RCT at age 16+ - too young - like being back at school again after doing all the 6+ months basic training and left at age 17+
Worked on loading dock from 17 to 18
Night foreman at a National carriers sub company at age 19 doing goods in & out + routing
Did car test in a 7.5 tonner at age 19/20 and found I had a natural talent for driving
Multidrop parcels for NCL and other companies till age 30
HGV class 1 (now C+E) at age 30

I have always been ‘connected’ with the movement of goods so ending up as a driver was a natural progression.

6 DAYS old in my carry cot in a Guy big J then any chance we I could go with my dad. Then After my mum and dad split at 10years old I was to P155 0ff my mother. 17 Having ago in my dads 1853 sk down the motorway in spain when I came back started as a Shunter at Avialink.
at 19 a shunter for Reed Boardall then a year later got with my girlfriend and everything went pear shaped didnt take my Class 2 until I was 23 then my class 1 when I was 26.

by 26 I have 2 forklift licences Hgv1 and ADR in all classes except 1&7

Moral of the story for the youngens who want to do their test at 21 dont get your girfriend pregnant unless you have plenty of money!

I got the licence for something to fall back on (Was a ind paint sprayer for BARR) but then one day thought [zb] it, not wasting £1500 to just fall back on and quit my paint job and got into driving.

scottishcruiser:
I got the licence for something to fall back on (Was a ind paint sprayer for BARR) but then one day thought [zb] it, not wasting £1500 to just fall back on and quit my paint job and got into driving.

I often wondered how they got Irn Bru that colour :laughing:

I wanted a very easy job which didn’t require much intelligence or common sense,I also wanted to earn loads of money for doing relatively nothing, and I wanted a job for life in which I would be treated with respect and made to feel like a valuable member of the community.

So,33 years on and still happily trucking along.I made the right career choice,no regrets. :wink:

Back in the early eighties I was a pub landlord but wanted a job with better hours, better money and an easier life so I changed to doing this. I have no regrets.

I’m 4th generation, my Great-Grandad started on a horse & cart in the London Docks, so it was bound to happen, I went with my Dad as soon as I was out of nappies, it ended with me though, my own son has been all over Europe in a lorry with me but has no interest in doing it for a living, he is a Chef in a poncey resturaunt, I’m glad in some respects, this driving lark can make it hard to have a normal life, but it’s put food in my cupboards & allowed the lazy little git to go to catering college & get his diplomas so it aint all bad.

I’ve tried other things, all lorry related, but I’m happiest behind the wheel so i’m going to keep on trucking…